Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Poindexter Village Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Poindexter Village Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 174 total)
  • Author

Bottom line is that the people living in the proejcts are better able to assimilate and hope to escape a terrible envirpnment if they are not concentrated together. Also, they will benefit from a voucher and if they are supervised and commit a crime they should be sent to jail. It is about ntime people take some “personal” responsibilty for their life and if you steal or deal drugs expect to go jail if you are caught. The really said things is that the people on vouchers, get free rent, free heat, free healthcare and free food and still can’t stay out of trouble. Maybe this is the problem…

The sooner these come down the better off everyone including the former residents will be – the projects are a blight on the community and like a plague

Matthew
    Participant

SusanB wrote >>
    Good points labi. What the article deftly points out is that the closing of the “projects” does NOT move these folks into the high end areas (think SN, Clintonville, Bexley) but rather to the already struggling working class areas (South Side, Hilltop) and can sink them. Unfortunately at the present there is no legal way to control whether a landlord takes vouchers, thus allowing these already poor and at risk areas to get worse. The staggering amount of monies that the vouchers will pay (way above market in most areas, ie $800 for a 2 bedroom and $1000 for a 3 bedroom) tempts many a landlord in areas where the average non voucher rents are far lower. There’s a lot of money in play in the low income housing biz.

Many of the secion 8 standards put into law governing lead paint abatements, property standards, etc have been skipped by some landlords who are accepting section 8. It takes a lot of research but I haven’t found a section 8 landlord yet that didn’t skip something. Section 8 people themselves aren’t to blame in most cases, it is their free loading houseguests and the landlords that I blame. Calling the police on bad houses doesn’t do much. Getting them shut down via the court for code violations, MUCH more effective.

people211

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Bottom line is that the people living in the proejcts are better able to assimilate and hope to escape a terrible envirpnment if they are not concentrated together. Also, they will benefit from a voucher and if they are supervised and commit a crime they should be sent to jail. It is about ntime people take some “personal” responsibilty for their life and if you steal or deal drugs expect to go jail if you are caught. The really said things is that the people on vouchers, get free rent, free heat, free healthcare and free food and still can’t stay out of trouble. Maybe this is the problem…
    The sooner these come down the better off everyone including the former residents will be – the projects are a blight on the community and like a plague

Do all people in this neighborhood need to be “supervised” in their new neighborhoods? And is it really necessary for them to “assimilate”? If so, what are they assimilating to?

SusanB
    Participant

I beg to differ Matthew. Many voucher accepting landlords here on the Southside have perfectly acceptable houses. Also it takes forever to get a house shut down for code violations, especially if the landlords go to court and fight it. And if the tenants won’t let you inside (and why would they) you cannot evaluate the interior of the units.

When I said assimilate I meant become a selfsustaining, independent person.

The projects and Pointdexter Village (lets not sugar coat it) is like a petri dish for breeding bacteria. The environment and these buildings encourage crime, poverty and self destructive behavior…

Common sense and any sane person would come to the same conclusion these projects can and should and need to be razed for the benefit of the people living in them today. The sooner the better!

Let’s not get sidetracked by BS or the obstructionists – the projects and Poindexter Village are bad news and need to be torn down – I speak as a person who grew up in a bad area and know the problems of the projects first hand – this place is bad and never will be anything but bad and bad news – ain’t no cultural com fest goin convince me any different – imho

cc

Section 8 housing has a standard 1 year lease. I don’t think it is an ideal program, but for godsakes it is better than the projects.

The PROJECTS model is bad and this place is bad news and has a huge blighting impact on the neighborhood amd will be razed end of story – sorry folks this place is toast and can’t wait to see it come down and a positive contributing asset replace it in King Lincoln – we don’t need any more ghettos in an up and coming urban neighborhood. The vouchers are a great way to mainstream the residents and give them a ticket to a better life! The other theme is that there are plenty of landlords taking vouchers on the Near East Side so gentrification and displacement are myths and a non- issue. The areas around the PV as it is are ghost towns now and have been for 10 years – lets help support the Columbus Schools by taking this blighting influence down and the tower too…have a blessed day!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The PROJECTS model is bad and this place is bad news and has a huge blighting impact on the neighborhood amd will be razed end of story – sorry folks this place is toast and can’t wait to see it come down and a positive contributing asset replace it in King Lincoln – we don’t need any more ghettos in an up and coming urban neighborhood. The vouchers are a great way to mainstream the residents and give them a ticket to a better life! The other theme is that there are plenty of landlords taking vouchers on the Near East Side so gentrification and displacement are myths and a non- issue. The areas around the PV as it is are ghost towns now and have been for 10 years – lets help support the Columbus Schools by taking this blighting influence down and the tower too…have a blessed day!

fuck poor people, praise jesus!

The poor will always be with you! pray for the rapture and the long over due demolition of this blighting factor on the Near East Side – if they can take down Bradely in Franklinton why are they delaying the bull dozing of this cancer – deconcentration and vouchers are good news for the few residents who remain (less than 20% of the units are occupied) and the area! This is the ganglands!

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Maybe we should send the gangbangers to deconcentration camps

madeforsynn

I was over by Pointdexter Village looking around today and it was nothing pretty, all the high weeds,trash,broken bottles,old tires laying in the street, a couple of burned out houses,the rest were either boarded up or empty. I agree with your statement. Pointdexter Village needs to go big time!

News
    Participant

Poindexter Village: Neighbors fear what will follow
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Sunday February 12, 2012 6:04 AM

The historic Poindexter Village public-housing complex on the Near East Side is to be cleared of residents and demolished within a year. The hope is that the 27-acre site will be redeveloped, but some residents worry that the property will sit vacant for years, further damaging a neighborhood already scarred by blight and population loss.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/12/neighbors-fear-what-will-follow.html

mrpoppinzs

I think they should look into turning the existing buildings into low cost apartments which could be used by lower wage hospital employees. New builds are expensive and I am not sure money will flow for such developemnts after all the press concerning the Whitney Condo fiasco.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    I am not sure money will flow for such developemnts after all the press concerning the Whitney fiasco.

That’s like saying developers aren’t interested in The Short North because of the failed Ibiza development.

mrpoppinzs

The Whitney failed on many levels, but one glaring issue was the failure to get any presales. I think the point of the Dispatch article is that the neighborhood is concerned about a lack of development interest for a new build. In the case of the Whitney the opinion of neighborhood leaders was ignored. This area and its available low cost housing is much different than the SN.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 174 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION