Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market - RESOLVED

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market – RESOLVED

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #452209

    AMEEKER
    Participant

    I like the Pearl Market too, but what is the option? Allow retail sales on city sidewalks in whatever that area happens to be zoned? I’m sure that area extends well out of the alley itself and onto the surrounding streets. It would be like a street fair all the time. There has to be some difference, organization, strategic yet still organic planning, (searching for the right word), for these types of markets. That’s not AT ALL to say that the Pearl Alley isn’t well managed or prepared for growth! Just that I’m sure the city needs their great example to be replicable and expandable, and as it is now, it seems like it’s not.

    “T-shirts! Get your Buckeye T-shirts! Tshirts!”

    #452210

    racheltb
    Participant

    I emailed the director asking if there was a way consumers could help with reinstating and/or showing demand for sidewalk vendors. Here’s his response:

    “Admittedly, we are disappointed we won’t have market tents on Broad and Gay Streets. It is our hope that legislation will be introduced, which will permit Pearl Market to once again operate along the sidewalks in these areas.

    We are committed in making Pearl Market a vibrant addition to downtown, and we hope to see you soon. Make sure to mark your calendar for our 3rd Annual Kid’s Day taking place next Tuesday July 26.”

    #452211

    SusanB
    Participant

    [url=http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/18/pearl-market-scale-back-city-code.html]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/18/pearl-market-scale-back-city-code.html[/url]

    #452212

    ZHC
    Member

    Sigh

    What else is new.

    I wish I could say this suprises me, but this is par for the course for downtown for the last 50 years.

    What gets me is not there was a code issue, but that the city agency was not only completely unwilling to reexamine the code to see if it made sense for the given situation but they also were completely unwilling make any sort of compromise that could help the market serve its’ customers while complying with the existing code.

    We need a major mindset/culture change at some of these city agencies, it’s a systemic problem that seems to endure no matter what party runs the show.

    What awful timing as well with Independent’s day coming up and the two new parks opening up.

    There’s just got to be a better way to handle these sorts of issues.

    #452213

    cc
    Member

    The Dispatch article made it seem that they are working on a favorable solution. I guess I wonder why no one looked into it before.

    [i]”Councilwoman Michelle M. Mills, chairwoman of the safety committee, said she’s looking for a solution that can be applied to the entire city.

    The Pearl Market organizers “reached out to us, and I think we’ll find a solution,” she said. “I’m confident.”[/i]

    #452214

    cc said:
    The Dispatch article made it seem that they are working on a favorable solution. I guess I wonder why no one looked into it before.

    [i]”Councilwoman Michelle M. Mills, chairwoman of the safety committee, said she’s looking for a solution that can be applied to the entire city.

    The Pearl Market organizers “reached out to us, and I think we’ll find a solution,” she said. “I’m confident.”[/i]

    Funny thing is we don’t need a solution to be applied to the entire city. That type of thinking is why this city urban living diminished. I understand they need consistency, but with special initiatives to create vibrancy and walkable destinations downtown, they should let Capital Crossroads and special districts have more say.

    For residents and visitors to see this type of energy spill into the sidewalks is encouraging. Why reduce that?

    Get out of the small town thinking bureaucrats. Sheesh

    #452215

    cc
    Member

    I agree. I am not familiar with what would be needed but a special use permit would be a quick fix. Pearl Alley is nice and we need more nice things.

    I also think that farmers markets are getting more and more popular as the ‘local’ movement grows. They seem to be popping up more and more in Columbus. It would not be a bad idea into making such a thing accessible to multiple parties. I would love to see one pop up temporarily on the Ibiza lot and surrounds. I have not been to it, but I have heard good things about the one at the Wexner Center.

    #452216

    Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

    Neighboring suburbs and communities work directly with vendors and small business owners to actively recruit them and even change code to make their communities more business friendly. Ultimately, our suburbs are attracting and retaining these retail businesses permanently and the City of Columbus loses out.

    The City of Columbus cannot compete with the friendliness and attractiveness of our suburban neighbors due to unfriendly Public Service and Right of Way committees. It’s a tremendous disservice to downtown and until both agencies change dramatically, Columbus will never be able to compete with our suburban business district competitors.

    #452217
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

    If it’s becomming that popular, why don’t they allow it to expand north of Gay into Pearl and east along Lynn? The bigger the better.

    #452218
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    SusanB said:
    [url=http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/18/pearl-market-scale-back-city-code.html]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/18/pearl-market-scale-back-city-code.html[/url]

    From that:

    [quote]”We’ve been doing it since 2008 and the city licensing section came to us and made us aware that it’s not allowed under the city code,” said Adam Schroeder, the market’s manager. He said nine vendors won’t be able to sell at the markets this week and others will have to scale back to one day a week to share booth space.[/quote]

    It took them this long to figure out it was happening and that it violated city code?

    #452219
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

    ZHC said:

    We need a major mindset/culture change at some of these city agencies, it’s a systemic problem that seems to endure no matter what party runs the show.

    The problem is that the mindset of some agencies/officials is that of always treating downtown like a “destination” (which it is) instead of more like a “neighborhood”. Too many people look at downtown as a tourist/entertainment destination and a place to work due in large part to the perception that some leaders convey, or don’t convey. Downtown should be thought of and treated more like a neighborhood just as people perceive places like Dublin or New Albany as neighborhoods. (Not sure if that came out right, but hopefully you get the point.)

    #452220

    myliftkk
    Participant

    cc said:
    I agree. I am not familiar with what would be needed but a special use permit would be a quick fix. Pearl Alley is nice and we need more nice things.

    I also think that farmers markets are getting more and more popular as the ‘local’ movement grows. They seem to be popping up more and more in Columbus. It would not be a bad idea into making such a thing accessible to multiple parties. I would love to see one pop up temporarily on the Ibiza lot and surrounds. I have not been to it, but I have heard good things about the one at the Wexner Center.

    One option, would likely be yes, to pull an event permit for the market. This is what the SNBA does for Gallery Hop each month.

    My hunch is some other party called out the city on its selective code enforcement and hence, the sidewalk party’s over for Pearl Market (at least until an equitable policy can be created). To simply aim your fire at city officials because they return to the letter of the law when you don’t know who or what might have preceded their re-direction, is a bit overzealous, and useless in terms of actually crafting an effective policy that can be enforced without exposing the city to unnecessary legal risk.

    #452221
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    AMEEKER said:
    It would be like a street fair all the time.

    Dear god no. That sounds absolutely AWFUL!!!

    ;)

    #452222
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    ZHC said:
    Sigh

    What else is new.

    I wish I could say this suprises me, but this is par for the course for downtown for the last 50 years.

    What gets me is not there was a code issue, but that the city agency was not only completely unwilling to reexamine the code to see if it made sense for the given situation but they also were completely unwilling make any sort of compromise that could help the market serve its’ customers while complying with the existing code.

    We need a major mindset/culture change at some of these city agencies, it’s a systemic problem that seems to endure no matter what party runs the show.

    What awful timing as well with Independent’s day coming up and the two new parks opening up.

    There’s just got to be a better way to handle these sorts of issues.

    Well said.

    #452223

    cbusmom
    Member

    Seriously?! Always picking on the little people. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.