Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market - RESOLVED

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market – RESOLVED

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

Is this the same[s] a holes[/s] city department employees who handle the parking meters? It’s almost like the city wants the downtown development efforts to fail.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TomOver said:
    Walker, for those of us who disagree w/ the city on this, plz suggest what we can do. Thx

Still figuring that out…

murfmurphy said:
    Could the city’s reasoning be that they want to eliminate the Pearl Market and move all of that activity to Columbus Commons?

You may be unto something. The way the market was growing, I thought Columbus Commons and Pearl Market could support both. There is something about markets in a back alley that goes over better than just in a park. My vote is for both, but only because the park needs more people. If not, leave the market be.

joev
    Participant

This is really sad. If it comes down to it, I hope the farmers are the ones who get to stay, rather than the soap and jewelery makers.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

They are concerned about the number of pedestrians the market draws….???…..Really?

Epic fail.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

joev said:
    This is really sad. If it comes down to it, I hope the farmers are the ones who get to stay, rather than the soap and jewelery makers.

I agree. I’m disappointed that the amish/ or mennonite table that set up this year could get the heave ho. They have a ton of baked goods every time, and a bunch of fresh vegetables. I would much rather see them have an opportunity to stay, as opposed to the Giant Eagle gift card booth.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Walker said:
    That’s who it was designed for, and it’s well attended.

Either way, that’s horrible justification for wanting to cripple this event that brings a dose of retail vibrancy to Downtown.

Only meant that it’s inconvenient. I don’t agree with what the city is doing either. We need to nourish our farmers market in any and every way possible.

arualpalm
    Participant

Um, I go down to the market weekly and have never thought the sidewalks were overly crowded. Plus, isn’t that what sidewalks are for……to walk on? People on the sidewalks attracts more gawkers.

It sounds like there is more to the story or some inside politics going on.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

SusanB said:
    It’s almost like the city wants the downtown development efforts to fail.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Pablo
    Participant

Sidewalks must be kept clear for police on bicycles.

2thDoc
    Participant

I really like what the Pearl Market brings to downtown. A twice weekly event in the summer that draws people to the area. If the alley is packed, let it spill out on the sidewalk a little. It’s unfortunate that they may deny vendors willing to sell/support downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

stephentszuter said:
    Only meant that it’s inconvenient. I don’t agree with what the city is doing either. We need to nourish our farmers market in any and every way possible.

Sorry if my post came off as overly harsh. I’d love to see the hours and days of the market expanded, but that’s neither here nor there. There’s a serious issue at hand where the size of the market could be drastically reduced, and I didn’t really want to see this turn into a side-tangent discussion about the hours.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Director Mark Kelsey (an appointed official by the mayor) and his entire department continue to make Columbus a less and less attractive place for small business and visitors. Every year it’s something new: parking meter issues, banning flowers in the public right of way, 8 foot patio umbrellas encroaching on ‘city owned air space’ and yes, now sidewalk vendors at Pearl Market. The ‘Public Service’ department continues to be an embarrassment to Columbus and a disservice to the community at large.

rory
    Participant

lizless said:
    Director Mark Kelsey (an appointed official by the mayor) and his entire department continue to make Columbus a less and less attractive place for small business and visitors. Every year it’s something new: parking meter issues, banning flowers in the public right of way, 8 foot patio umbrellas encroaching on ‘city owned air space’ and yes, now sidewalk vendors at Pearl Market. The ‘Public Service’ department continues to be an embarrassment to Columbus and a disservice to the community at large.

It’s not a big deal if you can’t even get to it due to the department’s asinine mobility planning. You’d think the guy worked for Delaware County and his job was drive people (pun intended) out of Columbus.

SusanB
    Participant

I just looked up what the ‘Department of Public (dis) Service” actually does. These are the folks with the parking meters! The also put in the wheelchair ramps on the curbs of Merion Village and didn’t give Hungarian Village or Steelton any (where people in wheelchairs actually live). They also have not repaved 4th St between E. Morril and E. Hinman, which has more potholes (I do admit that most of the time they are patched) than any other city street per square foot. Epic Fail IMHO. Nice to know that they aren’t picking on the South Side, but rather are incompetent all around (insert sarcasm here).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.