Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market - RESOLVED

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion City of Columbus May Shrink Pearl Market – RESOLVED

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

aka: “Get Your Retail Businesses Off Our Sidewalks!!!”

Via email:

Dear Pearl Market Vendor:

I am sorry to report that we may need to eliminate your booth at the Pearl Market unless the City reverses a decision between now and Monday afternoon. Late last week, the Columbus License Section notified the Pearl Market that it would not permit retail sales to continue on City sidewalks. Although we can fit some more vendors in Pearl Alley between Broad and Gay Street, we cannot accommodate everyone who has submitted payment for booth fees.

For the past week, we have explored a number of options to accommodate everyone, and we have met with City officials to ask for regulatory help that would permit the Pearl Market to continue using its current layout. At issue are City code provisions that permit food carts, but not retail sales, on sidewalks. The License Section is not willing to pursue code changes to allow Pearl Market sidewalk sales because of a concern about the number of pedestrians the Pearl Market draws on Broad Street and Gay Street sidewalks and the precedent such a code change would create.

We suggested a code change during the off season, but were asked to work administratively rather than with Council. Prior to the opening of the Market, we felt–apparently mistakenly–that the issue had been resolved.

Pearl Market Staff will continue to identify additional vending locations in Pearl Alley and Lynn Alley with a goal to keep as many people in the Market as possible. If we cannot accommodate you, we will refund the balance of your July rent and any additional rent that has been prepaid.

Please contact me with any questions or comments you have. I will do my best to be available via email and market cell phone (614-230-3542) over the weekend. I will email you again on Monday with final word on your participation.

Thank You,

Adam Schroeder

Pearl Market & Columbus Commons Market, Market Manager

Capital Crossroads Special Improvement District

23 North Fourth St.

Columbus, OH 43215

614-645-5061

[email protected]

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I never go to Pearl Market anyway, because they’ve got the worst hours of any farmers market ever. Who is available on a weekday before they get off work?! Maybe it’s best for the people that work downtown and can afford to run over there during their lunch breaks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

stephentszuter said:
    Maybe it’s best for the people that work downtown and can afford to run over there during their lunch breaks.

That’s who it was designed for, and it’s well attended.

Either way, that’s horrible justification for wanting to cripple this event that brings a dose of retail vibrancy to Downtown.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Hard to understand why the city wouldn’t go out of its way to maintain something that by all accounts is pretty successful and positive. Have there been any real problems associated with the spillover onto sidewalks?

racheltb
    Participant

I like Pearl Market for my young family because it’s not overly crowded and we can combine with lots of cool free things downtown including columbus commons, scioto mile, and statehouse. I find parking easier downtown than for the Clintonville market!

It sure seems like the City of Columbus wants to eliminate small businesses sometimes. I’m going to connect with the market manager to see if consumer demand (mine) can help at all.

subes222
    subes222
    Participant

The License Section is not willing to pursue code changes to allow Pearl Market sidewalk sales because of a concern about the number of pedestrians the Pearl Market draws on Broad Street and Gay Street sidewalks and the precedent such a code change would create.

What precedent?

Yeah, we wouldn’t want to encourage MORE people to walk around downtown city streets to help with revitalization efforts!! (sarcasm)

Unreal.

myliftkk
    Participant

This is the operative quote, “the precedent such a code change would create” (the other stuff is marshmellow fluff).

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Just read the first part of that quote again:

The License Section is not willing to pursue code changes to allow Pearl Market sidewalk sales [b]because of a concern about the number of pedestrians the Pearl Market draws on Broad Street and Gay Street sidewalks[/b]

That’s insane.

myliftkk
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland said:
    Just read the first part of that quote again:

The License Section is not willing to pursue code changes to allow Pearl Market sidewalk sales [b]because of a concern about the number of pedestrians the Pearl Market draws on Broad Street and Gay Street sidewalks[/b]

That’s insane.

That’s filler… you’ve got to learn how to sift the political wheat from the chaff.

cc

Somebody didn’t get their kickback. You gotta grease the wheels…

misskitty
    Participant

Wow two steps back.
    It’s a shame too because I think the current market is actually rather small and can be lame at times if anything It should be bigger. They have space further down the alleys they could use but I guess the city does not like that idea. Although the north alley can smell pretty bad sometimes.
    I find myself disliking our city departments more and more because they are lame and just don’t seem to get it.

myliftkk
    Participant

cc said:
    Somebody didn’t get their kickback. You gotta grease the wheels…

Not necessarily.

There’s actually a fairly decent case to be made why micro-code changes like what is hinted at, without any real background info into the city’s position, can easily turn into a pandora’s box for a governing entity.

Maybe Walker could investigate the city’s position…?

Schoolboy
    Participant

I’ve always thought the city council loved Pearl Market. When who and why did this come about?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Walker said:

Either way, that’s horrible justification for wanting to cripple this event that brings a dose of retail vibrancy to Downtown.

Walker said:

Walker, for those of us who disagree w/ the city on this, plz suggest what we can do. Thx

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Could the city’s reasoning be that they want to eliminate the Pearl Market and move all of that activity to Columbus Commons?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: