Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City bags meters WAY ahead of Red, White & Boom

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion City bags meters WAY ahead of Red, White & Boom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 167 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I love the valet parking idea for a hot dog stand! Customers *might* object to the dogs doubling in price to accommodate paying a valet service though. ; )

Seriously, I do think small business is frustrated by the attitude and actions of the Department of Public Service. There’s no regard towards downtown small businesses and how their actions challenge us. When we do complain, we are told ours is the only complaint they’ve received (I did this already with the parking meter debacle last time, told the same thing…) and met with little regard or understanding.

A quick and simple email to businesses would have been an appreciated gesture or a call to Cleve Ricksecker (Downtown SID) and he could have passed the word along to businesses. I am on every mail list from the City of Columbus and Paving the Way, there was no mention of bagged meters on Thursday night at 5pm.

No one objects to accommodating RW&B but some communication to our small businesses would have been an appropriate gesture.

If I treated my customers the way the City treats our small businesses, I’d be out of business. I wish our Public Service Director was an elected so we could vote him out, his policies and tactics are an embarrassment to the City of Columbus.

gramarye
    Participant

Next time do it Sonic/Skyway/Swenson’s style and have everyone pull up to the bagged meters, stay in their cars, and walk hot dogs, fried leeks, sriracha slaw, etc. out to everyone. That way at least people have a chance to drive away really fast if a meter maid approaches in the middle of the night, and if you get it on video, it could be both hilarious and instructive.

Alternatively, bribe the meter maid with a Doginator to look the other way. It may be more than such petty individuals deserve, but sometimes such is the price of doing business in a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

Can’t believe I’m going to type this but… just shows, the city is more concerned with out-of-towners with 7 kids and a cooler full of busch light than true downtown revitalization, and supporting small business.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    Can’t believe I’m going to type this but… just shows, the city is more concerned with out-of-towners with 7 kids and a cooler full of busch light than true downtown revitalization, and supporting small business.

But Red, White and Boom gets people downtown :-)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The city can bag my meter.

deraj1013
    Participant

From the Dispatch…

It’s ‘Red, White & Pffft’ for Downtown

By Tim Feran, Marla Matzer Rose and Hannah Poturalski

As people streamed Downtown yesterday for Red, White & Boom, it was clear that the annual fireworks event has shifted its focus to the Arena District.

Stores in the core Downtown area around the Statehouse were planning on normal closing times, maybe even earlier than usual, while the Arena District was expecting the opposite.

Read more

cc

I was at the Arena District last night and it was packed with paying customers. I think Liz could turn RW&B into a big money maker with some marketing and strategery. :)

Also a Dirty Franks mobile vending cart seems like a no brainer (advertisng for the store and event sales).

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

My complaint is mostly centered on the premature meter bagging (5pm the evening prior) and the lack of notice the City gave us.

Small business is clever and nimble, we can respond deftly to challenges when given fair warning when they might occur (when possible). Low sales can be surmounted and offset when we prepare appropriately.

Again, my ask was simple: please inform small business ahead of meter bagging.

City response: sorry, you should have known better…and by the way, yours is the only complaint…

This is how the City continues to treat those of us who have risked everything to invest downtown. It’s incredibly discouraging.

Roland
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    Next time do it Sonic/Skyway/Swenson’s style and have everyone pull up to the bagged meters, stay in their cars, and walk hot dogs, fried leeks, sriracha slaw, etc. out to everyone. That way at least people have a chance to drive away really fast if a meter maid approaches in the middle of the night, and if you get it on video, it could be both hilarious and instructive.
    Alternatively, bribe the meter maid with a Doginator to look the other way. It may be more than such petty individuals deserve, but sometimes such is the price of doing business in a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That’s a damn good idea! Curbside service :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CheeseFoodie wrote >>
    the city is more concerned with out-of-towners with 7 kids and a cooler full of busch light than true downtown revitalization, and supporting small business.

Wow. One day of focusing on the former totally negates all of the investment on the latter?

I think a lot of this conversation has been overly emotional and extremely short-sighted.

There are ways that the issues raised here can be addressed, but it sounds like most people (not everyone) is more interested in just complaining about the big mean unified entity known as “The City”.

The problems have been identified. Lets fix them.

…and so the mayoral campaign begins, not with a bang, but a whisper ;)

Tigertree

When statements are made like “look how much better the Arena District did at capitalizing on the event,”
    you have to consider the appeal of what we do. I am, by nature, a niche business, as are most of Liz’s establishments and almost every store and restaurant in the downtown area. While everyone is certainly welcome in my doors, I am unapologetic about the fact that not everyone is going to find something here. Places like the Arena District serve a vital role in a major city, and every major city has one, it’s the safe familiar center. It is where places like Bucca Di Beppo and Boston’s live.
    So there is not always a marketing angle that could, necessarily, change the outcome.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Again, my ask was simple: please inform small business ahead of meter bagging.
    City response: sorry, you should have known better…and by the way, yours is the only complaint…
    This is how the City continues to treat those of us who have risked everything to invest downtown. It’s incredibly discouraging.

The most disheartening word in the above excerpt is “continuing.” This is not an isolated incident.

That’s a big problem, if not remedied.

As a citizen, I want the city to support small business–and the entrepreneurs that drive it–as much as possible. Treating them with disrespect and disregard is certainly not part of that equation.

The city has a lot on its plate, but it can and must do much better.

Walker is surely right that this problem has been identified. Now how to fix it?

I think what’s frustrating about this one is that it seems to be common sense…just as the city’s gargantuan parking meter rate hike confounded common sense. It shouldn’t have to take a citywide outcry to wake up City Hall every time it makes a foolish decision. The people working for the city of Columbus care about this place as much as anyone, I’ve no doubt; but there has to be a stronger and more consistent sense of communication and collaboration for our city to prosper in the way and at the rate we all want.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Are the bags off today?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tigertree wrote >>
    When statements are made like “look how much better the Arena District did at capitalizing on the event,”
    you have to consider the appeal of what we do. I am, by nature, a niche business, as are most of Liz’s establishments and almost every store and restaurant in the downtown area.

My brother-in-law was working at Tip Top last night and he said they were slammed before the fireworks, dead the 10-11pm hour, and then slammed through close.

I spoke to folks at Due Amici earlier in the evening who said they were busier than expected (their patio was full when I went by around 8:30pm) and stopped by Barrio later on, which was pretty full as well (around 45 minutes before the fireworks were starting). I also ate at Plantain Cafe last night with friends, which was their first night staying open late for Friday dinner service. They weren’t as full as I’ve seen them during weekday lunches, but still did some steady business that seemed to be worth them being open without even giving it much notice or promotion.

Of course, that’s only 4 businesses out of hundreds, but despite their various niches and lack of cohesive marketing, it seemed that those four did ok last night.

Niche or no, I think there’s an opportunity with events like RW&B that are just not being actualized. Perhaps it can benefit some businesses more than others depending upon product and location, but I would love to assist with developing and implementing a marketing strategy for next year and have already sent an email to Cleve & Kacey at Capitol Crossroads with some ideas.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 167 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: