Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City bags meters WAY ahead of Red, White & Boom

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion City bags meters WAY ahead of Red, White & Boom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 167 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

I agree TT. This is exactly why Columbus can be a challenging place to own and operate any brick and mortar business. Especially when YOU the business owner are disproportionately shouldering the risks and trying to create a market, not tap into an existing one.

Whatever happened to that “Mid-Western niceness” everyone used to sell me on when it comes to city workers?

No wonder Wex built his empire in the burbs rather than where it should be – downtown.

Bear
    Participant

sixby9is42 wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>
    I’ll make sure Niki and I head down to Dirty Franks this week to make up for it

Me too.
    And just for fun — are there any privately-owned parking lots in the area, so I won’t be feeding city meters when I drop by? I don’t mind walking a fair bit.

There’s one right across 4th St, but I think that’s all-day parking and it’s at least $4.

No problem. Thanks.

celrae

Thanks for making 4th street a great place to go before or after a downtown event! Make a fuss– the city needs to be held accountable for not taking care of local business.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

rus wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

lizless wrote >>
    The City’s response to my complaint:
    For your information, the City yesterday bagged approximately 2,000 parking meters and installed temporary no parking signs throughout the downtown. After checking with the field supervisors and our 311 Call Center, the City has received no other complaints about the meter bagging, save yours.

311 is unavailable from my cell phone and the the office number for Randy Bowman (Randall Bowman – City of Columbus – 614-645-8376) is a message saying they’re closed for the weekend. Anyone got a better number?
    ETA: I did leave a message at the office number. I suggest everyone do the same.

For your cell, try 645-3111 for 311.

Thanks, I’ll give them a call later.

JonMyers
    Participant

I can’t and don’t even want to imagine the shit storm that would follow, if any other business or operation handled customer service the way the city of Columbus does.

Columbusite

osulew wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>
    I noticed this at Little Palace yesterday afternoon and was thinking the same thing, but obviously if I brought it up it would just be considered as unwarranted negativity. Everything the city of Columbus does is great and this certainly isn’t putting motorists’ needs over downtown businesses’ needs.

The fact that you think bagging the meters was to benefit motorists is the primary reason people consider your posts unwarranted negativity.

I kinda lol’d at that too…since parking meters are for MOTORISTS driving to dirty franks and lp…unless those are some new fangled pedestrian meters…

Umm, who benefits from having extra traffic lanes? Downtown businesses? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Scooterists? Let’s not play dumb here.

somebuckeye
    somebuckeye
    Participant

Met some friends from out of town at DF last night around midnight. Was expecting to be able to park right in front, no such luck. Ended up parking on 5th. Took me WAY too long to get over there and park from Fton. There were a few cops in the restaurant then, who didn’t seem to mind people parking at the bagged meters, but that doesn’t stop people from driving away.

I commented to a friend as we walked around 5th and Rich, “this (downtown) would be a nice place to live if you wanted a really quiet neighborhood.”

gramarye
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I agree TT. This is exactly why Columbus can be a challenging place to own and operate any brick and mortar business. Especially when YOU the business owner are disproportionately shouldering the risks and trying to create a market, not tap into an existing one.
    Whatever happened to that “Mid-Western niceness” everyone used to sell me on when it comes to city workers?
    No wonder Wex built his empire in the burbs rather than where it should be – downtown.

Wex might have gotten special consideration, just like if Huntington and Nationwide had raised hell about the meter bagging, Mr. Bowman and his bureaucratic ilk might have found a little more heat on them from above.

Then again, even Liz might have gotten some consideration had she actually known what was going on and therefore known that she needed to get in touch with some people to raise her concerns. Like she said a page or two back, the surprise factor was the City’s biggest misstep here.

JonMyers
    Participant

You’re probably right Gram regarding the sway of bigger players here in town.

Although, I run across the “I’m gonna teach them a lesson” approach to getting things done or rather not getting things done in Columbus.

This is usually some stubborn asshole, who seeks to prove something for the sake of proving something.

Cookie

Columbusite wrote >>
    Umm, who benefits from having extra traffic lanes? Downtown businesses? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Scooterists? Let’s not play dumb here.

Come on, people. We’re talking about motorists here, not parkists.

chaptal
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>
    I noticed this at Little Palace yesterday afternoon and was thinking the same thing, but obviously if I brought it up it would just be considered as unwarranted negativity. Everything the city of Columbus does is great and this certainly isn’t putting motorists’ needs over downtown businesses’ needs.

The fact that you think bagging the meters was to benefit motorists is the primary reason people consider your posts unwarranted negativity.

I kinda lol’d at that too…since parking meters are for MOTORISTS driving to dirty franks and lp…unless those are some new fangled pedestrian meters…

Fred Ricart?

JoeMitchell

I would have just parked at the bagged meters, did anyone park at one and get a ticket? Transportation probably gave orders not to tow/ticket until this morning. Dirty Franks could have played dumb and acted like they paid to have the meters bagged for the anniversary event, probably not the best idea but a possibility, then customers are happy for free parking.

I don’t know how the city could have responded differently, don’t shoot the messenger, it’s more the process of how transportation handles meter use requests. If one wanted to burn money and be a ass one could apply for meters anywhere in city, get the meter numbers and pay the daily fee. Simple process, I have done it with a two day lead, then the only vehicles allowed are ones permitted by user. The city should require longer lead times and issue notices to property owners where property is adjacent. A possible fix for events would be for business/property owners to purchase the meters themselves, then provide parking foc for customers.

gramarye
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    You’re probably right Gram regarding the sway of bigger players here in town.
    Although, I run across the “I’m gonna teach them a lesson” approach to getting things done or rather not getting things done in Columbus.
    This is usually some stubborn asshole, who seeks to prove something for the sake of proving something.

Oh, I’m willing to believe that, sight unseen, too.

I’d say lizless should design an enlightened business-friendly list of priorities and then challenge Coleman for mayor on the Republican ticket with that as her platform, but (a) that would mean taking her away from her restaurants (neither funny nor realistic) and (b) that would mean putting an (R) after her name (fracking hilarious, but not realistic).

JonMyers
    Participant

Gram, I’m about to lose my ability to vote in Columbus here soon, but I’d love to see Liz do run for office.

I think she has the smarts, vision and social intelligence to lead.

Core_Models

JonMyers wrote >>
    Gram, I’m about to lose my ability to vote in Columbus here soon, but I’d love to see Liz do run for office.
    I think she has the smarts, vision and social intelligence to lead.

She’d have my vote…and my time devoted to her campaign…and my dollars in her political war chest…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 167 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: