Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City asks Liquor Control to shut down 13 more bars

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife City asks Liquor Control to shut down 13 more bars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Bear wrote >> Jesus. I wonder what kind of immorality they think will result if households exceed 600ml of wine per day.

Perhaps ask Andrew? I’m sure he could give a full account :-)

I’m actually kind of serious… the effective date is listed as 2007, so if I’m reading this correctly this is a very recent bit of asshattery, not some archaic blue law. I kind of wonder what’s behind it.

I mean, my stepfather has a couple of glasses of wine every night. Someone told him two glasses of red wine are good for your health, and he likes it, so he drinks them every night, like clockwork. And they often have guests over. Despite what my occasional posts on the subject might imply, he goes through more bottles in a month than I do, by a long shot… and if my mom joined him, they’d be the kinds of people (along with chronic alcoholics and the French) who probably constitute 90% of the people who’d be in violation of this law. I don’t quite get the point.

The French… maybe that’s it. Could be the whole Freedom Fries thing.

Thory
    Participant

@michaelcoyote So true. Columbus is not the same thing as Ohio. Some days…

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

Thory wrote >>
    I think Athens has a limited number of liquor licenses available. Seems like generally such limits are set by population.
    Edit: Columbus also limits the amount of wine one household can purchase in one year.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4303.233

Jesus. I wonder what kind of immorality they think will result if households exceed 600ml of wine per day.

Dear lord- they finally found a way to drive me out of the state! ;-)

Seriously though, this must have some weird story behind it. Perhaps certain family businesses were illegally reselling wine from their house or charging per head for big parties…or something…?? Very strange indeed.

kit444
    Participant

SJT wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

Thory wrote >>
    I think Athens has a limited number of liquor licenses available. Seems like generally such limits are set by population.
    Edit: Columbus also limits the amount of wine one household can purchase in one year.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4303.233

Jesus. I wonder what kind of immorality they think will result if households exceed 600ml of wine per day.

Dear lord- they finally found a way to drive me out of the state! ;-)
    Seriously though, this must have some weird story behind it. Perhaps certain family businesses were illegally reselling wine from their house or charging per head for big parties…or something…?? Very strange indeed.

That’s probably what it is. The language seems structured that way–referring to cases as in bulk purchases. The limit is high, nearly 300 bottles per year. I wonder how they would enforce it. If you buy wine by the case, do they track it somehow?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Only one way to find out…

Cookie

kit444 wrote >>
    If you buy wine by the case, do they track it somehow?

If they do, Trader Joe’s has me on a terrorist watch list.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

http://www.dailypets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/wine-cat.jpg

Oh they are on to us alright. I don’t know how they tracked us down though…

dirtgirl
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    I’m actually kind of serious… the effective date is listed as 2007, so if I’m reading this correctly this is a very recent bit of asshattery, not some archaic blue law. I kind of wonder what’s behind it.

I looked and it’s bizarre. 2007’s budget bill (HB119) added the following:
    No family household shall purchase more than twenty-four cases of nine-liter bottles of wine in one year.

Which makes no sense. What is a nine-liter bottle and does it really come in cases of 24?

They amended it in 2008 (SB150) to read 24 cases of 12 750mL bottles.

My guess as to why this happened in 2007 is as a response to the recent US Supreme Court decision to allow consumers to purchase directly from out of state wineries. The wholesalers probably wanted to keep you from buying tons of California wines and sharing it with your friends. But it was so badly drafted, it had to be fixed in the 2008 liquor clean-up bill.

Bear
    Participant

But I seem to recall being told that a different law limits you to 1L per person per year purchased from out of state, whether it’s mail order or not (!). Whether that’s still on the books, or not, or never was, I dunno.

I scanned through that, and it appears that it only limits how much wine a household can buy…not beer or liquor. That’s odd. But, whew! At least I guess I’m legal for buying large quantities of vodka while out of state, and bringing them back across state lines, because damned if I’m going to pay more for the vodka I use to make gift liqueurs. So, I may be legal for buying gallons of cheap vodka out of state, but I’m not legal because I manage to use a bottle of wine a day?…Or, maybe the law only applies if I’m cost conscious, and I buy by the case. Maybe, as long as I don’t want that 10% discount, I can buy all the wine I want??? In any event, give me a break!

bababoohi

“Which makes no sense. What is a nine-liter bottle and does it really come in cases of 24?”

I think a case is nine 1L bottles, not 24 9L bottles. And I think you can order 24 cases equalling 216 total bottles of wine. I may be wrong but that’s how I read it, though it was worded very poorly. 12*750mL or 9 1L bottles, it’s the same amount of wine.

Columbusite

I’m surprised to see Jeff’s Place on there. They have a sign clearly stating it’s 30 & up with ID. Maybe they should add “no guns allowed”.

Lakee911
    Participant

bababoohi wrote >>
    “Which makes no sense. What is a nine-liter bottle and does it really come in cases of 24?”
    I think a case is nine 1L bottles, not 24 9L bottles. And I think you can order 24 cases equalling 216 total bottles of wine. I may be wrong but that’s how I read it, though it was worded very poorly. 12*750mL or 9 1L bottles, it’s the same amount of wine.

Agreed.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

stupid booze laws

Houserules

Would doubt the state would shut Zeno’s down

http://www.governor.ohio.gov/News/PressReleases/2009/September2009/News93091/tabid/1215/Default.aspx

Cathy Collins-Taylor has a pretty good working relationship with the Ohio Licensed Beverage Association, who’s state treasurer just happens to be Dick Allen, owner of Zenos. The executive director of the OLBA is Phil Craig of the Craig Group who was a major fundraiser for the Strickland Campaign. Taylor is no pushover and knows there are bigger fish to fry than Zenos … not as if he’s having extacy parties at Zenos.

Mary Funk is the driving force behind the witch hunt for Zenos, she lives in the area and has been a thorn in Zenos side for 15 years.

http://www.ohiohighways.net/hwn/HWN%20200811.pdf —-> the 2nd page shows a similair motion made last year at this time

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: