Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City asks Liquor Control to shut down 13 more bars

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife City asks Liquor Control to shut down 13 more bars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I know this was mentioned briefly in the Sloopy’s thread, but I figured it was worth giving some additional attention due to the longer list of establishments.

From here: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/12/09/copy/liquorobject.ART_ART_12-09-09_B3_2NFUHQ0.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Objections filed by the city by neighborhood:

• Downtown: Club Ice, 40 E. Long St.

• East Side: Aruba Club, 4281 Eastland Square Dr..

• Near East Side: Long & 20th Carryout, 1032 E. Long St.

• Northeast Side: Brentnell Mini Mart, 2070 Leonard Ave.; East Side Market, 2110 Leonard Ave.; Jeff’s Place, 1402 Joyce Ave.

• North Linden: Mobil Mart, 2727 Cleveland Ave.

• North Side: Morse Quick Mart, 1570 Morse Rd.; Sweeney’s, 4432 Walford St.

• South Side: Lockbourne Marathon, 1509 Lockbourne Rd.

• University District: Pay Less Auto Service, 744 E. Hudson St.; Sloopy’s, 2619 N. High St.

• Victorian Village: Zeno’s, 384 W. Third Ave.

Coreroc

seems like most of these are not even bars but more like quick marts. I will say a few of those make total sense.

howatzer
    Participant

Is Zeno’s on the list just for cigarette violations? I don’t really think of that place as rowdy.

Lakee911
    Participant

I saw Zeno’s on the list on the news the other night. While I always hated that they let people smoke, I did go there a lot during undergrad. I miss that place. I haven’t been in years.

blammo
    Participant

howatzer wrote >>
    Is Zeno’s on the list just for cigarette violations? I don’t really think of that place as rowdy.

Read the PDF linked in the original post; it cites Zeno’s for underage sales, and two counts of “insanitary conditions”, as well as 1 telephone harassment (?) and motor vehicle theft.

I always thought it was “unsanitary”; insanitary just sounds crazy!

howatzer
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

href=”https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/city-asks-liquor-control-to-shut-down-13-more-bars#post-254496″> >>
    as well as 1 telephone harassment (?) and motor vehicle theft.

Zeno’s stole a car?

blammo
    Participant

howatzer wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    as well as 1 telephone harassment (?) and motor vehicle theft.

Zeno’s stole a car?

I suppose you get cited for any wrongdoing that happens on your property? You should read Sloopy’s list.

Hael

Pay Less Auto Service?

So if these business’ lose their booze licenses will this free up those licenses for new establishments? Is there a finite number of allowable liquor licenses within an area?

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

Zeno’s has actually stopped allowing people to smoke inside. It’s about time. They must have gotten tired of paying all those fines.

Core_Models

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hael wrote >>
    Is there a finite number of allowable liquor licenses within an area?

I think there’s some kind of limit per square mile or something like that. UA recently passed an exemption for the Kingsdale area so they could put several restaurants there – but maybe that’s UA and not Columbus.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Hael wrote >>
    Pay Less Auto Service?
    So if these business’ lose their booze licenses will this free up those licenses for new establishments? Is there a finite number of allowable liquor licenses within an area?

Columbus limits the number of licenses available for a particular area.

Thory
    Participant

I think Athens has a limited number of liquor licenses available. Seems like generally such limits are set by population.

Edit: Columbus also limits the amount of wine one household can purchase in one year.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4303.233

Correction: Ohio limits wine purchases. Lighten up, Ohio.

Bear
    Participant

Thory wrote >>
    I think Athens has a limited number of liquor licenses available. Seems like generally such limits are set by population.
    Edit: Columbus also limits the amount of wine one household can purchase in one year.

Jesus. I wonder what kind of immorality they think will result if households exceed 600ml of wine per day.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Thory wrote >>

I’m pretty sure that’s the State of Ohio, not Columbus

Bear wrote >> Jesus. I wonder what kind of immorality they think will result if households exceed 600ml of wine per day.

Perhaps ask Andrew? I’m sure he could give a full account :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: