Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cincinnati Development News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Cincinnati Development News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 183 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

UC area project to start at last
    1:33 AM, Dec. 12, 2011
    Laura Baverman

CLIFTON HEIGHTS — Ten years after city planners pegged four acres between Calhoun and McMillan streets in Clifton Heights for a multimillion dollar redevelopment, construction on U Square at the Loop is set to kick off in January.

The $78 million complex, to include offices for the University of Cincinnati, 161 market-rate apartments atop retail stores and restaurants, parking garages, a hotel and a park, will be the largest local project besides The Banks to break ground since the recession. It’s scheduled to open by school’s start in 2013.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111211/BIZ01/312110019/UC-area-project-start-last

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I have a few things to say:

1) I was in New Orleans a month ago, and this one guy told me something that kind of shocked me. When I was Standing on Dauphnie Street, I looked over at the high-rise buildings of New Orleans and he said, “Over there we call that American Town, and here in French Quarters we call it well you know, French Town.” I was shocked when I walked across Canal Street (which cuts between “American Town” and “French Town”) how empty it was. It was just a punch of small street with high-rises, and none walking around. Yes I know New Orleans is known for the French Quarters, which was bustling 24/7.

2) I think at the corner of 3rd and Gay is perfect for a high-rises development. First floor high scale Club/Restaurant/Bar and 2-25 hotel, which would be close to the Convention Center.

3) It’s been said a thousand times: Street Car

4) I was walking around the River South today and I noticed there’s a lot of places to live, but not many restaurant (Other Than Milestone 229). IN-FILL the RiverSouth.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I have a few things to say:

1) I was in New Orleans a month ago, and this one guy told me something that kind of shocked me. When I was Standing on Dauphnie Street, I looked over at the high-rise buildings of New Orleans and he said, “Over there we call that American Town, and here in French Quarters we call it well you know, French Town.” I was shocked when I walked across Canal Street (which cuts between “American Town” and “French Town”) how empty it was. It was just a punch of small street with high-rises, and none walking around. Yes I know New Orleans is known for the French Quarters, which was bustling 24/7.

2) I think at the corner of 3rd and Gay is perfect for a high-rises development. First floor high scale Club/Restaurant/Bar and 2-25 hotel, which would be close to the Convention Center.

3) It’s been said a thousand times: Street Car

4) I was walking around the River South today and I noticed there’s a lot of places to live, but not many restaurant (Other Than Milestone 229). IN-FILL the RiverSouth.

Cincinnati? What???

Anyway, between the streetcar, The Banks, Over the Rhine, and this new project I really feel like a trip to Cincinnati is in order!

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Cincinnati? What???

Anyway, between the streetcar, The Banks, Over the Rhine, and this new project I really feel like a trip to Cincinnati is in order!

Sorry I meant about Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pickerington_Kyle said:

It sounds like what he was referring to on the other side of Canal Street is the Central Business District, which just like every CBD in America, is largely only vibrant during the 9-to-5 workweek.

According to Wikipedia, the CBD in New Orleans is home to only 2000 people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Central_Business_District

Meanwhile, the French Quarter is a neighborhood half the size, with double the residential population, and is essentially the region’s most prominent entertainment district.

News
    Participant

Wine Guy Bistro to open at The Banks
    12/21/11

The Wine Guy Bistro — a restaurant, wine store and wine bar with a location in Norwood — plans to open at The Banks riverfront development by March.

The bistro, which has three other locations in Ohio, has signed a lease for a 6,400-square-foot restaurant along Freedom Way, said owner and founder Craig Decker.

READ MORE: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/developingnow/2011/12/21/wine-guy-bistro-coming-to-the-banks/

News
    Participant

Mahogany’s coming to Banks
    7:05 PM, Jan. 10, 2012

DOWNTOWN – Mahogany’s Cafe and Grill, an upscale African American-owned soul food restaurant in Hamilton, will open its second location, at the Banks in April. Co-owner and executive chef Liz Rogers has signed a lease for 3,500 square feet along Freedom Way between The Holy Grail Banks and coming Tin Roof.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120110/BIZ01/120110025/Mahogany-s-coming-Banks?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CBusiness

News
    Participant

Kao USA to make downtown move, add 50 jobs
    Business Courier
    Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Beauty product manufacturer Kao USA Inc. is planning a new downtown Cincinnati headquarters and will add 50 jobs in the city. The company made the announcement today at an afternoon press conference, at the downtown offices of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber. Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory and JobsOhio President Mark Kvamme were on hand. “We’re creating new jobs, getting companies to expand,” Kasich said. “We were in a very deep hole. Now, we’re starting to come out of that hole.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2012/02/14/kao-to-make-downtown-move-add-50-jobs.html

columbusmike
    Participant

Kasich, how about we focus on creating small business jobs that actually give back to our communities instead of hoping big businesses will land in Ohio? I suppose that isn’t as glamorous for the photographers and re-election bids.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t know the details of this relocation & expansion beyond what’s presented in the story, but it sounds like a good deal to me. Cincinnati not only retains a growing company, but they’re being relocated into Downtown. What’s not to like?

GCrites80s
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Kasich, how about we focus on creating small business jobs that actually give back to our communities instead of hoping big businesses will land in Ohio? I suppose that isn’t as glamorous for the photographers and re-election bids.

I bet I could get Kasich to show up because of the intern that I just took on for 4 hours a week. Any time someone gets hired he shows up, taking credit.

News
    Participant

Cincinnati To Break Ground On Streetcar Project
    By: Associated Press | NBC4i.com
    Published: February 17, 2012

Cincinnati’s mayor and other officials ready to break ground on the city’s streetcar project with help from the U.S. transportation secretary. The city says Secretary Ray LaHood will join Mayor Mark Mallory in a Friday afternoon ceremony.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/feb/17/cincinnati-break-ground-streetcar-project-ar-936041/

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

ENQUIRER EXCLUSIVE: Music Hall: What is and what could be
    11:28 PM, Mar. 12, 2012

A proposed sale agreement for Music Hall that was to be reviewed Friday by the Cincinnati Planning Commission will be delayed until an unspecified later date, city officials said Monday.

Jack Rouse, head of the Music Hall Revitalization Co. Inc., the group seeking to buy the 134-year-old Over-the-Rhine facility, said it requested the delay after pushing back the construction start date on a $165 million renovation by one year to spring 2014. The Enquirer first reported the construction delay last Friday.

“We got a little more time to work with when we moved the construction,” Rouse said. “More time is always better.”

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120312/NEWS/303130013

Brant
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 183 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO