Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cincinnati Development News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Cincinnati Development News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cincinnati’s New Tallest Building Topping Out

By Associated Press

Published: July 13, 2010

City leaders will be part of a celebration planned for Tuesday as the final piece will be placed into the “grand tiara” on top of the Great American Tower at Queen City Square. The 41-story building is the new tallest building in downtown Cincinnati, surpassing the former champ, the Carew Tower.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/jul/13/cincinnatis-new-tallest-building-topping-out-ar-147595/

Photos from here: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,3170.3540.html

The Hegemo

I’m impressed at how fast this has gone up, and it’s not a bad looking building. But as a native Cincinnatian, I am a little bit sad that the Carew Tower isn’t going to be the tallest building in town anymore.

However, it would be nice to see a new skyscraper surpass the Rhodes Tower here…

RoundTowner

I was in Cincy last week, that building is incredible, classic architecture with a modern punch. Also, check out Museum Plaza, under construction in Louisville, at 62 stories, it’s taller than any building in Cincy, Indy or Columbus. Speaking of which, when are we going to get a mega/signature Tower??

tree_sketcher
    Participant

I think some of the architectural moves are a bit corny; but i really like how the predominantly glass facade compliments the historic buildings that are Brick and Stone. This is something we desperately need here in CBUS in my opinion. Just two or three contemporary glass & steel tall buildings would really set off our skyline.

Cincy really has pulled alot of big moves together in the last several years. Kudos.

futureman
    Participant

The Hegemo wrote >>
    I’m impressed at how fast this has gone up, and it’s not a bad looking building. But as a native Cincinnatian, I am a little bit sad that the Carew Tower isn’t going to be the tallest building in town anymore.
    However, it would be nice to see a new skyscraper surpass the Rhodes Tower here…

Between this new building, a streetcar line with construction starting as early as this fall AND The Banks[/url] downtown Cincinnati is seeing a lot of progress.

All of this happening during the worst recession in 80 years makes it even more impressive!

Talcott

As much as I tend to complain about new designs, I do really like this one. It looks modern, but also meshes well with the other buildings around it. I’d be happy to have something like this in Columbus, although skyscrapers (while pretty) aren’t at the top of things I think Columbus needs to push for.

I do think that Columbus already has a signature tower in the LeVeque Tower (or A.I.G. Citadel, which is a much cooler name). We will get taller towers, we already have taller towers, but if people associate one skyscraper with Columbus, that’s the one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Design-wise, I think this new building looks nice.

Envy-wise… meh… I’m over skyscrapers. If you work in one, the magic wears off quickly. If you don’t work in one, then it’s nothing more than a visual object. There’s nothing touchable about it. There’s no interaction. It’s non-functional to the majority of the public.

I’d rather see 10 new 5-story buildings in Downtown Columbus than one new 50-story building.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

Yeah, its easy to fall into that trap of “tower envy” as I’ve heard it called before. I would much rather have really vibrant streetlife in downtown than a dead downtown with a few more cool skyscrapers. Having said that though, if done right, i think there can be both. I think too that because Columbus made the leap and became a “skyline city” with our 10 400’+ buildings; we should make our skyline visually as strong as possible with a few key additions to balance it out and minimize the boxiness. If we decided a long time ago like DC and Madison that we didnt want skyscrapers, I personally would be perfectly fine with a comfortable 3-10 story density across the board.

anillo
    Participant

Yeah, while I wouldn’t say no to another sky scraper downtown, I definitely think we need to fill in the rest of downtown (aka get rid of most of the surface lots) before it starts to get built up high again. The most bumpin places in Columbus that add the most character to the city are definitely not the tallest.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Does this count as a new “skyscraper” in Columbus?

Downtown Hilton Hotel Breaks Ground Today

Or is it not tall enough? ;)

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Does this count as a new “skyscraper” in Columbus?
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/hilton-ground-breaking-tuedowntown-hilton-hotel-breaks-ground-today
    Or is it not tall enough? ;)

Definitely not tall enough. I don’t know how tall the Hilton will be, but based on the picture, I don’t think it qualifies. I’m going to propose two rules of thumb:
    1. The news release must say how tall or how many stories the building will be. If it isn’t notable, then it’s probably not a skyscraper.
    2. The building has to be taller than it is wide. This doesn’t appear to qualify.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

if only we could go back to this and start over.

News
    Participant

Mercer Commons looks for balance
    5:28 AM, Nov. 13, 2011
    Written by Lisa Bernard-Kuhn

OVER-THE-RHINE – Developers remaking this neighborhood are facing one of their biggest tests yet: Balancing the need to save historic architecture with the need to build new, side by side. Monday, they’ll present latest plans for Mercer Commons, a $54 million project that aims to double the footprint of space that’s already been rehabbed in pieces in Cincinnati’s largest historic neighborhood.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111113/BIZ01/111130329/Mercer-Commons-looks-balance

News
    Participant

Mercer Commons design gets thumbs down
    8:15 PM, Nov. 14, 2011

DOWNTOWN – A 54 million plan to build new condos and townhomes next to rehabbed historic buildings in Over-the-Rhine may be heading back to the drawing boards.

Monday, the city’s Historic Conservation Board voted 6-0 to deny a recommendation for new designs for a four-story condominium and retail building in the 1300 block of Vine Street. The board also voted 4-2 to reject a recommendation for designs for new townhomes proposed along Mercer Street.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111114/BIZ01/111150325&Ref=AR

News
    Participant

The Banks growing bigger faster

Nov. 27, 2011

DOWNTOWN – Developers are preparing to break ground in coming months on hundreds of new riverfront homes and storefronts that will further shape The Banks as the region’s newest and largest waterfront neighborhood.

READ MORE: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111127/BIZ01/111270319/The-Banks-growing-bigger-faster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 183 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS