Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bakersfield Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Bakersfield Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

shortnorth6

Pablo
    Participant

Looks like this is replacing the Chinese restaurant at Buttles and High – 731 N. High St.

futureman
    Participant

Is this the China Bar/Black Olive space?

If so, great to see Dae Oh group leaving the area – terrible restaurants!

hdtvohio
    Participant

I love Bakersfield. It’s in Over the Rhine down in Cincinnati. It seems a little redundant because it is pretty similar in concept (besides the whiskey features)to El Camino Inn. They’re in different neighborhoods though, so this works. I’m pumped that there’s a second Tex-Mex type place in the Short North so that La Fogata isn’t the only SN Cinco de Cuatro location.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Looks like this is replacing the Chinese restaurant at Buttles and High – 731 N. High St.

Oh, Thank God.

ETA: It says the owners of this are the same people who own Currito, which is opening next to UO down on campus.

surber17
    Participant

futureman said:
    Is this the China Bar/Black Olive space?

If so, great to see Dae Oh group leaving the area – terrible restaurants!

Here is what I love about the growth and popularity of Short North — in the past you were praised just for opening a restaurant, now the demand for that area is so high that only the truly well thought out and good restaurants will survive. A big win for my taste buds.

mbeaumont
    Participant

surber17 said:
    Here is what I love about the growth and popularity of Short North — in the past you were praised just for opening a restaurant, now the demand for that area is so high that only the truly well thought out and good restaurants will survive. A big win for my taste buds.

Exactly. And to me, that’s phase two of the development of not only the neighborhood, but of our overall food scene.

I hate to ever see anyone’s dream go up in smoke (McCaskey’s Grill seems to be a good recent example), but hopefully it’s going to take more to be successful in the Columbus food scene moving forward. That’s a good thing.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Good to see someone fresh take over that spot. The last few Dae Oh restaurants somehow always seemed empty even on days when the short north was bustling with people.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

LOVE Bakersfield. Glad to see them move north.

News
    Participant

Bakersfield Restaurant Expanding from Over-the-Rhine to the Short North
    Published on June 26, 2013 12:40 pm
    By: Ayana Wilson

When Joe and John Lanni opened the first Bakersfield Restaurant in Cincinnati in Over-the-Rhine, it was with the intention of being a completely unique concept that featured cuisine prepared for and named after the “Bakersfield Sound”: firmly country with a rock n’ roll influence. Buck Owens and Johnny Cash, among others, defined this type of music, and their legacy and lifestyle inspired the eatery known for tacos, tequila, and bourbon.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/bakersfield-restaurant-expanding-from-over-the-rhine-to-the-short-north-aw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via FB:

We’re gettin’ framed up, folks! Construction continues..

mbeaumont
    Participant

Nice! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to this place opening!

Kahiki

Bakersfield? Frezno?

What’s with all of these restaurants named after unpleasant California central valley cities?

What’s next, the Yuba City Gastropub?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I have been to the location in Cincy’s OTR and I’m sure it will do well in the SN. I almost wonder if this might have been a better fit for Gay St. or that general area of Downtown Columbus, though.

David

Kahiki said:
    Bakersfield? Frezno?

What’s with all of these restaurants named after unpleasant California central valley cities?

What’s next, the Yuba City Gastropub?

Inland Empire!!! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS