Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Chipotle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Chipotle Plans to Double Its Use of Local Produce

ZAK STONE

Editorial Assistant

June 30, 2011

While taco trucks will always be the first stop for authentic tortilla-bound meals, fast food chain Chipotle does a respectable job bringing consistently tasty burritos to the masses. What’s cool about Chipotle, as GOOD has noted before, is that it puts serving high-quality, fresh, and, more than ever, local food at the center of its business strategy. Just last week the chain announced plans to double the volume of locally grown produce served, from about 5 million pounds in 2010 to more than 10 million in 2011.

READ MORE: http://www.good.is/post/111/

gramarye
    Participant

This kind of business strategy will increasingly become good business as well as good PR as shipping costs rise.

tolemac5050
    Participant

guess it is Chipotle for dinner tonight!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If 68 cents of every dollar spent at a local business stays in the local economy, and only 43 cents of every dollar spent at a national/chain business stays in the local economy, where does Chipotle fall?

Furthermore, if Chipotle is using sour cream made in Ohio, but a local restaurant is using sour cream from outside the state, which option is the best choice for someone looking to support local businesses?

Lots of interesting gray area here in the old local vs chain debate. ;)

DonnaTate

Is there a Chipotle type restaurant that’s local? If so, I need to check it out! I had Chipotle almost every day when I was pregnant.

In the scenario you described, I’d have to go with whichever place has better tasting food and service.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeesh.

Schoolboy
    Participant

So can/will a person even really process that much food AND do not chew it at all.

Just seems like such a waste to me.

2thDoc
    Participant

Over 4000 calories in under 3 mins. At least he avoided a crazy insulin spike by ordering the diet coke.

geoyui
    Participant

2thDoc said:
    Over 4000 calories in under 3 mins. At least he avoided a crazy insulin spike by ordering the diet coke.

You should google Molly Schuyler. 72 oz steak under 3 minutes, 360+ wings in 30 min.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    You should google Molly Schuyler. 72 oz steak under 3 minutes, 360+ wings in 30 min.

I knew before I even googled that she would be small/thin. It’s amazing that so many lighter weight people have dominated this “sport” in the past few years.

Black Widow FTW! ;)

News
    Participant

Chipotle Has Stopped Serving Pork At Hundreds Of Restaurants
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    JAN. 13, 2015, 7:47 PM 163,940 24

Chipotle says it stopped serving pork at hundreds of its restaurants after suspending a supplier that violated its standards. Chris Arnold, a spokesman for the Mexican food chain, told The Associated Press it was the first time the company stopped serving a topping for its burritos and bowls. He said Chipotle learned of the violation by the supplier Friday through a routine audit and did not have a timeline for when carnitas would return to affected stores, about a third of its total base.

READ MORE: http://www.businessinsider.com/chipotle-has-stopped-serving-pork-at-hundreds-of-restaurants-2015-1

surber17
    Participant

A company doing the right thing and sticking to its morals? ….. makes me want to eat there even more

OneBagTravel
    Participant

bauce move

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE