Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Chick-fil-A

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Chick-fil-A

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    I can’t wait until Tom chimes in on the Colorado shooting thread and somehow turns it into a vegan issue as well.

Tom, your social ineptitude and complete lack of keeping things in context is truly staggering beyond words.

Enough is enough, already.

THANK YOU.

TomOver said:
    They are consistent in a limited sense maybe. Don’t see Christian conservatives wanting to bar from adoption rights, military service, teaching in schools, and so on, the vast majority of people who engage in the very un-Christian behaviors of pre-marital sex or other things such as drunkenness or gluttony.

Further still, many of the conservative Christians seem intent on imposing the cross on others, instead of imposing it on themselves as Christ commanded.

Few if any of these Christians follow what Christ says about turning the other cheek or loving their enemies. Pretty sure they don’t want their boys to be sissies that turn the other cheek.

Pretty sure many of these Christians embraced the US wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, some of them seeing it as a holy war and relating to Bush 43’s references to a crusade. So much for turning the other cheek and loving your enemies.

On top of that, few if any of these conservative Christians who oppose gay marriage and abortion seem inclined to following what Christ said about giving everything we have away to the poor or about how it’s easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than it is for a rich person to enter kingdom of God.

No sir, many of these Christians who grasp at Biblical straws to oppose abortion and the rights of queer folk, seem not interested in following Christ when it comes to taking a stance against the violence, materialism, and injustice of the world we live in.

They put a figurative spin on what Christ said about those things, when they can’t ignore them. Yet they take literally Old Testament passages about homosexuality and overlook the fact the New Testament has Christ saying very little, if anything, about homosexuality.

Have actually read a Bible?? There is violence, injustices, and materialism in it, all in the name of God. What, you think God was some fun loving hippy, who pranced around washing away mistakes like mr clean?

Homosexuality in the New Testament

Last time I checked, the Crusades was a war… What EXACTLY are in those Fried Green Tomatoes anyway?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker said:
    Yeah, let’s keep this on topic everyone. THANKS.

At the end of the day, if that is Chik-Fil-A’s beliefs and it’s across the board, I can’t get mad at them. They are only practicing their belief. Boycott them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

The Peoples Champion said:
    At the end of the day, if that is Chik-Fil-A’s beliefs and it’s across the board, I can’t get mad at them. They are only practicing their belief. Boycott them.

True enough. If you don’t like the provider, don’t buy the product.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Have actually read a Bible?? There is violence, injustices, and materialism in it, all in the name of God. What, you think God was some fun loving hippy, who pranced around washing away mistakes like mr clean?

Homosexuality in the New Testament

Last time I checked, the Crusades was a war… What EXACTLY are in those Fried Green Tomatoes anyway?

I’m not a Christian, so don’t have to be consistent with what Christ commands. But those who claim to be, perhaps ought to be consistent.

Matthew 19:24
    Matthew 5:39
    Matthew 5:44

As for the violence of the Crusades, was that something that Christ commanded or something that people did, using religion to justify their actions, just as conservative Christians currently do regarding Queer folk?

Such conservative Christians nowadays seem similar to how Christian conservatives of other times called on their religion to justify slavery, the oppression of women, or the genocide against Native Americans. All very Christ-like things, right ?

And they don’t seem to be following Christ regarding not judging others (Matthew 7:1, 7:5)

Again, I’m not to be held to this standard. Never claimed on these threads to be a disciple of Christ.

As for the violence of the Old Testament, it shows the sacred text is the work of human beings, not the word of God. Again, never claimed on these threads to believe in any god or to be a follower of Christ. But perhaps admire the figure of Christ as a great, but flawed and honestly mistaken human being. That’s not the same as putting much stock in the books written by human beings many years after his death.

TomOver said:
    I’m not a Christian, so don’t have to be consistent with what Christ commands. But those who claim to be, perhaps ought to be consistent.

Matthew 19:24
    Matthew 5:39
    Matthew 5:44

As for the violence of the Crusades, was that something that Christ commanded or something that people did, using religion to justify their actions, just as conservative Christians currently do regarding Queer folk?

Such conservative Christians nowadays seem similar to how Christian conservatives of other times called on their religion to justify slavery, the oppression of women, or the genocide against Native Americans. All very Christ-like things, right ?

And they don’t seem to be following Christ regarding not judging others (Matthew 7:1, 7:5)

Again, I’m not to be held to this standard. Never claimed on these threads to be a disciple of Christ.

Ah… The infamous “back stage” exit…

geoyui
    Participant

I’m all for boycott as I’ve been doing that already before I knew of their policies. We have choices we can make once we have the information available. But how does an anti divorce, homosexuality, sterility, etc. stance really help you run a fast food chicken company? Why have it in place?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I’m all for boycott as I’ve been doing that already before I knew of their policies. We have choices we can make once we have the information available. But how does an anti divorce, homosexuality, sterility, etc. stance really help you run a fast food chicken company? Why have it in place?

Good question. Maybe they got an anti-wealth policy too based on their Christian faith. (Luke 18:22, Matthew 19:24)

geoyui said:

It seems to be working for Chik-Fil-A… And it’s HQ is in the Bible Belt, so there you go. I’d have a problem if they fired all the workers that they found out were homosexual. But, they are consistent with their stance across the board.

I’m divorced, but don’t tell them….

Twixlen
    Participant

It seems to be working for Chik-Fil-A… And it’s HQ is in the Bible Belt, so there you go. I’d have a problem if they fired all the workers that they found out were homosexual. But, they are consistent with their stance across the board.

I’m divorced, but don’t tell them….

But how is firing someone for being gay any different from refusing to hire them in the first place? Or refusing to hire anyone who isn’t affiliated with a church?

rus
    rus
    Participant

geoyui said:

Maybe it attracts some customers? I can’t see it, but who knows.

Twixlen said:
    But how is firing someone for being gay any different from refusing to hire them in the first place? Or refusing to hire anyone who isn’t affiliated with a church?

Nothing like that happened at Chik-Fil-A (yet), you’re just making more of it than there is. Why are you always going Defcon 2. Cross bridges when you get to them.

Nothing like that happened at Chik-Fil-A (yet), you’re just making more of it than there is. Why are you always going Defcon 2. Cross bridges when you get to them.

Twixlen
    Participant

Nothing like that happened at Chik-Fil-A (yet), you’re just making more of it than there is. Why are you always going Defcon 5. Cross bridges when you get to them.

Of course it’s happened – it’s part of their policy. And I don’t get where you think my comment was Defcon5 – I was asking you a question, one that perhaps you hadn’t considered.

So – what you are saying is this – You are OK with discrimination. Got it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 584 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!