Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Chick-fil-A

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Chick-fil-A

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    There was some similar weirdness with Exit Trinity Realty a while ago.

It appears Walker deleted all the threads.

http://tinyurl.com/6ny5xdh

I was informed that the anti-gay guy at that company was fired, so the threads were removed at the request of the business owners, which I thought was fair. Feel free to PM or email if you have questions about that.

I think this Chick-Fil-A story is in a completely different league as this stance is coming from the leader of the business and not from an individual employee.

As Twixlen said, it’s really not surprising news, as this type of thing has been hinted at before, but I thought this was the first time that the head of CFA has “come out” in public against gays.

geoyui
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Looks like I have been boycotting them too.

It is surpring how many businesses have a religious slant when you delve more into it. My insurance agent keeps telling me how active he is in his church and how pro family values and community he is. Maybe I should ask him what he thinks of ‘the gays’?

There was some similar weirdness with Exit Trinity Realty a while ago.

It appears Walker deleted all the threads.

http://tinyurl.com/6ny5xdh

Let’s not forget the Salvation Army.

Gays Deserve Death – Salvation Army[/url]

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Love Chik-fil-A the 3 times a year I eat it. Will continue to eat it, even though I don’t support their views. I don’t send a questionnaire to every other retail establishment I visit to make sure their views are the exact same as mine.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ColumbusTime said:
    I don’t send a questionnaire to every other retail establishment I visit to make sure their views are the exact same as mine.

No one did this with Chick-Fil-A.

jimbach
    Participant

I haven’t eaten at a Chick-fil-A in decades, but I’m hardly their target audience.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Jesus would prefer Raising Caines.

Or maybe not. Food for thought, or thought for food (though some of us here might call for Walker to selectively enforce staying on topic when something makes us uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to openly and rationally weigh the merits of the issue.)

The following is an excerpt from omnivore Kamran Pasha’s Huffington Post article, Was Jesus A Vegetarian ? (Scroll way down to get to the excerpts.)

“The evidence that Jesus was a vegetarian, or at least early Christians who knew him were vegetarians, was compelling. But it seemed to be a minor doctrinal point, with little historical significance.

“And then I came across a remarkable book by Keith Akers,The Lost Religion of Jesus: Simple Living and Nonviolence in Early Christianity which posits a shocking thesis — that the central event of the Christian faith, the Crucifixion, was predicated upon Christ’s willingness to fight for animal rights…”

“The book truly makes compelling arguments that vegetarianism was intrinsic to Christ’s message of love and compassion for the world, and that gentleness toward animals is a prominent theme in Christ’s parables…”

“The most powerful argument that Akers makes is that Christ’s rejection of animal sacrifice brought him into direct conflict with the Temple Priests, leading to Christ’s arrest and trial under Pontius Pilate. Akers has the remarkable ability to point out evidence in the biblical texts that is hiding in plain site.”

But one Biblical example that’s contrary to this is where Christ is said to have sent evil spirits that were possessing a human into a herd of pigs that then ran to their deaths over a cliff.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Or maybe not. Food for thought, or thought for food (though some of us here might call for Walker to selectively enforce staying on topic when something makes us uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to openly and rationally weigh the merits of the issue.)

The following is an excerpt from omnivore Kamran Pasha’s Huffington Post article, Was Jesus A Vegetarian ?

“The evidence that Jesus was a vegetarian, or at least early Christians who knew him were vegetarians, was compelling. But it seemed to be a minor doctrinal point, with little historical significance.

“And then I came across a remarkable book by Keith Akers,The Lost Religion of Jesus: Simple Living and Nonviolence in Early Christianity which posits a shocking thesis — that the central event of the Christian faith, the Crucifixion, was predicated upon Christ’s willingness to fight for animal rights…”

“The book truly makes compelling arguments that vegetarianism was intrinsic to Christ’s message of love and compassion for the world, and that gentleness toward animals is a prominent theme in Christ’s parables…”

“The most powerful argument that Akers makes is that Christ’s rejection of animal sacrifice brought him into direct conflict with the Temple Priests, leading to Christ’s arrest and trial under Pontius Pilate. Akers has the remarkable ability to point out evidence in the biblical texts that is hiding in plain site.”

Hey Walker –

Would you mind selectively enforcing us to stay on topic here, so Crazy McVegan Pants will can it with the tired ass vegan jesus posts that nobody wants to read?

mrpoppinzs

Not religious in the least, but isn’t there a bible story of him multiplying the loaves and fishes. He might only have aided in the slaughter and not actually taken part in the meal…

Regardless, I agree with Snarf and think this thread could be insightful if it doesn’t get too off topic.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Yea! Now Tom, you know the rules. Start a new thread.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Not religious in the least, but isn’t there a bible story of him multiplying the loaves and fishes. He might only have aided in the slaughter and not actually taken part in the meal…

Thx for intelligently adding to this discussion. But as a reminder, my previous post, in which I myself offered contradictory evidence, was presented as food for thought, not a declaration of truth.

Well, anyway, will not continue w/ this by posting here, so as to keep my side note from becoming something that derails this thread. U or anyone else can pm me, if interested

geoyui
    Participant

TomOver said:
    though some of us here might call for Walker to selectively enforce staying on topic when something makes us uncomfortable to the point of not wanting to openly and rationally weigh the merits of the issue

It’s not that it makes us uncomfortable, it’s more about etiquette. If someone was being interviewed about their stance on gay rights by a group of journalists and then some random journalist asks the question “how do you feel about Jesus being a vegetarian?” how would you expect others to react?

DonnaTate said:
    I’m just curious why the only thing people get out of their stance is an anti-gay message. Without even clicking on the full article, it’s just as obvious they’re anti-divorce… and the biblical definition of a family unit surely includes children.
    No homosexuality, no divorce, no sterility or simply choosing not to have children. Sounds to me like they’re equal opportunity discriminators.
    It’s easy enough to soak your chicken in pickle juice before grilling or breading at home.

Best comment yet. It wasn’t just anti gay, they were consistent with their religious beliefs. Right or wrong, they are consistent, hats off to them. That’s rare nowadays. Usually companies will cower to public opinion.

BTW, their food isn’t bad!!!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I can’t wait until Tom chimes in on the Colorado shooting thread and somehow turns it into a vegan issue as well.

Tom, your social ineptitude and complete lack of keeping things in context is truly staggering beyond words.

Enough is enough, already.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, let’s keep this on topic everyone. THANKS.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

The Peoples Champion said:
    Best comment yet. It wasn’t just anti gay, they were consistent with their religious beliefs. Right or wrong, they are consistent, hats off to them. That’s rare nowadays. Usually companies will cower to public opinion.

BTW, their food isn’t bad!!!

They are consistent in a limited sense maybe. Don’t see Christian conservatives wanting to bar from adoption rights, military service, teaching in schools, and so on, the vast majority of people who engage in the very un-Christian behaviors of pre-marital sex or other things such as drunkenness or gluttony.

Further still, many of the conservative Christians seem intent on imposing the cross on others, instead of imposing it on themselves as Christ commanded.

Few if any of these Christians follow what Christ says about turning the other cheek or loving their enemies. Pretty sure they don’t want their boys to be sissies that turn the other cheek.

Pretty sure many of these Christians embraced the US wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, some of them seeing it as a holy war and relating to Bush 43’s references to a crusade. So much for turning the other cheek and loving your enemies.

On top of that, few if any of these conservative Christians who oppose gay marriage and abortion seem inclined to following what Christ said about giving everything we have away to the poor or about how it’s easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than it is for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.

No sir, many of these Christians who grasp at Biblical straws to oppose abortion and the rights of queer folk, seem not interested in following Christ when it comes to taking a stance against the violence, materialism, and injustice of the world we live in.

They put a figurative spin on what Christ said about those things, when they can’t ignore them. Yet they take literally Old Testament passages about homosexuality and overlook the fact the New Testament has Christ saying very little, if anything, about it. In many ways, conservative Christians embody the antithesis of Christ.

They selectively call on what they perceive to be the letter of the laws for their religion, while grossly putting themselves at odds with the spirit of what Christ is said to have stood for : love.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 584 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE