Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Meat Bar - Formerly Chez du Bon / Fin

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Meat Bar – Formerly Chez du Bon / Fin

This topic contains 66 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  samtrin 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This place confuses me. Is it a fancy French restaurant with a little market or a market that has a restaurant? I am curious to check out the market but I don’t necessarily want to sit down and have lunch.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The food looks fine and well worth trying out, but I have to say that just like the other places owned by this same person, the aesthetics, branding and overall look of the space are a complete turn-off.

Once again, I would suggest that they invest in a real, serious and professional design team. Just going by the whims of ‘what the owner thinks looks pretty,’ which seems to be the mantra here, is not going to cut it.

I admire their commitment to downtown and want them to succeed, but doling out some tough love, they really need to step it up in the looks department. Columbus is full of talented graphic designers, interior architects, etc. It’s time that they utilize one.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I couldn’t disagree more, heresthecasey. I like that these restaurants reflect the owners.

As long as the food and service are good, I’m happy. And for the most part, that’s true of each of the restaurants they’ve established.

I agree, however, that the design of their logos–at least, as shared online–are lacking…polish.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    This place confuses me. Is it a fancy French restaurant with a little market or a market that has a restaurant? I am curious to check out the market but I don’t necessarily want to sit down and have lunch.

It’s the former.

Had an excellent first visit last night, that upstairs dining room is fantastic.

Our group did the lobster beignets, the mussels and the cheese plate to start. The cheese plate was very nicely put together, poached grapes a refreshing touch – like a jam once you eat them. Lobster beignets super fluffy, the mussel broth I found overly salty.

We skipped salads and dove into a entrees. The lamb rack, the tuna, the scallops and then a duck confit with garlic sausage. The tuna was some of the best I’ve had in Columbus, he called it day flight fish or something – it came from Corsica? An impressive portion for $22 – cooked perfectly. The lamb was from a farm in PA and just lovely. The duck confit was well presented but the garlic sausage I found dry. The scallops I didn’t care for, strange flavor and again found them overly salty.

Anyways, mostly hits with a few misses – also very loud banging noise upstairs from crossfit weights dropping in gym. The manager corrected it though, apparently they own or at least have control with that space. Startling at first before we knew exactly what it was.

The Dogfish Head Raison D’Être I found reasonable at $7. Didn’t go for any wine or cocktails although the cocktail menu looked very impressive.

Will return for sure. I’d love to see what specials they might offer on a Fri/Sat.

News
    Participant

Chez du Bon to be Replaced by Fin Restaurant
    May 30, 2014 11:09 am – Ayana Wilson

Chez du Bon opened last November at 122 South High Street. Its launch marked the third restaurant for Yavonne Sarber’s FAB Dining Group, and customer reaction and appreciation was well noted. On June 1st, Chez du Bon will officially close, to be replaced by Fin, a fresh seafood restaurant. Fin, which is also owned by Sarber, will open on June 2nd, serving fresh, contemporary seafood dishes inspired by guests’ feedback and experiences.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/chez-du-bon-to-be-replaced-by-fin-restaurant

RLBRANSON
    Blocked

Anyone been to check out FIN yet? I haven’t gotten downtown this week but wanted to go soon before they change concepts again.

News
    Participant

Fin Restaurant Closes to the Public
    July 29, 2014 1:34 pm – Walker Evans

After less than two months of operation, FAB Dining Group’s “Fin” Restaurant has closed its doors to the public.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/fin-restaurant-closes-to-the-public

DouginCMH
    Participant

null

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Didn’t anyone notice the irony of the name when it was announced? French for “the end”. I’d say Spanish too but since it went from Chez du Bon to Fin the French option seemed more appropriate.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Doh, you beat me to the punch DouginCMH, +1!

News
    Participant

The Meat Bar Pop-Up Restaurant Opening Downtown
    September 17, 2014 2:34 pm – Walker Evans

The restaurant space at 122 South High Street is getting a new pop-up concept in October, after previously being home to Chez du Bon and Fin (the latter of which closed at the end of July). Owner Yavonne Sarber confirmed that FAB Dining Group will be testing a new fast-casual concept called “The Meat Bar” there for lunch and dinner from October 13 to November 9, which coincides with the Broadway in Columbus production of The Lion King around the corner at the Ohio Theatre.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-meat-bar-pop-up-restaurant-opening-downtown

News
    Participant

First Look: The MEATbar
    October 13, 2014 8:28 am – Walker Evans

The MEATbar is a brand-new pop-up restaurant from Yavonne Sarber, announced last month as a replacement for Fin Restaurant, formerly located at 122 South High Street. The new fast-service concept revolves around customers building their own rice, noodle and salad bowls starting from a selection of meats that includes beef cheek, pork belly, duck and short rib.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-the-meatbar

OneBagTravel
    Participant

This Meat Bar place reminds me a lot of Meat and Bread, a joint in downtown Vancouver, CA. Basic menu, delicious food, minimalist decor.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This Meat Bar place reminds me a lot of Meat and Bread, a joint in downtown Vancouver, CA. Basic menu, delicious food, minimalist decor.

After looking at the photos on their website, I’d say Meat and Bread looks a lot like The Carvery:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-the-carvery-ma1

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

At the risk of being gauche, what’s the game plan here?

It looks like many of the fixtures, tables, chairs, and whatnot are being reused from the place’s recent past lives, so maybe the conversion costs aren’t huge outside of paint, menus, and other superficial elements. Still, factoring in rent and all the other expenses, I just don’t understand how the investment works out to go to all the trouble to launch a restaurant just to close a few weeks later.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.