Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

"Chelsea's" seeking location of old High St. bar in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion "Chelsea's" seeking location of old High St. bar in Short North

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

Does anyone out there happen to remember “Chelsea’s”, a bar that was on the east side of High St. on the block south of Second Avenue? I think it was open in the early ’90’s. If so, does anyone happen recall the exact building in which it was located, and/or other details about the space (i.e. it’s layout)?

There was also another bar on that block, across from White Castle, that preceded it. That older bar may have been located in the same building and space as Chelsea’s. I believe this older bar was open for many years in the much rougher 60-70’s era. People have talked about their wild times there way back when, but I don’t recall the bar’s name or exactly where they said it was located.

I’m trying to determine which buildings on that block housed bars at various times back in the day.

If anyone has clear memories or suggested info sources, please reply or send me a PM.

Thanks!

ricospaz
    Participant

Wow, blast from the past. Rocker bar I think, used to see my friend’s bands there.

Participant

i saw bloodhound gang there in the late 90’s – for some reason i think its Bodega’s spot, or at least in that vicinity. not sure was awhile ago…

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Chelsie’s was where Zen Cha tea salon is.

goldenidea
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. It’s very helpful! I suspect it occupied both the now Zen Cha space and also the adjacent space to the south, now occupied by Mukka.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I saw a bunch of industrial shows there mid to late 90s.

goldenidea
    Participant

Did it close around ’98?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

goldenidea said:

Did it close around ’98?

http://www.shortnorth.com/TomsCorner.html

Parmater Project

Eric Parmater surely deserved the recent article by Steven Wright in The Columbus Dispatch. The story stressed Parmater’s firm belief that there is a growing demand for urban homes – including apartments – in the downtown area and nearby satellite neighborhoods.

Parmater and his business partners have invested over $2 million dollars to renovate a row of three-story brick buildings that date back to the turn-of-the-century. The properties are located on the east side of N. High Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues.

Ten loft-style apartments featuring hardwood floors and exposed brick are being built on the top floors. Rents will range from $650 to $1,700 per month. The apartments are expected to be available for occupancy this month.

That was the project that replaced Chelsea’s. That was August, 1999.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

vestanpance said:

I played a bunch of industrial shows there…

GCrites80s
    Participant

I remember hearing the name a lot on the Ballroom Blitz.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

and goldenidea if you’re looking online for it, the “ie’s” was the proper spelling, not “ea’s” . . .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: