Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Audubon Center & Metro Park - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Scioto Audubon Center & Metro Park – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Thanks, Walker!

News
    Participant

Scioto Audubon Metro Park Continues Expansion
    Published on October 19, 2012 12:20 pm
    By: Walker

The 120-acre Scioto Audubon Metro Park located just south of Downtown Columbus has quickly become regarded as one of the best urban green spaces in the region, and the latest round of construction there will continue to make the park even better.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/scioto-audubon-metro-park-continues-expansion

surber17
    Participant

Photo update: https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/292261412644982786/photo/1/large

this park has doubled in size. I can’t wait for spring to head down there with the dog.

melikecheese
    Participant

They have finally leveled the really ugly city car repair and fire training buildings that were on Greenlawn Ave this month, I can’t see whats going to be built back on that spot cause the sign blew down weeks ago and no one has put it back up,

but my point, is now the land across the river and I never realized the nice skyline view, if they built some short towers for condos those would have great views of the Audubon park.

surber17
    Participant

where were you thinking of developers could put these in? It looks like most of 71 would block anything being too close to the river. But I agree…. a view of the park and downtown would be amazing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The replacement of impound lot with parkland is great! Such a huge transformational project for that area.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That’s all parkland along the river, you should go past those barriers and check it out. There’s an excellent view of the skyline.

That is Scioto Blvd. IIRC the storm drain covers are dated 1958. It used to connect near COSI but it was wiped out by I-71 in the 60s and was more or less forgotten. It was a homeless camp but that was cleaned out, and it was completely overgrown in honeysuckle until they cleaned most of it out (with a big loader). The banks are still overgrown, though.

I’m trying to wrangle volunteers to remove honeysuckle around the dam. I might be able to book the city crew that’s assigned to work with volunteer groups on Saturdays.

surber17
    Participant

@alexs, if you get something together make sure and post it on here …. I would def. volunteer my time

surber17
    Participant

so looking at google maps, i see what you mean for Scioto Blvd. I actually think Greenlawn there has some amazing potential too. It has parkland on both sides. The right development could really take off there.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m delighted to see these changes, it puzzled me for years that such a central location would lie abandoned. Really, the homeless were making more use of the area than anyone else. The city, or someone, had dumped a lot of materials.

It could be sweet, and it’s on its way. It would be nice to clear the bank, but I wouldn’t want to encourage people to go down to the water immediately above the dam, bad combo.

FireEngine
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    They have finally leveled the really ugly city car repair and fire training buildings that were on Greenlawn Ave this month, I can’t see whats going to be built back on that spot cause the sign blew down weeks ago and no one has put it back up,

New fire station, but that should only take up part of the property. I don’t know what will happen with the rest.

surber17
    Participant

Looking at this more ….. if you could run small passenger rail cars on the existing tracks you could connect Grandview Yard, the Arena District, Franklinton, the Brewery District, a new mixed use development at Greenlawn and Merion/Hungarian Village

News
    Participant

Scioto Audubon Metro Park Adds Obstacle Course
    Published on October 22, 2013 2:45 pm
    By: Walker

The weather is turning cool, but the Scioto Audubon Metro Park wants to keep you outside a little longer this year with the unveiling of their new Obstacle Course this weekend. The Columbus Rotary secured over $100,000 dollars in donations and services for the design and development of the facility.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/scioto-audubon-metro-park-adds-obstacle-course

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: