Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Chasing Smokestacks and Promoting Sprawl: Economic Development in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Chasing Smokestacks and Promoting Sprawl: Economic Development in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Chasing Smokestacks and Promoting Sprawl: Economic Development in Ohio

19 OCTOBER 2011

Rustwire.com

“Economic development” is the universally acknowledged highest priority in Northeast Ohio and it’s well funded. Cleveland’s Cuyahoga County spends roughly 20 percent of its budget on economic development, or about $100 million dollars. The state of Ohio has made it a top priority as well, pledging $700 million to its Third Frontier technology-based economic development program.

Somehow I couldn’t get excited about the idea of being an economic development professional in the state of Ohio, though. I guess its because so much of what the economic development community does in Ohio I find to be counterproductive, or worse, morally reprehensible.

READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2011/10/19/chasing-smokestacks-and-promoting-sprawl-economic-development-in-ohio/

Andrew Hall

Good article and I learned a new blog I need to read!

Thanks,

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m a fan of Rustwire, and while they cover the entire region, there’s little info on Columbus. Mostly centered on Northeast Ohio with some splashes of Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Fun fact: Rustwire founder Angie Schmitt is the person who wrote our recent Cleveland travel guide:

Travel: The Non-Positively-Cleveland Guide to Cleveland

GCrites80s
    Participant

Well, technically we’re not rust because we’re too far south. That and our 2000 cars are just starting to rust while they’ve got rusty 2003s.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE