Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Charter schools’ failed promise

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Charter schools’ failed promise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Quote:

Charter schools’ failed promise

By Bill Bush

The Columbus Dispatch Sunday September 1, 2013

Fed up with persistently poor student results in Ohio’s eight largest urban school districts, Republican state legislators enacted a law in 1997 allowing charter schools to locate exclusively within the boundaries of the “Big 8” systems.

Sixteen years later, charters statewide performed almost exactly the same on most measures of student achievement as the urban schools they were meant to reform, results released under a revamped Ohio report-card system show. And when it comes to graduating seniors after four years of high school, the Big 8 performed better.

Read more: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/09/01/charter-schools-failed-promise.html

ehill27
    Participant

And I thought the private sector does everything better. Oh well, at least there’s some money to be made.

buckette13

ehill27 said:
    And I thought the private sector does everything better. Oh well, at least there’s some money to be made.

+1

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

@ ehill27 & buckette 13: how is privatization affecting other institutions such as the US military and prisons/’criminal justice’?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

TomOver said:
    @ ehill27 & buckette 13: how is privatization affecting other institutions such as the US military and prisons/’criminal justice’?

i think it’s possible you missed the sarcasm of their posts.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    i think it’s possible you missed the sarcasm of their posts.

Hi there, RMM. They both are criticizing privatization. I’m interested in how they’d extend that to private prisons and mercenaries.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Hi there, RMM. They both are criticizing privatization. I’m interested in how they’d extend that to private prisons and mercenaries.

‘k then. carry on. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TomOver said:
    I’m interested in how they’d extend that to private prisons and mercenaries.

Then maybe you should start a new thread rather than derailing this one. Thanks.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker said:
    Then maybe you should start a new thread rather than derailing this one. Thanks.

too late. It’s dead, Jim. *dramatic music stinger*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!