Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Char siu or pork steam buns - where to find?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Char siu or pork steam buns – where to find?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

I just had really good char siu bao at Lee garden. I’d call them and see if they are willing to sell them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I know a lady in Dayton that makes incredible ones, and she is getting ready to retire from her real job. Maybe she could start a biz?

Bear
    Participant

Y’know, these[/url] were surprisingly easy and really, really good.

thorne

+1 for Ying’s Teehouse and YumYum. Never had the pork buns, but the dumplings are amazing!

You know my girls f callamilys these siaopao, is there a difference?

agtw31

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    the best steamed pork buns I have found were at Ichiban bakery in Kenny Centre. You will have to reheat them when you get home, but they are amazing. about as big as your fist, slightly bigger, they are very good. I think they are about $1.25 each.

yes indeed

resoundingjoy
    Participant

Sunrise Market on Henderson and Reed has a Chinese roasted meat section in the back. I go there all the time for their char siu. They also have really good (but expensive) soy sauce chicken and roast pork.

jn4jenny

Since this thread got bumped up, I will update. I did finally find char siu at CAM Asian Market on a Friday night. It was very good.

They also had baked (not steamed) pork buns that were reasonably good too. They were a little soggy on the inside, but that’s to be expected since they were in the fridge case and therefore weren’t fresh. I would definitely buy them again.

I’ll have to try Sunrise Market next. Thanks for the tip!

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Poong Mei (spring of China) has steamed pork buns and handmade dumplings.
    http://poongmei.com/xe/menu/dumpling

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I had steamed pork buns at Jie’s Good Tasting in Grandview on Friday. They were meh at best. But what is worth mentioning are the dumplings we had.

They were fantastic and hand made for sure. The service is a total dumpster fire so I would suggest getting your order to go, but even with that negative, I’ll be back for more for sure.

geoyui
    Participant

I had steamed pork buns at Jie’s Good Tasting in Grandview on Friday. They were meh at best. But what is worth mentioning are the dumplings we had.

They were fantastic and hand made for sure. The service is a total dumpster fire so I would suggest getting your order to go, but even with that negative, I’ll be back for more for sure.

+1 on everything

It’s definitely a trade off when going to Jie’s. Good dumplings for total crap service.

I found Ichiban Bakery makes some really good homemade pork buns (only on sundays I believe).

And have you tried Jiu Thai? One of my absolute favorite Chinese spots in the city. Wonderful spicy noodle dishes (Xian noodle dish and Biang Biang noodles are my favorites), very good lamb dumplings and their pork cake, a very simple, underwhelming looking appetizer, is pretty tasty.

Achekov
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I think I’d rather endure bad service for good dumplings than for over-sized grilled cheese sandwiches.

Klgiorgi
    Participant

Has anyone tried Jobu Ramen in Grandview? I have been looking too and they have them on their menu. If anyone is visiting Key West go to Kojin, theirs were delicious.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I love the Ramen at Jobu. The pork buns are ok, nothing spectacular.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: