Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Change your Twitter location to Tehran

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Change your Twitter location to Tehran

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

Help hide Iranian protesters: change your Twitter location to Tehran, time to +3:30 GMT.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Why don’t the protesters change their location to Columbus? If this works, won’t this also “hide” the protesters from each other? If the police want to shut them down, won’t they just arrest them on the streets or shut down the cell phone network (like they already did) or block Twitter at the DNS level?

I don’t understand this.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Also, here’s a tip for protesters… if you want to have a covert network for organizing a massive protest against the government, don’t run it on a public website that anyone can look at and which has your phone number on file and has had serious security breaches in the past.

20 years of cypherpunks debating anonymous crypto signatures and theoretical darknets, and people are still using cell phones while trying to “hide.”

futureman
    Participant

somertimeoh
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Also, here’s a tip for protesters… if you want to have a covert network for organizing a massive protest against the government, don’t run it on a public website that anyone can look at and which has your phone number on file and has had serious security breaches in the past.
    20 years of cypherpunks debating anonymous crypto signatures and theoretical darknets, and people are still using cell phones while trying to “hide.”

If I ever need to hide from the government I’m totally calling you. From a payphone.

joev
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote
    If I ever need to hide from the government I’m totally calling you. From a payphone.

Make sure to wear gloves so you don’t leave fingerprints.

I think this has more to do with people outside Iran wanting to feel connected to the protesters.

While I completely agree with their reasons for protesting, I’m not sure what the end goal is. Moussavi isn’t all that different from Ahmedinajad policy-wise. Less manic, maybe; doesn’t have “crazy eyes.” After all, Moussavi was approved to run by the ayatollahs, who, regardless of elections, still control the country in a theocratic manner.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>

Are you kidding? Jim gossips like a 14 year old girl. They’d apprehend you before you even hung up.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Payphones aren’t going to help. At a certain point everything flows into the telephone company’s hardware, and then you’re susceptible to room 641A. And that’s in a country that supposedly has laws limiting domestic wiretaps. In a country where the government has unlimited power regarding surveillance, you’re in samizdat and clandestine-cell territory.

Anyway, using twitter is dumb but I suspect the Iranian counterintel community is in such disarray at this point that it won’t be able to stop it.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Jokes, people!! Honestly, if I’m ever running from the government it’s probably BECAUSE of JimL2, so you know, there’s that.

SusanB
    Participant

The dissidents are using Twitter to communicate with the outside world as that all other means of communication has been shut down and foreign journalists have been forced to leave the country. Iranian journalists have been forbidden to show images of the protests.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

SusanB wrote >>
    The dissidents are using Twitter to communicate with the outside world as that all other means of communication has been shut down

Okay… And why will changing my twitter profile’s time zone help them continue to do this?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I hate twitter and the middle east.

Core_Models

The whole “Change your location” thing makes absolutely no logical sense, but nonetheless, the tweeting from Iraq has been the most (and maybe only) thing worth reading on there in a while.

JonMyers
    Participant

They would sift IPs for location not text declarations of location.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    They would sift IPs for location not text declarations of location.

I don’t think twitter publicly shows your IP address… especially not when you post via cell phone, which IIRC is the entire point of Twitter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!