Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cat Question

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Cat Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

” I wonder how can he be so much cheaper?”

He’s fair and honest.

I honestly do believe he wants what is best for the animal. He’s never steered me wrong or advised expensive treatments or services when they really were not required.
    With some vets you don’t get more, you just pay more.

misskitty
    Participant

Yep
    Dr. Beer Rocks easily.
    He is honest and he will not over charge like many veterinarians do. That is why it is so much cheaper.

karenS

Well, that statement kinda implies that others aren’t. Outside of price fixing, which we all know is illegal, how can everyone else (or most everyone) all be around the same price and one person be so completely different? On the face of it, it seems to call into question not the majority but the minority. “Fair and honest” doesn’t really indicate why he’s the least expensive. That he works out of his home or doesn’t have any employees or makes no salary whatsoever would be reasons.

karenS

So you don’t think I’m just being contrary, I do believe what you say about him and his treatment of not only your animals but of you as a paying client. I’m just curious how he can fall so far outside what seems to be normal. Maybe he’s just kind of a volunteer of sorts. If so, then that’s awesome and extremely admirable, if not totally rare. Seriously.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

In my experience, if you could take your pets to a large animal vet in a rural area, you would find out that most of the procedures aren’t nearly as expensive as they are at a small animal vet in the city.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’ve been through many different vets over the years. I would never settle on the care of my animals because of money. I go to Dr. Beer because he is fair and honest, it’s that simple. If you want to pay more for the same service, I say go ahead. He is a vet office, not a vet hospital with 24 hr car and emergency services.
    and I mean fair and honest in terms of him being low cost, as in not overcharging for services or marking things way up. things get marked up over wholesale, you’ve got to make a profit. I mean fair as in “not gouging”. I mean honest as in not recommending and charging for unnecessary services.
    He loves animals. He also staffs the low cost vaccination clinics through petco and helps spay/neuter many strays through programs in Columbus. ( I forgot about the 2 saturdays a month where in his office he offers the low cost vaccination clinics as well-thanks MK)
    I really do think he just loves animals and the work he does, without being greedy and egotistical. For more information about how and why he prices the way he does, I recommend contacting thier offices directly. I really can’t speak for them and in no way want anyone to think I am the voice of their office. I can only relate my experiences with them.

Like I said before, I’ve experienced many vets firsthand, services rendered, and their billing procedures. And it comes down to I like and trust Dr. Beer the most. The low cost is just icing on the cake. I also like that I get the same Dr time after time instead of like with MedVet or OSU. And most times I go to the vet, the Hospital/emergency/rare case services offered by MedVet and OSU aren’t required at all, so why should I pay for it(their overhead)?

misskitty
    Participant

Not only does he rock but also offers free clinic on some Saturdays for people with pets in need. In addition to picking up strays and having, them fixed then re-releasing them. Good guy

ETA: yea what LL said.

here is one commett on him
    BEST prices, EXCELLENT vets
    by megs486
    June 17, 2008
    we were quoted almost $800 for dental work for our cat from Banfield, and for the same procedure we paid $150 with care pet. The vet was amazing and very knowledgeable. The clinic is hard to find, but the receptionist was very helpful with that. http://columbus.citysearch.com/profile/7854842/columbus_oh/care_pet_clinic.html#profileTab-reviews

Tenzo
    Participant

Dogs > Cats
    We brush Tenzo’s teeth once a week just before his shower.

TaraK
    Participant

I find that the cost vets ask for dental cleaning is exorbitant. I love my animals dearly and provide for them well, but I have a hard time forking over a $1,000 to clean two cats teeth when there are so many people who could get much-needed dental care for less. I’m not saying this is a solution, just that I find it to be a dilemma. I’ll second Anne on rural places being MUCH cheaper. I think that dental cleanings in Bowling Green, Kentucky (too far away to be a real option but just a reference point) were about $170 per cat.

You might call the Rascal Unit people and see if they can recommend a place that does affordable dental care for pets.

@rocketmaster & catnfiddle: I have a puking cat as well. One things I’ve found is that his puking occurs mostly because he eats things that cats shouldn’t eat (plants, rubber bands, paper bits, etc.). I try to view things around the house in a will-the-cat-eat-that context so that I can minimize what he gets. It helps some. I also found that anything other than dry food made it worse. As much as he loves a little piece of chicken, he’s probably going to throw it up.

I know it’s gross, but maybe check your cat’s gifts for any objects/stuff?

Tenzo
    Participant

Clean your old cats teeth = $800
    New Cat from the shelter = $0

Just sayin’

lifeliberty
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    Clean your old cats teeth = $800
    New Cat from the shelter = $0
    Just sayin’

Bwahahahaha, that’s awesome!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    @rocketmaster & catnfiddle: I have a puking cat as well. One things I’ve found is that his puking occurs mostly because he eats things that cats shouldn’t eat (plants, rubber bands, paper bits, etc.). I try to view things around the house in a will-the-cat-eat-that context so that I can minimize what he gets. It helps some. I also found that anything other than dry food made it worse. As much as he loves a little piece of chicken, he’s probably going to throw it up.
    I know it’s gross, but maybe check your cat’s gifts for any objects/stuff?

thanks for the suggestions.

she does sometimes eat the guineapig’s hay, but other than that, and perhaps the leg of a grasshopper she was ‘playing with’ the other day, we’ve never seen her eat anything but her dry food, which she loves more than anything else in the universe it seems.

We’ve given up giving her bites of chicken or anything because she refuses to eat any of it!

weird creature. And no, I have no idea how she got the one-legged grasshopper, she never goes outside. *facepalm*

TaraK
    Participant

My friend’s indoor cat caught a bird. Poor thing landed on the windowsill of a slightly cracked window and then –BAM — one lust-driven, predatory swipe later the little winged thing was being eviscerated on the living room floor.

Cat puke is mysterious, I know. Though not always: I once found 9 semi-gnawed wide rubber bands in my cat’s puke, How on earth he managed to choke those down is beyond me.

berdawn

One of our cats was a puker for the longest time; Iams mature cat with hairball seems to have MOSTLY cured it.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Cat puke is mysterious, I know. Though not always: I once found 9 semi-gnawed wide rubber bands in my cat’s puke, How on earth he managed to choke those down is beyond me.

oh wow… there’s no accounting for cats

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: