Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Car2Go - Car Sharing Service

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Car2Go – Car Sharing Service

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

dlm said:
    It would be nice if Easton was in the home area.

I agree… tt would be nice if Easton had been built within that home area. ;)

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    I agree… tt would be nice if Easton had been built within that home area. ;)

There are other potential ways to expand the service to Easton, Lennox ect. In other cities they have designated parking spots in areas that they don’t have comprehensive parking. I also hope (and think) that the service area may be expanded to serve 5XNW and Grandview.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

On the website it says you can take the car out of the home area, you just can’t end your trip. If you go to Easton you just have to pay for the time that you are there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I got to take one for a spin this afternoon. Fun little cars to drive. ;)

mbeaumont
    Participant

Got my member card in the mail yesterday!

RedStorm
    Participant

As mentioned, service could expand to Grandview in the future.

In thinking that someone living downtown without a car of their own could use, those people may be out of luck trying to get to the airport for out of town travel. Still have to go with a cab/friend. I’m not sure if the logistics of this service would work at the airport anyway, but in theory it would be helpful if the airport was in the “home area” – unless the program were to become so popular that a bunch of people used it to get to and from the airport, bypassing the parking fees. Hahaha.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Car2Go Goes Live this Weekend
    Published on October 24, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Car2go’s fleet of Smart Cars will be available in Columbus starting on Saturday — which means that anyone who has signed up for a membership will be able to hop in one of the blue and white two-seaters and go. The cars will be parked on-street throughout a 30-square mile service area, which includes Downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods as well as a large chunk of Clintonville and Linden. Pricing is by the minute, and reservations are not required — a mobile app will tell you where the nearest car is, and a membership card will get you in.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/car2go-goes-live-this-weekend-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

ehill27
    Participant

The first 50 cars are available this morning.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Has anyone tried the system (besides Walker)?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ehill27 said:
    The first 50 cars are available this morning.

Spotted two of them parked on Gay Street near Neighborhood Launch!

rory
    Participant

One’s been spotted in Weinland Park on 5th Street. In other news, I learned that I can parallel park one three times in less than a minute at the roll out event parallel parking challenge at Callahans this afternoon. Got 45 free minutes. They’re fun cars to drive.

ehill27
    Participant

Anyone figure out the “parkspots” or “gas stations” options on the website?

I’ve yet to find either represented on the map, even though the site indicates there are currently 87 and 3 available respectively.

romanh
    romanh
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Has anyone tried the system (besides Walker)?

Yes, I’ve used it twice already. The turning radius and fun of parallel parking that car is reason enough to try it. The website automatically updated my trip info on my account.

There was one thing about the car sharing system though that I hadn’t thought of before today’s frost. In the cold mornings when you need to warm up the car and clean off the snow/ice, are you being charged for those minutes? I saw that the website categorizes your minutes as either “driving” or “parking”. Also, I didn’t check if the car had its own ice scraper, but I’m guessing the company thought of this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 238 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO