Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Car2Go - Car Sharing Service

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Car2Go – Car Sharing Service

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 238 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

Over the past week, when I’ve used Car2Go, upon trying to “end” my trip, the car has been unable to make a connection with the server, and has required me to move the car elsewhere to park it. This has tacked on a few minutes to the end of a few trips. Anyone else have this problem?

I’ve had that problem on a couple of occasions, often when the weather is rainy, but I haven’t noticed anything lately. You can always send them an e-mail and they will usually credit you a few minutes.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Clintonville got two Park Spots on High Street, one at Henderson and one at Morse. I live near Indianola and used the cars to get to and from High Street. So, big loss of service for me if they don’t add any by Indianola.

Eugene_C
    Participant

The Clintonville parking spots are actually not too bad. I tend to go around Henderson and High a lot to a couple of restaurants in that area and for my haircuts on weekends. Would have been nice to have something by Weiland’s though.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Have they reduced their fleet? I haven’t seen anything close to 300 cars on the map in a while… Unless 100 of them are in use at any one time (very unlikely), I think they’ve cut back.

I would say yes. I’ve been tallying the cars on the map and there have been between 196 and 207 on the map lately. Assuming, that another 20-25% are in service and I’d say they are back down to about 250.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The app tells you how many total cars there are. It says 220.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Well, so much for the smaller service areas increasing cars downtown. There is exactly 1 car in the area bounded by Spring, Main, N 4th and the river at 5:40 pm.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Car2Go can do what it wants, but this feels like classic business spin. Claim they’re focusing and improving their service area, but really they’re just cutting back service in the Columbus market. Oh well, for me it was fun while it lasted.

News
    Participant

COTA and car2go Announce Park & Ride Partnership
    August 26, 2015 8:57 pm – Walker Evans

While users of the system who live or work outside the boundaries have voiced displeasure about the changes, they can take some consolation in the announcement of a new transit partnership between COTA and car2go, which will designate a certain number of car2go zones at park-and-ride stations outside of the new home zone boundaries, primarily in Clintonville and Linden. The park-and-ride stations will work similarly to what is currently set up for car2go service at Easton Town Center, and will take effect immediately.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-and-car2go-announce-park-ride-partnership

Shaylee23
    Participant

Looks like a cool service. I wonder if they do any rebalancing of moving vehicles around so they don’t end up with big clusters of cars in one area and none in another?

Adam
    Adam
    Participant

Look at this as the new social networking– although not that new. The company is smart in letting anyone use their cars for the job. That means lower overhead cost. You can only see good out of this. People get to meet others more often and it can reduce road traffic along with fewer carbon emissions. I like it.

—–
    Adam Rathburn
    Adam Auto Approvals

Eugene_C
    Participant

I am glad they retained some designated parking spots in the new area, but I’d like to know what happens when, say, I want to drive out to Easton or up to Henderson and High and the Car2Go spots are full? Will it let me park on the street or do I have to drive back to a home area or pay minutes while the car is parked?

Nancy H
    Participant

… but I’d like to know what happens when, say, I want to drive out to Easton or up to Henderson and High and the Car2Go spots are full? Will it let me park on the street or do I have to drive back to a home area or pay minutes while the car is parked?

Might be worthwhile sending them an email. I did that with a question about trying to arrange for some designated parking spots at Weiland’s and a few other groceries outside the home area. I received a phone call about a week later to discuss the idea. No commitment on their part, but at least they were thinking about it and responded.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if they do any rebalancing of moving vehicles around so they don’t end up with big clusters of cars in one area and none in another?

Yep, they do. ;)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

A little disappointed that the airport car2go lots were completely empty… I ubered home instead, good thing there were options.

Shaylee23
    Participant

Cool… I’ve used this car service while visiting Washington DC and it’s cool as hell. Columbus is making strides with it’s bike share and now car share programs. Now, let’s implement rail service!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 238 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO