Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Car scams on Craigslist

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Car scams on Craigslist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant

CL *is* quite good for finding tenants. However, as more and more people seem to be using it, one has to screen more carefully than in the early days.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

this is a pretty terrible craigslist story. :(
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37082569/ns/today/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

That is sad.

Some of the people that see these too good to be true car deals on craigslist, I can’t figure out what they’re on. The description is generally ALL CAPS, doesn’t have any personal info of location info, and then the car’s picture has like palm trees in the background. wtf!

GW_Justice
    Participant

That story about the home invaders who killed the Dad is tragic.

One tactic that might be useful to stop things like this happening is to set up the meet with the buyer in a public place outside your home. I have done some CL deals where the seller did it this way. The problem is that CL buyers are often poor at showing up at appointed times, so this could leave you waiting around a lot.

This story is bad, but I can’t imagine that it is more than a one in a million occurrence. And since the CL transaction leaves a trail of IP addresses, it seems stupid to try this (not that thieves are known for intelligence).

There was a First 48 about a kid buying a car on craigslist who met the guys selling it(in a somewhat public place even) and they shot and killed him, cause they knew he had cash on him.

manticore33
    Participant

I agree on setting up a public location to meet (typically my work since it is nicely located). Likewise, if I am selling something large from my house, I put it out front.

Overall, I think this is a minor problem for the thousands of posts that are listed on Craigslist. Likewise, the same thing probably happened with the original newspaper classifieds. However, since it is tragic, and news thrives on tragedy, we will hear about it.

I am really sorry for that family’s loss. No material object is worth more than a life.

roy
    Participant

SusanB wrote >>
    I found wonderful tenants for my house on CL so it does work. Also had replies from convicted felons……..

So anyone convicted of a felony offense of any kind at any time in their life would in your judgment exclude that individual from the ability to also be a “wonderful tenant”?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Classifieds’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: