Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Living Car-Free in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Living Car-Free in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Stu Nicholson
    Stu Nicholson
    Participant

It can be done. Found this article from a Canadian newspaper interesting, which shows the impact of well-integrated transportation options…and that people will make use of those options if they are there.
    Most trips into downtown core don’t include car
    Randy Shore
    Vancouver Sun (British Columbia)
    Friday, September 05, 2008
    It’s finally time to turn over a new leaf and walk at least part of the way to work.
    You can drive part of the way and walk the rest or combine walking and transit. You will burn calories. You will not pollute. You will feel a bit smug.
    And this month there will be thousands like you — burned by high gas prices, frustrated by traffic congestion, given the finger once too often – tramping to work in the morning mist.
    Evidence is ample that the revolution has already come to the City of Vancouver. Most trips in the downtown area (60 per cent) include walking or a combination of transit, cycling or walking. City-wide the figure is about 37 per cent. Outside Vancouver proper the news is not as good. Only 18 per cent of trips include walking, cycling or transit and only four per cent of commutes are by foot alone.
    The growth of regional town centres, which combine commercial and high-density residential development, in Surrey, the Coquitlams, Burnaby and Maple Ridge should improve that figure as people begin to live and work in the same neighbourhood.
    But if you live in the low-density suburban sprawl that characterizes much of Metro Vancouver there is a good chance you are using your car for nearly every trip you make. Hey, it’s quick it’s easy and the car is sitting right there in the driveway.
    http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=d6b99c1f-553d-4ab4-8cab-e90086900dd1&k=56069
    [/b]

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Having used the Bus/streetcar system in Vancouver I can say that yes it is indeed easier to get around that way then in a car.

However… Columbus is a LONG way from having a system that great. It’s something we should strive for

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And some of us are already there or getting there. :D

Columbus isn’t too bad and I think location makes a world of difference.

It’s all about choice.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote And some of us are already there or getting there. :D

Columbus isn’t too bad and I think location makes a world of difference.

It’s all about choice.

I’m very close. Now that my knees are fixed maybe I can start biking again.

Cyclist

Been car-free for 4 years. Best decision I ever made. I do ride in a car sometimes for odd trips once a month.

The longest time I have not used any motor vehicle was 30 days straight.

Brewmaster

lifeontwowheels wrote It’s all about choice.

+1

While we’re not car-free, one of the reasons we decided to live in the BD was that we could sell one of our cars. Being less than 1 mile from work, across the street from a grocery store, and having close access to parks, bars, and restaurants makes it painless.

Now if you expect to be able to do that AND own a 1/2 acre with a free standing 3,000 sq. ft. house and an attached garage, you’re going to be in trouble.

It’s all about choice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m about 5 months into car-free living. I also live half a mile from work and have two grocery stores within a mile. Great so far, except taking the bus always seems so slow.

What’s could be the impetus to get the city to pick up the slack with public transportation? There are still some places you just can’t get to on a bus…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Million Dollar Question, Dutch.

I think the city is on board (pardon cheap pun) with an increase in our transit option, whatever final form that may be.

Kind of hard to argue for it, despite whatever facts are there, when you’re cutting back money to emergency services in the face of the current economic situation.

I really want expanded bus service, especially facing a 7.5 mile commute in the snow. I think it would be over an hour and 2 transfers by bus. Not good when the weather goes to shit.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, “The City” (citizens? mayor’s office? city council? all of the above?) would probably love to see plenty of public transit expansion, but it boils down to COTA actually doing the expanding. Which they have been doing this year, actually. (In baby-steps, but it’s growth nonetheless.)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I did it for a while (10+ months I guess), and it was fine most days, but there was still that 1-3 times a month that having a car would be useful.

I rented a lot to run errands and go visit my dad, but that got expensive. So I bought a totally impractical summer car and drive it around for fun too, but I’m not sure what I’ll do for winter. I live not too far from campus now so Zipcar is an option, but I’ll probably just buy an old truck or hatchback so I can go and visit my dad about 50 mi. NE of Columbus.

If we had suburban light rail or even express buses I’d be less likely to need a car, but we don’t so I will.

I still do most of my local errands (prolly 95% of them) and barhopping via bike though…

Cyclist

michaelcoyote wrote I did it for a while (10+ months I guess), and it was fine most days, but there was still that 1-3 times a month that having a car would be useful.

I rented a lot to run errands and go visit my dad, but that got expensive. So I bought a totally impractical summer car and drive it around for fun too, but I’m not sure what I’ll do for winter. I live not too far from campus now so Zipcar is an option, but I’ll probably just buy an old truck or hatchback so I can go and visit my dad about 50 mi. NE of Columbus.

If we had suburban light rail or even express buses I’d be less likely to need a car, but we don’t so I will.

I still do most of my local errands (prolly 95% of them) and barhopping via bike though…

The Community Tricycle Project is intended to help with some situations involving those “bulkier” errands that many deem car dependent. https://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16033&highlight=tricycle

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Car Share (Zipcar) needs to make it’s way to other parts of our city, especially into downtown.

I’ll do bike and zipcar this year. Depending on where things go next year, I may look at a scooter or motorcycle as a second option when the bike isn’t going to work.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Cyclist wrote

The Community Tricycle Project is intended to help with some situations involving those “bulkier” errands that many deem car dependent. https://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16033&highlight=tricycle

That’s a good project but the problem with my errands is the distance away from my home and other places I need to be.

With a car I can do in 2 hours what takes me all afternoon by bike. A motorcycle or scooter would serve the same function though so it’s not really that big of a barrier to being carfree (at least in the summer).

For the record I’m getting the Surly Big Dummy Xtracycle for my large item moving needs. I’ve got an 18″ on order at B1.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

With a car I can do in 2 hours what takes me all afternoon by bike. A motorcycle or scooter would serve the same function though so it’s not really that big of a barrier to being carfree (at least in the summer).

On a side note, think about how many people spend 5-6 hours in the gym each week and the amazing effect that an hour or so of cardio has on your health profile. Not sure of your age, but, having ridden tens of thousands of miles in my teens and 20’s, served me well in my 30’s.

Once you’ve achieved a certain level of “fitness” it takes well over 5 years to lose it, and its easier to regain it once you’ve had it. I’d say that savings of not having a car is only half of the overall savings, not including the high quality of life.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

turnedNOTburned wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

On a side note, think about how many people spend 5-6 hours in the gym each week and the amazing effect that an hour or so of cardio has on your health profile. Not sure of your age, but, having ridden tens of thousands of miles in my teens and 20’s, served me well in my 30’s.

Once you’ve achieved a certain level of “fitness” it takes well over 5 years to lose it, and its easier to regain it once you’ve had it. I’d say that savings of not having a car is only half of the overall savings, not including the high quality of life.

Good points.

Michael, I can really appreciate the distance/time aspect. Too many times this summer I pulled 12 hr days between 2 jobs-not enough time to get back and forth between the 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO