Our City Online

Messageboard - Sporting Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cap City Half Marathon - May 5th 2012

Home Forums Events Sporting Events Cap City Half Marathon – May 5th 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

http://www.capitalcityhalfmarathon.com

Event Details

Date: May 5, 2012

Distances: Half Marathon, Patrón Quarter Marathon, Commit To Be Fit 5K, Mascot Chase

Participant Perks

The best tour of Columbus on two feet

Local bands, DJs, and cheer squads lining the course

Technical race shirt

Ultimate finishers medal

Outstanding finish line food

Champagne and Chocolate at the Extra Mile Finish Line Party

Entry in the 2-day Health and Fitness Expo

The Events

Starting Line: Corner of Broad St. and Civic Center Drive

Capital City Half Marathon (13.1 miles) — 8:00am

Patrón Quarter Marathon (6.55 miles) — 8:00am

Commit To Be Fit 5K (3.1 miles) — 8:20am

Capital Kids Mascot Chase — 11:00am

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

PS: If you register and use the coupon code of UNDERGROUND, you can get $5 off your registration fee. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So, our whole office will be participating this year. Melanie is doing the full half-marathon while Nancy, Anne and myself are doing the 5k.

Any tips from runners of previous years? ;)

matchew

The Cap City is a great event. I have done it once before and the new start/finish areas will be a great addition to the course. Few tips…typically, Cap City gives runners the option to pre-pay for parking online. I highly suggest that to save you time in the morning (but I haven’t seen anything about it yet, so I’m not sure if its still an option with the new start line) . Also get there early to avoid any headaches with finding a spot and getting lined up properly. Also, a great recommended spot for spectators is the Lennox Movie Theater/Shopping Center. Lots of parking and easy to get to (located between mile 4 – 5).

pez
    Participant

Practice, sunscreen and for the half, apply tape or Band-aids strategically. Leading up to the race, work on strengthening you shoulders and upper back, tough to keep your head and motivation up once they fatigue.

Logistics:
    Get there early, parking is tough, so get dropped off if you can. Lot’s of folks jumping out of car on 670 and 315 then walking over.
    Get in the prerace bathroom lines early.

Courtesy:
    Pick a realistic finish time so you are corralled correctly. If you’re not trained, you won’t run a 7, 8 or even 9 minute mile, but you make it much harder for trained runners to get past you. Your time is based on the chip, not the clock, so start with your abilities.

If you decide to walk, move to the side and stay 2 abreast maximum. Walkers 3, 4 or 5 abreast pose a hazard as people try to get around them.

News
    Participant

Cap City Half Marathon Coach Answers Basic Training Questions
    By: Melanie McIntyre

I’m running the Capital City Half Marathon on May 5. Two lovely ladies on the race’s communications team asked me to participate. I heard the phrase “champagne toast at the finish line” and I was in. Actually, I run a few miles two to four days a week in the spring, summer and early fall, and I figured a half marathon would me give me a reason to step up my routine.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cap-city-half-marathon-coach-answers-basic-training-questions

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tips for Finding the Best Running Gear For You
    By: Melanie McIntyre

As many of you know, in May I’m running the Capital City Half Marathon for the first time. My 60-day training program is underway and after getting some sage advice from the race’s coach, Aimee Price, I decided to purchase new running gear.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/tips-for-finding-the-best-running-gear-for-you

2thDoc
    Participant

Walker said:

Any tips from runners of previous years? ;)

For those running the 5K-just enjoy the scenery. The course is nearly all along the river and in the parks.

The 1/4 marathon route is nearly all downhill after mile 4. So pace yourself until you hit High Street.

Same advice for the Halfers. First 6 miles are uphill mostly, but when you turn South onto High from Lane, it’s a great 6 miles through campus, short north, downtown and german village. The last mile however, is a tough uphill to end on. Save some for the last mile.

I use blister band-aids for my nips if I fear chafage. Balega runner’s socks are a must.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Slowly getting there. I went for a run this evening and managed to hit 2.4 miles before needing to break for a .3 mile walk. Then finished another .5 mile run home for a total of 2.9 miles. Another month and I should be able to do 5K like cake. ;)

(fingers crossed)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Three more weeks!

I’ve been pretty regularly sticking to running every other day with some walking on the off days. Usually run anywhere from 3.1 to 5 miles nonstop, depending on how I’m feeling each day and how much time I have.

I’m pretty naturally prone to sweating, so having just got home from a 3.2 mile run through Downtown while it’s sunny and 73 degrees out was a bit of a challenge. Going to be tough if it’s 80 degrees come May 5th. ;) I much prefer morning or evening runs when it’s 50 degrees out.

Anne & I also got some new running shoes. Much better than the beat up sneakers I was using before, though I’m finding myself running a little faster unintentionally in the new shoes. Trying to figure out a way to slow back down so that I can run further without wearing myself out as quickly.

How’s everyone else doing? ;)

thefiercelime
    Participant

I have been mostly cycling this year but just started running a little more for the half. Ran 7 Monday, 6 Tuesday and 5 last night and my legs didn’t break so I’m good to go.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

I am ready for May 5th! This is the first time since 2004 that I will do a Spring half, but I usually do the one in the Fall. I would have liked a couple more weeks to train, but I did get 11 miles in on Sunday, and it went well. Probably 6 this weekend, and some easy tapering. Now if we could just break this string of crappy weekend weather by then, I will be happy.

ntn4502

This is going to cause havoc for me trying to get to CBC for the ‘Big Brew’ day

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ntn4502 said:
    This is going to cause havoc for me trying to get to CBC for the ‘Big Brew’ day

Not if you just run there! ;)

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

So psyched! This will be my first half marathon!! My fiance and I did an eleven mile run last Saturday and will do a six mile one this Saturday before the big race. If you would have asked me a year ago if I’d be doing this, I woulda said “no way!” :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Sporting Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO