Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Can you be Pro-Life and Pro-Choice at the same time?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Can you be Pro-Life and Pro-Choice at the same time?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 202 total)
  • Author

greenhouse1014
    Participant

I didn’t want to derail the Palin thread, so I thought I’d ask this here. Personally, I’m Pro-Life. I got a girl pregnant once (we ended up getting married, which failed) and she had an abortion without giving me a say in the matter. I got to see first hand how the abortion effected her and our marriage. I am NOT pro-abortion, but I AM pro-choice in the fact that, regardless of my personal views, I don’t believe its up to either me or the government to tell a woman that she has to keep a baby from an unwanted pregnancy. No matter how I feel about a woman getting an abortion, its never going to be me that has to carry and give birth to the baby so I don’t feel that its within my rights as a man to control that situation. I can counsel, advise, whatever about other options and make my pro-life views known, but, ultimately, its up to the woman to decide for herself this very personal and gut-wrenching issue. Its always amazed me that most of the pro-life protesters are men.

To me, Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Yes, personally abortion is not an option that fits with my values, but my values are not the moral compass for the world so I am pro-choice. Really, I don’t even think it should be something the government has a say in PERIOD so I’d prefer to not even have to take a political stance on the subject.

ETA: Just because of what you said about not having a choice, I do think we’re going to see father’s rights become a big hot button issue in this decade. That whole Sean Goldman issue opened a big can of worms that I think does deserve some attention. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

rus
    rus
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Really, I don’t even think it should be something the government has a say in PERIOD so I’d prefer to not even have to take a political stance on the subject.

While I certainly agree with you that the government should have no say in abortion, it strikes me that limiting government power in that way is a political stance.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

I’m having a hard time seeing how you can have an opinion either way and it NOT be a political stance. Because the issues has infiltrated itself so much into almost everything political, it’s hard to avoid. Even our health care bill, in which people didn’t want gov’t involved in health care had an anti-abortion piece to it, thereby involving gov’t more in this area.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>
    I’m having a hard time seeing how you can have an opinion either way and it NOT be a political stance. Because the issues has infiltrated itself so much into almost everything political, it’s hard to avoid. Even our health care bill, in which people didn’t want gov’t involved in health care had an anti-abortion piece to it, thereby involving gov’t more in this area.

I feel you in this –and not just on the question of abortion. Every time I state a moral stance (especially on this forum!), people assume that I’m arguing in favor of legislation of one sort or another. For example, on this issue, I consider myself solidly pro-life, but I also think that a legal ban on abortions would probably be one of the least effective ways to prevent abortions.

For another example, in the consumerism thread my moral opposition to consumerism was widely perceived as meaning I wanted the government to forcibly redistribute wealth. I do think there’s something wrong with a climate where the only way people know how to have a moral conversation is in the courts and in the Congress.

Back to the topic at hand –I think one could certainly be morally pro-life and politically pro-choice. I’m probably in that category by default, although I’m not libertarian enough for the ideal of “choice” to exert a strong pull over me either morally or politically.

somertimeoh
    Participant

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Really, I don’t even think it should be something the government has a say in PERIOD so I’d prefer to not even have to take a political stance on the subject.

While I certainly agree with you that the government should have no say in abortion, it strikes me that limiting government power in that way is a political stance.

Yeah? I’m not sure why you don’t understand how I can have a political ideology and not want to have to form a political opinion on a specific subject that I don’t feel is one that should be debated outside of a doctor’s office, church, or bedroom.

ETA: We might want to work on the reading comprehension. My original statement said “…I’d prefer to not even have to take a political stance on the subject.” As in, I wish it wasn’t part of our political landscape. I’d also prefer to not work and have a million dollars deposited in to my checking account every year, but that’s not reality.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Yeah? I’m not sure why you don’t understand how I can have a political ideology and not want to have to form a political opinion on a specific subject that I don’t feel is one that should be debated outside of a doctor’s office, church, or bedroom.

That right there, what you just said, is a political opinion.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

ETA: We might want to work on the reading comprehension. My original statement said “…I’d prefer to not even have to take a political stance on the subject.” As in, I wish it wasn’t part of our political landscape. I’d also prefer to not work and have a million dollars deposited in to my checking account every year, but that’s not reality.

OK, sorry, the coffee hasn’t been quite strong enough today.

somertimeoh
    Participant

No problem.

rus
    rus
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

Ah. I didn’t get that you were knowingly wishing for the impossible in your initial post.

somertimeoh
    Participant

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Ah. I didn’t get that you were knowingly wishing for the impossible in your initial post.

I’m a dreamer :)

greenhouse1014
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

I’m a dreamer :)

but you’re not the only one.

sorry, channeling John Lennon today.

rus
    rus
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>

sorry, channeling John Lennon today.

Might want to stop channeling when it comes to the sucking chest wound. Just say’n.

TaraK
    Participant

Of course! Pro-choice means just that — choice, not mandated abortion.

As for the question of this being political, I don’t think it should be, as I view it as a matter of human rights.

agtw31

being pro-choice is being pro-life.

why is the pro-life/pro-choice movement now a political movement,instead of a social movement?

because the pro-life movement knew they could never get a shot at overturning Roe vs Wade without involving politicians.

the pro-life movement has been legitimized and exploited by the republican party,and planned parenthood by the democrats.

if it wasn’t a political issue,the pro-life folks would be still be considerred a religion based sub-culture i.e. Randy Weaver(ruby ridge),David Koresh,Jim Jones,etc.

now they are considerred part of the religious right,and they won’t stop blowing up women’s clinics,or killing doctors.

ladies and gentlemen,welcome to the United States of Insanity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 202 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: