Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Once on Brand Road in Dublin, where a path crosses the road at a crosswalk, a guy walked directly into the path of my car like he was daring me not to stop. I had to stand on the brakes to avoid him. He had the law on his side but damn, where the hell is common courtesy when you can pause for a moment to let traffic pass?

GCrites80s
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    A cyclist nearly ran us down on the sidewalk on Sat. We didn’t move and they almost wrecked. They then saw fit to come back and harass us using the excuse that their cycle did not have any brakes, so they *had* to ride on the sidewalk.

I kid not.

A.

They can use the “Portsmouth Brake” where you put your shoe between the tire and the seat stays (back of the frame, for those who don’t know the names of various bike parts).

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

CooperGuy said:
    I’m with you on that except for the contention that laws are always the safest. There are some laws that seem to ignore common and practical sense.

Can we apply this then to the typical response that “100% of cyclists must obey the rules 100% of the time” whenever a discussion takes place on funding or other cycling issues?

CooperGuy

lifeontwowheels said:
    Can we apply this then to the typical response that “100% of cyclists must obey the rules 100% of the time” whenever a discussion takes place on funding or other cycling issues?

Sure. I don’t have a problem with that at all.

gramarye
    Participant

Just to give a perspective from another part of the state: I almost never see bicycles sharing travel lanes in Akron, particularly downtown; they are almost always on the sidewalk. This is seldom a practical issue because the sidewalks are frequently empty (unfortunately). Through much of downtown, the sidewalks are also generally very wide.

Outside of downtown, cyclists tend to use the streets more, though I doubt it has anything to do with rules or concern for pedestrians and more to do with the appalling condition of the sidewalks–forget risks to pedestrians, you’d be taking your life in your own hands riding along those sidewalks.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: