Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author

CooperGuy

lifeontwowheels said:
    I also never see anyone here post about bad experiences with drivers. Which was my point.

Sure they do.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/do-you-think-drivers-need-re-education-behind-the-wheel

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

CooperGuy said:
    Sure they do.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/do-you-think-drivers-need-re-education-behind-the-wheel

So you had to go a year back? Just saw the news, which was posted here the other day, on increased crash rates since the construction started on the split. You have to go 3 pages back to find the thread yet we have this one front and center because cyclists are such a safety hazard in this town.

misskitty
    Participant

I think the only reason there is not more discussion about bad drivers is because people deal with it many times a day every day forever. It’s the norm besides the board would be full with that talk that’s how much people deal with it. People don’t deal with shitty bike riders every day there are not as many of them on the road as there are shitty drivers.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    So you had to go a year back? Just saw the news, which was posted here the other day, on increased crash rates since the construction started on the split. You have to go 3 pages back to find the thread yet we have this one front and center because cyclists are such a safety hazard in this town.

get over it!!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

misskitty said:
    I think the only reason there is not more discussion about bad drivers is because people deal with it many times a day every day forever. It’s the norm besides the board would be full with that talk that’s how much people deal with it. People don’t deal with shitty bike riders every day there are not as many of them on the road as there are shitty drivers.

I also noticed no one in the referenced thread threatened any physical harm against a driver they had issue with. Everyone seemed to have a rational way of dealing with other drivers. Funny how that works.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    I also noticed no one in the referenced thread threatened any physical harm against a driver they had issue with. Everyone seemed to have a rational way of dealing with other drivers. Funny how that works.

bc everyone isn’t knee-jerk-reacting to remarks they know aren’t serious. chill pill dude, 100mg.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    I actually find this thread hilarious. Any time I bring up the need to educate cyclists on a wider scale, to include basic road rules, using lights and staying off the sidewalk I usually get mocked and labeled something like an elitist, hardcore cycling prick-or that’s at least the sentiment.

I will not mock you. Keep it up!

A year ago I was walking east on the souh side of Gay Street when I heard a bicycle coming up behind me. I was just about at the sidewalk fence in front of Due Amici and I was thinking about whether I should step aside and let the bike go past me when I heard bike rider say, “Get your butt out of my way.” I stepped aside and watched this obese fool on a tricked out hybrid bike with no helmet but wih over-the-ear headphones on go past. Now that was rude.

I ride my bike almost exclusively on the street (except at the very end of my ride as I go on the sidewalk for 20 feet between the curb/intersection and the bike rack I use). I have lights and I wear a helmet. I obey the law.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels said:
    I’m going to go start a thread about throwing a brick at the windshield of every driver whose driving I don’t like…

Any further alienate everyone in the process.

I know you’re fighting an uphill battle with bike advocacy, but it doesn’t help to further make it an aggressive battle.

CooperGuy

lifeontwowheels said:

LOL, you said “never”. Didn’t realize that your never means within the last year. My bad.

Maybe aggressive, rude, and cussing sidewalk cyclists just piss off people more than rude and cussing left-lane hogging drivers.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

CooperGuy said:
    LOL, you said “never”. Didn’t realize that your never means within the last year. My bad.

Maybe aggressive, rude, and cussing sidewalk cyclists just piss off people more than rude and cussing left-lane hogging drivers.

Have to love the culture we have here: drive/bike in a safe, lawful manner = asshat ; drive/bike in an unsafe, illegal manner = asshat

And we wonder why we have the issues we do?

CooperGuy

lifeontwowheels said:
    Have to love the culture we have here: drive/bike in a safe, lawful manner = asshat ; drive/bike in an unsafe, illegal manner = asshat

And we wonder why we have the issues we do?

I’m with you on that except for the contention that laws are always the safest. There are some laws that seem to ignore common and practical sense.

I think that the elitist “it’s all about me” and careless attitudes exists in both the driving and cycling disciplines. It obviously creates dangerous situations day in and day out and the root cause probably gets way deep into societal issues.

Twixlen
    Participant

All this feels less like an issue of cycling, or pedestrians, or driving, what-have-ya, than an issue of selfishness. That doesn’t feel like the right word, but it’s the only one my brain is churning up.

It seems that a fair number of people are completely unaware of or don’t care about their interaction and impact on the people around them. It’s at the grocery store (don’t get me started on loose carts), people wearing earbuds while navigating any public space, pedestrians who just walk out into the street within 50 feet of a crosswalk/light, the dude who leaves his dirty dishes in the sink at work… all of it. Some of the inappropriate sidewalk use is ignorance – if the bike riders realized the unsafe conditions they were creating, and that they’re breaking the law, they’d change what they’re doing. However, some folks would know all that and STILL make the same choices. Those are the people that are assholes everywhere – in their car, pushing a grocery cart, checking out at the library.

Anonymous
    Inactive

misskitty said:

I drive so infrequently that it’s almost traumatic when “asshat” drivers make their moves, which seems like every time I drive. I bike AND drive as if everyone is trying to hit me.

misskitty
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:

I think it all the time when I am driving and someone risks my life because they have to be on the phone or not paying attention. I just don’t talk about it because I don’t want to seem like a violent person that has a bad case of road rage. I get road rage quite often and I can’t say that I would never put my hands on someone should I get hit because their texting.

Back to the topic at hand pedestrians can certainly get road rage. There are a few times a year I am almost run down crossing the street at 3rd and long when I have the walk signal. If I ever get hit while walking and I manage to get up from it as long as I was obeying the law I’m going to pull someone out of their car it’s not going to be pretty that’s pedestrian road rage.
    One time at the above intersection someone almost hit me there truck head light was about a foot from my face. I walked to their window to exchange words and they looked scared and then they peeled out.

I am not sure why people can’t just be a little more Sensible while driving. It’s only a few extra seconds of time and it could save a life.

A cyclist nearly ran us down on the sidewalk on Sat. We didn’t move and they almost wrecked. They then saw fit to come back and harass us using the excuse that their cycle did not have any brakes, so they *had* to ride on the sidewalk.

I kid not.

A.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: