Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I actually find this thread hilarious. Any time I bring up the need to educate cyclists on a wider scale, to include basic road rules, using lights and staying off the sidewalk I usually get mocked and labeled something like an elitist, hardcore cycling prick-or that’s at least the sentiment.

leftovers

lifeontwowheels said:
    I actually find this thread hilarious. Any time I bring up the need to educate cyclists on a wider scale, to include basic road rules, using lights and staying off the sidewalk I usually get mocked and labeled something like an elitist, hardcore cycling prick-or that’s at least the sentiment.

Definitely street appropriate education and the use of helmets and lights seems like a no brainer. Hopefully this will come with time.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Definitely street appropriate education and the use of helmets and lights seems like a no brainer. Hopefully this will come with time.

It’s already being done, at least in the small scale if you reference my link a few posts up. With Columbus Foundation’s Big Give coming up it’s a good time for people interested in programs like this to help them continue.

leftovers

The “Roll” thing seems geared only to en’roll’ed OSU students…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

leftovers said:
    The “Roll” thing seems geared only to enrolled OSU students…

Q: Do you think that this campaign at OSU is significant to the larger Columbus community as a whole?

A: The How We Roll campaign is pretty innovative as far as bicycle campaigns go — you don’t often see such intensive focus on outreach and education specific to cyclists, and there’s nothing we know of happening on this scale, using this methodology, at any other university in the country. In fact, we’re having to develop completely new materials because there’s nothing out there for student cyclists that’s all that compelling! And of course no one is using bicycle tours as a method of communicating urban riding skills. So we could end up with some really fascinating results and a model that can replicated at other universities or, indeed, in other neighborhoods. Which is exciting, because neighborhood-based transportation behavior change initiatives have achieved great success in other cities but we haven’t yet tried them here — and they’re so much cheaper and quicker than infrastructure or policy change!

The educational bike tour concept itself is pretty ground-breaking in Columbus since, in addition to teaching people how to ride, we’re taking customers directly to a small business, showing them how easy it is to get there by bike. So it’s a safety and mode shift effort, but also an economic development tool that can help demonstrate the case for making an investment in bicycling. There’s already been some interest in expanding these tours beyond the OSU community, so we’re excited to see where that goes. It’d be super fun to develop bicycle tours of local businesses in all Columbus neighborhoods!

ODOT and ODPS are especially eager to see the effects of this campaign on crash reduction, and plan to share any successes broadly within Ohio and nationwide. Certainly if it works they will encourage other Ohio universities to implement a similar campaign on their campuses. Yay Bikes! will be creating a final report and Best Practices Guide from this experience to share with universities, communities, neighborhood organizations and others throughout the U.S.

From the CU interview

leftovers

As I said, it seems ‘roll’ is only available to currently enrolled OSU students.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

leftovers said:
    As I said, it seems ‘roll’ is only available to currently enrolled OSU students.

So the Cliffs note is that we would most definitely like to expand this to other neighborhoods and continue to create innovative programing. OSU is an excellent opportunity to begin.

leftovers

Personally I think most cyclists need a pamphlet of the current cycling laws (no sidewalks, you are a vehicle) and maybe a few reminder street/sidewalk signs. I am not sure too much hand holding is necessary.

The big thing I have noticed in Columbus is the general lack of the use of basic safety items such as helmets.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Personally I think most cyclists need a pamphlet of the current cycling laws (no sidewalks, you are a vehicle) and maybe a few reminder street/sidewalk signs. I am not sure too much hand holding is necessary.

The big thing I have noticed in Columbus is the general lack of the use of basic safety items such as helmets.

We already have things like this. Is it working? The instructors I know working with the OSU students (many of which are first time cyclists) have noticed pretty significant shifts in behavior and confidence from start to finish during the 3 hour tours.

ETA

What’s the deal with helmets? Let adults be adults. We do so with motorcycles, don’t we?

leftovers

lifeontwowheels said:

What’s the deal with helmets? Let adults be adults. We do so with motorcycles, don’t we?

Are adult skulls that much stronger than childrens? The point of keeping bikes off of sidewalks is to lessen the chance of injury.

cheap

i don’t mind kids riding on the sidewalk

i would rather have them run into me than in front of a car.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said:
    i don’t mind kids riding on the sidewalk

i would rather have them run into me than in front of a car.

Columbus law already makes provisions to allow young children on the sidewalk.

I was standing at the bus stop at 7:50 this morning when I hear being shouted at me “Get out of the way motherf***er”! It was an OSU student on bike who then passes behind me, pops onto High Street crossing all five lanes in traffic. I hope he made it to class.

At least in the first few blocks of Old North Columbus, I fear the bikes when walking on the sidewalks.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I always wonder what compels people to post every bad experience with a cyclist, yet we never see one post on here anytime one of you is cut off by a driver, nearly get rear ended on the highway or sideswiped by someone on their phone.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels said:
    I always wonder what compels people to post every bad experience with a cyclist, yet we never see one post on here anytime one of you is cut off by a driver, nearly get rear ended on the highway or sideswiped by someone on their phone.

Because good behavior isn’t newsworthy or attention-getting.

If it makes you feel any better, people regularly tell stories about near-miss incidents in their cars, but you never hear people talking about an uneventful drive to the store where everything went fine. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: