Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Can Pedestrians Experience Road Rage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author

the_linotypist
    Participant

Walking my daily two miles in Clintonville and around campus, lost track of the number of near-misses I had with bicyclists on the sidewalk.

Ride your bikes in the street, assclowns!

Corrin Radd
    Participant

Thank you!

the_linotypist
    Participant

And I’m sure many of these are the “same rules, same roads, same rights” advocates! Does that mean cars have the right to go on the sidewalks? No one over the age of nine has any business riding a bike on the sidewalk.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

If I have to travel on a fast busy road like Bethel Road, I’ll ride on the sidewalk, but you better believe I am careful around pedestrians. Otherwise I ride in the street.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sidewalk rage.
    When my son hears me telling cyclists “It’s called a sideWALK”, he says “Stop policing, Daddy!”

Static-X

the_linotypist said:
    Walking my daily two miles in Clintonville and around campus, lost track of the number of near-misses I had with bicyclists on the sidewalk.

Ride your bikes in the street, assclowns!

EXACTLY! NO KIDDIN! I guess the sidewalks are now siderides. What’s funny, is how the motorist are supposed to look out for cyclist and treat the cyclist as equals, but they will break every motorist law known to man/woman. Running red lights, weaving in and out of cars, riding on sidewalks and riding in crosswalks to name a few infractions. They need to stop acting like Jack Casey in ‘Quicksilver’. And in no way could you come close to a Cutter, so stop it!!

cc

Obviously it is not for bicycles, but having lived near campus not too long ago I can say that attempting conversation does work. A lot of them just don’t know they are not supposed to ride on the sidewalk. It really wouldn’t hurt for the city to put up some signs to this effect, especially near the $30k sidewalk bike racks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

^Well put.

Static-X

cc said:
    Obviously it is not for bicycles but having lived near campus not too long ago I can say that attempting conversation does work. A lot of them just don’t know they are not supposed to ride on the sidewalk.

So instead of a cyclist being responsible and knowing the law before going out and erasing their carbon footprint, I have to be their mommy and daddy, take time out of my life, and explain to them that they can’t ride on a sidewalk? I don’t think so. And the arrogance of people today, they don’t take kindly to constructive criticism.

cc

^Cycling laws regarding riding on sidewalks vary greatly and are generally based on municipality. There are a ton of transplants that just don’t know this and also cycling education itself is lax. I also believe it is legal for minors to ride their bikes on sidewalks in Columbus – which sends the wrong message. There are probably a lot of people who are used to it and don’t know that there is some magical cutoff…

Static-X

cc said:
    ^Cycling laws regarding riding on sidewalks vary greatly and are generally based on municipality. There are a ton of transplants that just don’t know this and also cycling education itself is lax. I also believe it is legal for minors to ride their bikes on sidewalks in Columbus. There are probably a lot of people who are used to it and don’t know that there is some magical cutoff…

I understand what youre saying and I dont mean to come off crass, but Im talking about the downtown cyclist as well as the campus students, who should know better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a campus education program that encourages cyclists to learn the laws and has rewards like discounts/free food at many establishments, especially the Liz Lessner empire (free sauerkraut balls at Barley’s). Education is the first step, but on campus, cars, pedestrians and bicycles are equal opportunity offenders, IMO. Everybody needs to learn the hierarchy and laws.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

0Angle said:
    There is a campus education program that encourages cyclists to learn the laws and has rewards like discounts/free food at many establishments, especially the Liz Lessner empire (free sauerkraut balls at Barley’s). Education is the first step, but on campus, cars, pedestrians and bicycles are equal opportunity offenders, IMO. Everybody needs to learn the hierarchy and laws.

How We Roll[/url], a program run by Yay Bikes! in partnership with Bike OSU and the Ohio State University which was one of the cited reasons for OSU being designated a bike friendly university by the League of American Bicyclists.

racheltb
    Participant

When cyclists don’t know the rules they endanger everyone, especially those of us who might be driving cars and trying not to hit anyone. Rules exist so that we can predict each other’s moves.

There’s a man who makes a habit of riding his bike down the middle of high street in the suicide lane. I’ve seen him many times and he is well outfitted with a helmet and light. Why he thinks that cycling in a shared turn lane is safe, I’ll never know.

The craziest run-in I had recently was with a cyclist who apparently experienced road rage towards me when I hollered from my car window for him to ‘ride safe!’ after he ran a red light….no helmet…at night…with no lights…in the rain. We almost ran him over because he was totally not visible, so I shouted out the window. His response was to zig zag across the lanes taunting us to hit him. It was really scary because he was totally out of control.

leftovers

Bicycling with no helmet seems exceptionally stupid*. There is a requirement for lights though.

*I am sure jackasses will have excuses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: