Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

Taking and posting the photos is a great idea, Walker. I think too many of us walk through this area without really seeing. Thank you!

osuschaef
    Participant

This makes me extremely sad. In the redevelopment of this area they are doing away with my favorite bars, favorite pizza place, and my old place of work. They are basically demolishing everything that made my experience at Ohio State memorable.

They are not doing this for the students who reside here 9-12 months a year. They are doing this for parents and the rich alumni who only return for football games who want a place to stay, eat, and drink for 2 days a week, 3 1/2 months a year.

Thank you, CP for bulldozing my memories. I will never be able to walk with my daughter on her campus tour and point out the places I remember because none will be left. Maybe I’ll just send her to M*CH*gan!

nohio
    Participant

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I came down to Columbus 44 years ago and got 3 degrees and have been on faculty for the past 35 plus years and campus lost its sense of place a very long time ago. Even though campus has always been the long neglected area of the city and taken for granted for so so many years -it has always had a hardcore group of people who stuck it out and planted roots in their homes and even apartments for decades and love the feeling of the vibrancy of a campus community. We have seen it fall into so much neglect over the years-combined with no private or public investment that even begins to address the economic engine that the University provides for the Central OH area. During the late 60s,70s,80s and 90s -unfettered and unchecked building codes allowed for dubious landlords in the area to run amok and neighborhood organizations disappeared- a strong tenant’s union disappeared, eve- the Community Festival decamped and became the SHONOVICKITAL extravaganza in Goodale Park; mom and pop stores went down the tubes. Columbus’ 1st bike lanes came and went. The exorbitant rent that unsuspecting students pay to live in slums is criminal for what accommodations are available to them. Campus Partners came on the scene with so so many promises and the strip mall known as (Gateway)-Lennox East is bland, without heart and soul and indistinguishable from anywhere USA. Campus was always going to be a challenge-it isn’t Madison or Ann Arbor because of it being in such a larger metropolitan setting but there is no there -there anymore. I have no faith in Campus Partners at all- the promise of an “arts” district is appealing but at the present time Ohio State has no money or commitment to redo the 15th Avenue gateway to the campus as recent plans suggest. They have a master plan for it but I have seen 5 master plans in 40 years and the only way it can be sustainable is if they have revenue that can come in to help it be somewhat sustainable. It isn’t there- in its present form. The campus area had driven away scores of students in the past 3 decades. At one time it had the most dense concentration of people between NY and Chicago. When the gentrification of the Short North and Victorian Village occurred – it started the exodus of students from campus area as more students had automobiles which allowed them to take advantage of cheaper apartment complexes that were a quick commute away. I want to believe there will be a resurgence of the area but it won’t happen for quite some time but I won’t give up on it just yet. For now-there is not a campus experience for the students -they have to travel a few miles south to the arena district in order to fully enjoy themselves but they know that-fortunately for the past 10 to 15 years that has become the norm and new students will never know what it was like before -warts and all. But at least the warts had a sense of place -noW there isn’t much there that would make you remember or long for an immediate off-campus experience that generations took for granted as being so valuable to them in their college experience.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Taking and posting the photos is a great idea, Walker. I think too many of us walk through this area without really seeing. Thank you!

No problem.

I’m certainly in the same boat. I rarely stop to re-examine the state of affairs around campus with the inquisitive eyes of a freshman anymore. What I found upon revisiting was that some of it is much more architecturally interesting than I remember, and some of it looks much worse than I remember.

Hopefully the redevelopment plan can improve upon the good that’s already there and replace what would benefit replacing (the FedEx building, for example).

News
    Participant

Opinion: Campus Culture Worth Preserving
    March 8, 2015 7:00 am – Scott Ellsworth

As a business owner affected by the latest Campus Partners announcement, I try to stay level headed enough to see both sides of the redevelopment. I certainly understand people wanting a “prettier” setting for parents to visit their college students. I am a father. I can appreciate the comfort behind dropping an 18 year old off in a squeaky clean brand new area. However, I also am very connected to OSU student life. These students do not want another Easton on campus.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/opinion-campus-culture-worth-preserving

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think anyone’s talked about it much, but it’s worth mentioning that most of these commercial properties on High Street have surface parking lots in the back, accessible from Pearl. While we all know that surface parking is less ideal of a land usage when compared to a garage, it’s worth mentioning that these lots are rarely shared across businesses. Which means that the spaces behind Huntington are for Huntington customers and the spaces behind a restaurant are for the restaurant. People hunting for a spot to park might find one lot filled and another empty, but using the empty spaces will often result in a prompt towing if it’s not behind the right building.

Consolidating parking into a shared garage would free up a lot of underutilized land for development AND make it a much more customer-friendly environment for anyone visiting the area (or working in the area) by car. The trick is finding the right spot for a garage.

wpcc88
    Participant

The trick is finding the right spot for a garage.

I posted in my response that the lot behind the O, Too’s, Brenan’s, etc would be perfect if they demolish the house that’s right there.

Those houses with storefronts need to go though; they are extremely under-utilized and could be replaced with mixed-use infill that would actually benefit the area. I envision those with their own underground parking for residents/workers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This makes me extremely sad. In the redevelopment of this area they are doing away with my favorite bars, favorite pizza place, and my old place of work. They are basically demolishing everything that made my experience at Ohio State memorable.

While nostalgia is a powerful emotion for many people, it’s not necessarily the best tool for neighborhood planning. Your memories will always be your own, and no one can take that from you. Whatever the outcome of the redevelopment plan, it should be executed with the future in mind, and not the past… whether than means preservation & renovation or demolition & redevelopment.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

now that number 1’s is gone, you can tear the whole street down..

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Aside from nostalgia, campus is a passover neighborhood that was bastardized architecturaly many decades ago. Now that we’re seeing an increase demand for owner-occupied in the district I think it is a great time to re-image high street. Everyone remembers the days the neighborhood was slum filled and run down. Many landlords, the university, and home owners are now investing money for improvements. I think now is the time to finally right high st. and develop a plan that we as a city and neighborhood can be proud of 30+ years from now.

And a note to the owner of Too’s. You’re not the first or the last to feel the pain of growth and improvements. Any time there is a new direction in city development there will be heartache as memories disappear. Since you don’t own your building you’re stuck on the outside like many others in the past. But what you can do is take the opportunity to be part of something new. Campus doesn’t have to be all national chains like people fear. There’s room for a great mix. Please consider a bar/restaurant concept that works for this plan. With the right plan and working with the property owners, there most likely will be an opportunity for you to continue and create a new lasting memory.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…campus is a passover neighborhood that was bastardized architecturally many decades ago.

I’d love to see some historic photos of High Street in the area that shows the large homes prior to the small single-story retail buildings being constructed in what was essentially their front yards. I can’t think of anywhere else in Columbus where this style of ad-hoc commercial development is smiled upon.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

The students will riot if Canes is not relocated if torn down… they love them some chicken fingers.

Mike88
    Participant

Maybe I’m alone in this but I think Too’s is kind of a dump a long with a lot of those weird front yard stores that are just thrown up in front of houses. Besides what is to stop a place like Too’s from being reborn in a new structure in the area or who’s to say the building they’re in will be one that is demolished. I get that any good college campus needs its dumpy bars (hell I went OU and we have more than a couple that I loved) but evolution is inevitable, especially when your campus is located in a big city and not a small town, the trick is when you evolve to include the best parts of your past as you build your future.

I think some buildings in that area can/should be preserved, but a large chunk of those buildings are ramshackle eyesores that would never be approved for zoning if they had been built anytime recently.

Don’t get me wrong I am a person who is deeply in favor of preserving and honoring our Cities history when it is of significance or actual historical value; I just don’t think many of these structures meet those criteria.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I would be okay with the High Street houses with the modern additions going. The houses are too damaged at this point anyway. There are some very nice houses off of High I think should be saved, or at least adapted in some way. The single-story commercial block buildings like Long’s and FedEx can go too, as well as some of the more modern housing/commercial buildings. The rest of the stuff on High I’d like to see saved. With decent planning, there is no reason they can’t be renovated and incorporated into a larger-scale development on the site. It preserves history (and some nostalgia) but also moves the area into the future.

All that said, this is CP we’re talking about and I have no real faith that anything will be saved. I expect something closer to the Gateway than I do a Short North mixed-style type of thing- no soul, all chains.

Pablo
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: