Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

I hate losing old buildings, too, especially here in Columbus. However, a lot of historic buildings that were demolished in Columbus in the past were replaced with either parking or very low density development. Here we are replacing what I would argue are not all that significant of buildings, architecturally, and replacing them with something that is much more dense. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

As for light rail, I fully expect it to come up again as Columbus shows no signs of slowing growth. As far as the Midwest goes, Columbus is a very attractive place as far as jobs, diversity, lifestyle, etc.

I’m not sure why you think the BRT on Cleveland Ave is going to be a “joke”…it’s currently a very slow bus route that serves a lot of commuters. Maybe you don’t ride it, but I know personally from several people I work with that something along that route is well overdue.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I hate losing old buildings, too, especially here in Columbus. However, a lot of historic buildings that were demolished in Columbus in the past were replaced with either parking or very low density development. Here we are replacing what I would argue are not all that significant of buildings, architecturally, and replacing them with something that is much more dense. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

As for light rail, I fully expect it to come up again as Columbus shows no signs of slowing growth. As far as the Midwest goes, Columbus is a very attractive place as far as jobs, diversity, lifestyle, etc.

I’m not sure why you think the BRT on Cleveland Ave is going to be a “joke”…it’s currently a very slow bus route that serves a lot of commuters. Maybe you don’t ride it, but I know personally from several people I work with that something along that route is well overdue.

I don’t disagree with you that some replacements are much better than others. Obviously dense development is infinitely better than surface parking (look to what happened to the Firestone house for an example of the latter), but Columbus really has a steadily shrinking inventory of historic anything. I’m not naïve enough to think that every old building can be saved, or even that they should. I just don’t want this to turn into another full-scale bulldozing and I don’t automatically buy into the argument that new is better, even if it has more density. I don’t dislike the plan, I just really hope they incorporate as much of the original stock as possible.

I no longer see rail in Columbus within the next decade, and this is ultimately going to hurt the progress of the city. How much, I don’t know, but when every other peer city has something you don’t, you just give people a reason to go elsewhere. I love Columbus, but after having lived in places with extensive mass transit, and after loving the car-free lifestyle, I’m not sure if I could make Columbus my permanent home in the future if this doesn’t happen. For lots of people, that might be just fine. Certainly some couldn’t care less about that, but there are lots of other people where this might be a deal breaker. For me, it probably will be. It’s not just about rail, but even the existing bus system just isn’t that useful, which brings me into the last point.

My BRT comment is in reference to the fact that the bus line won’t truly function as a BRT line, especially in terms of lacking dedicated lanes. It may be perfectly successful as a regular bus, though, but I question how much faster it will actually be when it’s going to be stuck in traffic just like any other bus.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

There are plenty of cities that have been built around historic buildings. Columbus isn’t exactly one of them. After the 70’s-80’s we weren’t left with much exciting aside from a lot of spread out ready to be developed areas. Overall, the historically significant has been taken care of. And those areas we can be proud of. But that doesn’t mean all of our neighborhoods needs to be preserved.

Campus along high street is one of the most unfortunate looking areas in the city. Out of town guests probably see that more than any other part of our city. Not exactly a good thing since it still looks similar to the rundown 70’s version. Something fresh will force a change in the area. Perhaps the neighborhood will see a dramatic increase in home ownership in the areas surrounding the core of student population. This could be something they can walk to. Something Weinland park, sohud, old north families can enjoy or at the very least be happy to have it near.

Why not take advantage of this. Make columbus fresh and new. Why do the same as every other city when we have an opportunity to be different and be something worth seeing. Our old buildings along campus aren’t beautiful structures. They are historic simply due to age. The same way a pinto is historic.

It’s time to make Columbus something we can be proud of for the future. Something unique to us that others will recognize as a success. Something fresh and outside the box of city development.

Something can be said for all the cranes in the sky. People want to invest in here. They see potential with new and worth being a part of.

jbcmh81
    Participant

There are plenty of cities that have been built around historic buildings. Columbus isn’t exactly one of them. After the 70′s-80′s we weren’t left with much exciting aside from a lot of spread out ready to be developed areas. Overall, the historically significant has been taken care of. And those areas we can be proud of. But that doesn’t mean all of our neighborhoods needs to be preserved.

Campus along high street is one of the most unfortunate looking areas in the city. Out of town guests probably see that more than any other part of our city. Not exactly a good thing since it still looks similar to the rundown 70′s version. Something fresh will force a change in the area. Perhaps the neighborhood will see a dramatic increase in home ownership in the areas surrounding the core of student population. This could be something they can walk to. Something Weinland park, sohud, old north families can enjoy or at the very least be happy to have it near.

Why not take advantage of this. Make columbus fresh and new. Why do the same as every other city when we have an opportunity to be different and be something worth seeing. Our old buildings along campus aren’t beautiful structures. They are historic simply due to age. The same way a pinto is historic.

It’s time to make Columbus something we can be proud of for the future. Something unique to us that others will recognize as a success. Something fresh and outside the box of city development.

Something can be said for all the cranes in the sky. People want to invest in here. They see potential with new and worth being a part of.

Sorry, I don’t want Columbus to look like a big version of Easton. That’s really not unique at all. I would take say, Cincinnati’s tons of historic architecture, over repeatedly bland suburban modernity plopped down on High Street any day of the week.

Pablo
    Participant

I too agree that not all buildings should be saved in this effort but I’m against wholesale demo. There are a few gems in the area that could be restored and modernized. The building at Pearl and 16th is pretty cool – I think it used to be a frat house. The strip containing Bernies, the 3 story block between 16th and 15th and maybe the old Hennicks south of Longs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.000908,-83.007403,3a,75y,295.81h,101.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHnwOgKB6ejzqOLtI49PolQ!2e0

News
    Participant

OSU Unveils Ambitious Nine-Acre Plan for 15th and High
    February 28, 2015 12:50 pm – Brent Warren

OSU unveiled a vision for redeveloping a nine-acre swath of land around the intersection of 15th Avenue and North High Street. The plan was announced today by Campus Partners, the OSU-affiliated non profit that developed the South Campus Gateway; it goes far beyond simply redeveloping the long-vacant Long’s Bookstore site.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/osu-unveils-ambitious-nine-acre-plan-for-15th-and-high-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s pretty clear from the article that not a single building is going to be saved.

That’s not at all what was said to us:

Hoffsis said that they haven’t taken a position on what should be demolished and what should be saved.

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/osu-unveils-ambitious-nine-acre-plan-for-15th-and-high-bw1

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    It’s pretty clear from the article that not a single building is going to be saved.

That’s not at all what was said to us:

Hoffsis said that they haven’t taken a position on what should be demolished and what should be saved.

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/osu-unveils-ambitious-nine-acre-plan-for-15th-and-high-bw1

That leaves open the possibility that none of them will be saved, and that’s really my concern. In any case, I don’t want to be just negative. I like the two-way restoration for the streets, I like the density, I like making it more walkable, I like that it will be mixed-use, etc.

RedStorm
    Participant

I’m just kind of confused why Campus Partners is heading this project again when they’re struggling to keep tenants at the Gateway.

News
    Participant

Photos: Central Campus Development Zone
    March 7, 2015 12:58 pm – Walker Evans

Last week’s announcement included multiple maps and renderings outlining what a redeveloped area might look like. For a better look at the existing buildings, parking lots and public spaces in the area, we’ve collected photos (below) of the properties highlighted in the proposed development plan.

PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/photos-central-campus-development-zone

harvjmiller
    Participant

This is well-said: historic and aesthetic architecture should be preserved, but this stuff here is neither. And densification is a good thing: it is more sustainable and healthier since it is more walkable, and supports public transit better. I am also glad to see public space in the plan and connectivity into campus: there is too much of fortress along High Street.

But, I would like to see Campus Partners work with existing and local businesses rather than bring in chains. The Cbus is all about local.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But, I would like to see Campus Partners work with existing and local businesses rather than bring in chains. The Cbus is all about local.

I was thinking about this a lot while taking photos earlier. I wonder if it would be completely unheard of for Campus Partners to strike a deal with developers to lock existing businesses into existing lease rates or offer them first rights to transfer existing lease rates to new spaces if displaced from a specific building.

Ralph Rosenfield
    Ralph Rosenfield
    Participant

I am very much in favor of this sort of re-development. Like most people who I have seen here I believe that there are many buildings that should be preserved and restored for the heart of the space to be sustained. These building don’t need to “match” they do need to inspire and to allow us to remember. All development needs to be scaled to the space and respect what was and what remains. We do however need to build for the future and I would like to see us take some risks, lets push the design envelope, lets inspire and explore. The Wexner Center was a great addition, it respected the past and pushed us to the future. Lets play with that concept. Lets restore the neighborhood (Congrats to Campus Partners for working on that end, BTW) I believe that the investors in the area will up their game if given a reason to do so.

harvjmiller
    Participant

Campus Partners is associated with OSU, and OSU is a public institution. Therefore, there should be some obligation to the public good, in this case supporting local business.

Perhaps a precedent are affordable housing requirements for residential developments: in this case, an affordable business requirement.

wpcc88
    Participant

-I believe that the Long’s block would be perfect for the hotel/parking deck.

-The building with Bernie’s needs to be preserved to maintain character.

-The building with Too’s, Brenan’s, Jimmy John’s and the O needs to be preserved as well.

-Meanwhile I think that the houses/store fronts from the Bernie’s building-Chumley’s need to be demolished and in-filled with mixed-use apartment/retail(with existing businesses moving into the new spaces, I love that idea as well).

– I would have 16th end at Pearl and maintain no access from High and turn that into a common space/plaza(all the way to the side entrance of Bernie’s). This would lead into my next idea of putting a 1 to 3 story parking deck behind the O/Brenan’s, Too’s etc. with entry/exit being at 16th & Pearl. The house in that area would be demolished to make way for this as well.

*All other I will turn over to campus partners, but they really need to be smart about preserving some of the building that front High for character.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: