Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Author

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

6 stories is sort of a magic number in construction. Going over 6 stories greatly increases your cost per square foot. You need:
    – a larger elevator footprint (which reduces occupied space)
    – more expensive elevators (motor/cable vs. hydraulic) that require more expensive periodic maintenance.
    – more stringent fire safety (hook and ladder fire trucks can’t reach top floors)
    – more stairs
    – more expensive physical plants for water pressure
    – bigger foundation, more expensive framing (wind resistance)
    – bigger construction cranes and iron workers that aren’t afraid of heights
    – etc

rory
    Participant

yeah, I know that higher is more expensive but all the stick-built, vanilla design, built-to-last-only-till-it’s-fully-depreciated projects are no substitute for a varied streetscape that include some historical buildings. I just wish there was a little more imagination in this project rather than just dozing a city block.

Lu
    Participant

This proposal is another example of why Columbus needs form-based code.

Arlington, VA has really benefited from its program. If a developer meets all of the rigorous requirements of the code (including architectural design), their project is approved quickly. Or, the developer can opt out and apply for approval the traditional way, which is then subject to an architectural review board, public input, and other delays.

Form based code would help to set minimum requirements so we don’t have more HighPoints dumped on us.

ohbr
    Participant

In related, unconfirmed news, ReTagIt closed on Summit and Hudson. The Evolved Body Art SUV has been spotted at the location possibly confirming rumors that they are moving to the SoHud area.

dashboard2002
    Participant

A problem with High Street is that either buildings are TOO beat-up, old, decrepit, worn and weary… or too new/plain/generic. There is no in-between. (And this holds true, I think, for many of the blocks of campus-area apartments along the numbered streets east of High.) The truth is that many of the structures that are about to be torn down, should have been gutted and restored 20 years ago.

In some ways I think the source of the problems is the decades of disinterest, decay, lack of pride, lack of care… the American malaise era. In addition to the structures that were long overdue for some TLC (and I mean the whole building, not just the revenue-generating storefront), the whole area should have had better restrictions on zoning and building that included green space, setbacks, sign restrictions, facade requirements, and so on.

It just seems like (as in this quote from rory’s post): “all the developers want to put up is stick-built, vanilla design, built-to-last-only-till-it’s-fully-depreciated projects.”

We’re replacing one set of buildings that were left uncared for until they rot, for another greedy project being built only to maximize profit.

I guess nothing will change until the consciousness of developers (or the community and its governance boards) changes.

Another problem that I think is unique to Columbus/High Street, that you don’t see in other campuses is the sheer amount of grime that High Street produces through car/bus/truck traffic every day. Looking at the filth on the sidewalks and on the brick facades of High Street, even in the “new” gateway area, this seems to be a major factor in destroying the aesthetics of anything that is constructed along High.

Other cities with campus neighborhoods that are trying to maintain a walkable commercial strip do not have this amount of traffic to deal with every day, and as a result in other cities the commercial strip looks neater/cleaner. I’m thinking about IU Bloomington, Bowling Green, Ball State, Notre Dame, MSU East Lansing, where you don’t have 4 lanes of car and diesel traffic 24/7 on the campus commercial strip.

The traffic-generated grime is one reason I think that High Street buildings should have a parkway (a strip of grass along the curb), a tree line, wider sidewalks, and deeper setbacks. It would help.

wpcc88
    Participant

The problem with comparing High Street to the other schools you mentioned is that they do not lie in one of the biggest cities in the US or on a US Route. Though technically 23 is rerouted to Summit & 4th Streets, it is High Street that is its true main thoroughfare of what is a US Route.

Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: