Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Campus Partners to Redevelop High from 17th to 14th

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1110197

    ImNotaStar
    Participant

    To me it makes sense for the project to be bland and boring. While OSU is a large global University the vast majority of students are from Ohio and coome from boring bland backgrounds. This project makes the parents feel safe and boring like their subdivision in Marysville or some other small town in Ohio. This is what the average Ohio person wants. I see a lot of it on this board, they want to turn the city into a bucolic subdivision in new Albany (see a lot of the posts regarding speeding, etc). Cities are dirty and should be a little dangerous. You want tranquil move to Marysville.

    #1110201
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

    While OSU is a large global University the vast majority of students are from Ohio and coome from boring bland backgrounds.

    #1110215
    _calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

    To me it makes sense for the project to be bland and boring. While OSU is a large global University the vast majority of students are from Ohio and coome from boring bland backgrounds. This project makes the parents feel safe and boring like their subdivision in Marysville or some other small town in Ohio. This is what the average Ohio person wants. I see a lot of it on this board, they want to turn the city into a bucolic subdivision in new Albany (see a lot of the posts regarding speeding, etc). Cities are dirty and should be a little dangerous. You want tranquil move to Marysville.

    Hahaha, that’s funny. I go to OSU, this is simply not true. While 75% of students are from Ohio, a majority of them are from metros such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, and Toledo, and the other 25% are from places such as Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, so simply incorrect. And even the uncanny generalization that people from Ohio want “bland and boring” is simply false and pushes me to not take your opinion very seriously.

    #1110241
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

    And even the uncanny generalization that people from Ohio want “bland and boring” is simply false and pushes me to not take your opinion very seriously.

    you will fit in nicely here for many years to come.

    #1110249

    clancy12
    Participant

    Why would anyone cite the fact that students are from “metro areas” such as Cincinnati or Cleveland or Chicago or NY as proof positive that they are not bland? Face it, cities have become increasingly bland. Really, read a travel article on any urban area and the all sound the same. Destination dining, farm to table this or that, microbreweries, and the ability to shop for handcrafted home goods as well as city promoted “bohemian flair” do not add up to excitement to me.

    #1110250

    ImNotaStar
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>
    To me it makes sense for the project to be bland and boring. While OSU is a large global University the vast majority of students are from Ohio and coome from boring bland backgrounds. This project makes the parents feel safe and boring like their subdivision in Marysville or some other small town in Ohio. This is what the average Ohio person wants. I see a lot of it on this board, they want to turn the city into a bucolic subdivision in new Albany (see a lot of the posts regarding speeding, etc). Cities are dirty and should be a little dangerous. You want tranquil move to Marysville.

    Hahaha, that’s funny. I go to OSU, this is simply not true. While 75% of students are from Ohio, a majority of them are from metros such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, and Toledo, and the other 25% are from places such as Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, so simply incorrect. And even the uncanny generalization that people from Ohio want “bland and boring” is simply false and pushes me to not take your opinion very seriously.

    Lol if you think all of Ohio is not bland and boring, get out more. There is a reason it is the butt of every joke…

    #1110263
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

    There is a lot of “grass is greener” or maybe better said “dirt is dirtier” going on here.

    #1110270

    rory
    Participant

    There is a lot of “grass is greener” or maybe better said “dirt is dirtier” going on here.

    yeah, but at least the new bike lanes give everyone a quick way to get to the other side. ;)

    #1110281
    _calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

    Hmm, well this thread turned to, for lack of better words, shit very quickly.

    #1110298
    Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

    These boards seem to be over run with trolls more and more each day.

    #1110302
    Posole
    Posole
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>
    And even the uncanny generalization that people from Ohio want “bland and boring” is simply false and pushes me to not take your opinion very seriously.

    you will fit in nicely here for many years to come.

    People want exciting when they’re young, but then tend to drift toward “bland and boring” when they have kids and want a school that’s less than 25 years old.

    #1110303
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Hmm, well this thread turned to, for lack of better words, shit very quickly.

    Agreed. Let’s put this back on topic. Take the unnecessary bickering to Reddit or Facebook, guys. ;) Thanks!

    #1110305
    Posole
    Posole
    Participant

    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>
    Hmm, well this thread turned to, for lack of better words, shit very quickly.

    Agreed. Let’s put this back on topic. Take the unnecessary bickering to Reddit or Facebook, guys. ;) Thanks!

    Snapchat! Facebook is for OLD people!

    That said, I’ll re-iterate what I posted on the front page. I think it’s rather monolithic and imposing, but for the fact the gateway people have promised to maintain an open square around 15th to anchor everything. So, I think this does fit the area, and the existing buildings are not in great shape, many of them. They’ve been used and used and remodeled and re-used.

    #1110308

    UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

    One thing people fail to consider when trying to preserve old buildings are things like ADA access, bathrooms, and fire safety. High Street by campus is extremely populous and in older buildings the bathrooms are often cramped and under capacity, doorways and hallways are narrow, exits are constrained by stairs, etc. If nothing else new buildings like this really open up capacity to handle people, especially those with disabilities.

    #1110321

    rory
    Participant

    Why not incorporate density, development and historic preservation in one block? Instead a five-story mid-rise that takes up a whole block why not rehabilitation for some of the historic buildings combined with a 10-12 story student housing building? The proposed design not only wastes the existing buildings but it also wastes the space above the five-story building. Granted, not everything needs to be saved but some of the existing buildings could be quite nice if they were renovated. Not to mention, a taller building combined with rehabbed historic buildings offers a more interesting and organic streetscape and possibly a wider variety of retail spaces for local businesses. Instead of going for the bulldozer for the whole block let’s go up for some and save some.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: