Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus Partners Seeks Developer Input on New Projects

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Campus Partners Seeks Developer Input on New Projects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Campus Partners seeking developer input on High Street holdings

Business First – by Carrie Ghose

Friday, February 18, 2011

Developers are getting their crack at suggestions for rebuilding a section of North High Street near Ohio State University’s campus, including the former Long’s bookstore site and 5 ½ acres adjacent to the South Campus Gateway complex.

Campus Partners for Community Urban Redevelopment, the university’s real estate arm, on Wednesday sent out a long-promised “request for information” soliciting ideas from various developers.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/02/campus-partners-seeking-developer.html

labi
    Participant

I’m glad to read that Campus Partners is being clear about OSU’s plan to eventually house all sophomores on campus. At this point, I would not like to see any student housing being added to that area south of the Campus Gateway. I would much rather see more pressure put on landlords to improve the student housing that already exists in the area. Code enforcement has been reduced lately, despite its being sorely needed.

cc

I am not a big fan of forcing sophomores to live on campus. It does not seem necessary and blurs the focus of the University. Being able to find inexpensive off campus housing was very important when paying for my education.

anillo
    Participant

“Campus Partners assumes that all existing structures will be demolished by the selected developer, although we may consider proposals that re-use all or a portion of existing structures.”

I sure hope so. I don’t think the gateway is ugly, but I don’t really want to see a lot more buildings of its style all over High St. either.

rory
    Participant

Another architectural opportunity. This could be pretty exciting. And it’s nice to see the arts being included at the Long’s Bookstore site.

I think moving sophomores onto campus, or closer to it would be beneficial for everyone. Students add very little to a neighborhood except for trash and noise.

cyclist II
    Participant

What stops OSU’s campus from moving east across High St?

ScottUlrich
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    Being able to find inexpensive off campus housing was very important when paying for my education.

+1. OSU will need to address the affordability and flexibility of on-campus housing options. Do they require campus food plans for all students living on-campus? That’s usually the big money-maker.

rory
    Participant

cyclist II wrote >>

Technically nothing but the master plan has them moving west.

jimbach
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    I think moving sophomores onto campus, or closer to it would be beneficial for everyone. Students add very little to a neighborhood except for trash and noise.

They also provide excellent opportunities for burglars to ply their trade, since they (students) typically have more expensive things lying around their houses than do other neighborhood residents.

johnwirtz
    Participant

cyclist II wrote >>

Zoning variances?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>

cyclist II wrote >>

Zoning variances?

bad history is more like it. The Big U likes its side of the street where it makes the rules. Cooperation has always been a struggle with OSU, rhetoric yes, action sometimes when it’s necessary.

berdawn

rory wrote >>

cyclist II wrote >>

Technically nothing but the master plan has them moving west.

The UAC has consistently voted not approve any zoning changes East of Indianola.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Gateway’s developer solicits proposals to build on 5 nearby sites
    Sunday, February 27, 2011
    BY MARLA MATZER ROSE
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The South Campus Gateway development has had some success, but Doug Aschenbach knows it’s still a work in progress. Gateway opened in 2005 and features 184 apartments, an independent movie theater, a dozen modestly priced restaurants/bars and about 10 mostly student-oriented stores, including the Barnes & Noble-run Ohio State University bookstore.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/02/27/gateways-developer-solicits-proposals-to-build-on-5-nearby-sites.html?sid=101

cyclist II
    Participant

Good to see the south Wendys remain. Hate to lose another inner city Wendy’s.

An expanded “northside” library would be nice as part of a development.

Schoolboy
    Participant

wow. so this is what all of the talk about osu trying to eliminate prevailing wage on campus construction projects is for? so that they can bring in the cheap immigrant labor and extremely poor craftsmanship on these new upcoming projects.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: