Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus kids in short north

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Campus kids in short north

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Doesn’t the Short North pride itself on reflecting a mix of people. I mean imagine college kids and recent grads spending money in your neighborhood? Sounds awful. We should probably ban them. And then we should ban the homeless people, because I mean that asking for money thing is a real drag. I mean could keep going but I think the point has been made.

I went to OSU, I’ve lived on campus, lived in Dublin, live in Harrison West. Transitioned from campus bars to park street bars to Short North/Grandview and beyond. I’ve been annoyed by drunk people and I’ve been that annoying drunk person. It’s just all part of the mix that makes Columbus an exciting fun place to live.

drew
    Participant

But in all seriousness, once you remove the last 6 pages of stereotypes, blaming establishments or demographics, NIMBY accusations and so much more it comes down to this: you have a problem with the after bar crowd?

I don’t know how I could’ve possibly been any clearer on this point. Of course that’s what it is. Or, more specifically, the damage, litter, and disorder that the after bar crowd cause in the neighborhood surrounding the bar.

Bars and restaurants are not responsible for behaviors of people after they leave the establishments…

I don’t believe that’s entirely true, legally speaking.

If that’s not the issue and you’re convinced it’s an outside entity or crowd or a particular establishment, perhaps a public forum with implications of restricting access to a neighborhood by demographics because of a belief that they are the root cause of the problem isn’t the best choice.

I suspect you’re not alone in misinterpreting this, though I thought I was pretty clear: I’m *not* suggesting that anyone restrict anyone else from going anywhere, I’m simply questioning endeavors to incentivize people to move from one place to another. Campus Partners bulldozed most if not all of the cheap watering holes in the campus area, and OSU has massive programming geared towards getting students off of campus. I’m all for students exploring the city beyond campus for any of a wide number of reasons, but if they’re primarily leaving to load up on cheap booze and then trash someone else’s neighborhood, I’m more than a little skeptical of the value of the program.

Having read this, go back and read everything else I wrote. It’s all there, I promise.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I mean half of your points aren’t really valid, because you seem to be just pulling them out of your ass, and it’s clear you have a personal vendetta against OSU in particular. Like I said, I didn’t go to OSU, but I grew up in Columbus, been around plenty of OSU students and currently live in the Short North area. You also clearly have no idea about Boston either to even make the comparison, considering there’s more than just Ivy league schools there, and furthermore, you seem to not have any experience around kids at these schools to think they are any better than OSU students. Ivy League kids can be just as obnoxious, if not more than public school kids. Boston has a good mix of everything, whether they’re from Harvard or BC or BU or Tufts or Endicott, they somehow mix with everyone to make a pretty awesome city.

Every argument that you seem to be making on here comes back around to the fact that you pretty much HATE OSU students. You can deny it all you want, but that is clearly the underlying tone, which is pretty hilarious, because Columbus wouldn’t be what it is today without the University being here.

drew
    Participant

Gus, I’m perplexed by the disconnect between your ability to write and your inability to read.

Good grief. I have no ‘vendetta’ against OSU or its students. Where in the hell are you getting this? Talk about pulling things out of your ass…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Campus Partners bulldozed most if not all of the cheap watering holes in the campus area…

Well, just the South Campus area. There’s plenty of cheap watering holes still located throughout the mid-campus area, north-campus area, Lane Avenue and other spots nearby.

And it’s not like cheap drinks can’t be found in the South Campus Gateway bars:

http://www.southcampusgateway.com/Happy%20Hours%20at%20Gateway.html

$2 Long Islands on Monday nights at Oxley’s from 7pm to Close? Sign me up! ;)

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

The OSU meat head culture comment alone says something about your views on the University, not to mention you thinking that OSU is inferior to Boston colleges, when you don’t really know anything about that city and are just making an incredible generalization. I mean, this entire thread started because you hate the fact that OSU students are enjoying the Short North (“Trashing the SN”). You don’t need to come straight out and say it – that would end the discussion in this entire thread – but it’s hard to not get that vibe from a majority of your posts in here.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Was just about to say… campus has more cheap watering holes than they ever had when I first arrived here in the city 15 years ago. Sure a couple of the old dive bars have been closed, and most of the newer bars have more of chain feel to it, but if you are looking for “cheap” happy hour specials campus is a great place to find them.

Right now if campus is lacking on something, it’s the night club style venues. For the past 15 years campus has always had a large night club type of venue, and I could be wrong… but nothing is coming to mind right now on what/where is filling that void. Multiple reasons come to mind on why this has happened, but it definitely causes students to have to leave campus to scratch that itch. Short North / Arena District is the closest area that can provide that type of entertainment.

drew
    Participant

The OSU meat head culture comment alone says something about your views on the University, not to mention you thinking that OSU is inferior to Boston colleges, when you don’t really know anything about that city and are just making an incredible generalization. I mean, this entire thread started because you hate the fact that OSU students are enjoying the Short North (“Trashing the SN”). You don’t need to come straight out and say it – that would end the discussion in this entire thread – but it’s hard to not get that vibe from a majority of your posts in here.

Did you take a few too many knocks to the head in football practice? I clearly didn’t start this thread, and I didn’t make any claims about OSU’s ‘inferiority’ to anyone else. I do think there’s a subset of students that shame the university with their antisocial behavior (and I called them meat heads), but I don’t think that’s unique to OSU and never suggested otherwise.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: