Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus kids in short north

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Campus kids in short north

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Zooky
    Participant

The park st bars are now dead on weekends…

NerosNeptune
    Participant

You live in a heavily bar-filled area one mile away from one of the largest college campuses in the country, and you complain about college kids being around? What exactly were you expecting?

JackieC
    Participant

I think Columbus is big enough to have more than one be seen/hip neighborhood in it. If Short North WAS your thing, and too many people are invading it trying to be cool, move on to the next hood and it help it become the next Short North. Rinse and repeat.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

It amazes me how the OP assumes that it is college kids that are causing the problems with his enjoyment of the neighborhood. My guess is that it really is a small percentage that are actually in college. I’m in the neighborhood daily and nightly and my guess is that the demographic of that scene is 24-35, not 18-25. Most likely the ones littering the neighborhood are recent grads that are actually now neighbors.

The reason for my statement is due to the fact that I interact with students daily. The unfortunate detail that I’ve learned is that many aren’t aware the short north exists. They know the name but very little more. Most 18-22 year olds in this city know Columbus as campus, easton, polaris, and arena district. Within recent years there has been more of them venturing and experience the other neighborhoods but I wouldn’t call that a bad thing at all. At the end of the day Columbus has an issue with being progressive. Everyone wants this to be a real city, a destination city, the best city but then has the “NIMBY” mentality. Most successful cities where people actually want to visit has an area thriving in students, young professionals, artists, and affluent adults amongst every other demographic. Guess what, we have that too.

This really is part of the growing process. While the Short North continues to move forward the fallout will result in improving of areas such as downtown, franklinton, italian village (don’t throw a shoe at me, it still has room for dramatic growth), and even the discovery district. We have the space, we have the neighborhoods, and we fortunately have the jobs/money/education to continue the growth and improvement.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

“I don’t think its meant as a slight, but notice how the focus is no longer on art in the SN, but luxury retail…” (My quote button doesn’t bring the previous message down)

While I know galleries exist to display works from artists, let’s not forget that they also exist to sell and profit from those works. Art galleries, in my opinion, are the peak of luxury retail.

geoyui
    Participant

Remember when Columbus had a major issue of brain drain? Retaining new/recent grads is actually a good thing for the city and the neighborhood.

dubdave00
    Participant

This whole thing reminds me of the time somebody put up flyers in Dublin during the Memorial Tournament that said, “Dear rich people. Please leave! Sincerely, Middle Class Dublin” Wish they had camera phones back then. Dublin had them pulled by the afternoon.

Maybe some variant like, “Dear brahs (and luxury shoppers), please leave! Sincerely, the Real Short North”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This whole thing reminds me of the time somebody put up flyers in Dublin during the Memorial Tournament that said, “Dear rich people. Please leave! Sincerely, Middle Class Dublin” Wish they had camera phones back then. Dublin had them pulled by the afternoon.

Maybe some variant like, “Dear brahs (and luxury shoppers), please leave! Sincerely, the Real Short North”

While I’m not 100% on who the “real short north” is, I am fairly certain I prefer “bro’s” to them.

gramarye
    Participant

It sounds like the college kids aren’t exactly taking over the neighborhood so much as maybe one or two establishments three nights a week, in a neighborhood that stretches all the way from Downtown to Fifth. I’m really not seeing the problem here. In fact, not only is this good for bringing business into the Short North, but as others have already mentioned here, the fact that these places seem to mix both the college crowd and the young professional (i.e., just-past-college crowd) probably helps a lot in keeping Columbus on their radar as a place to settle for the long term after college.

If people want to get off campus (and away from Park Street) occasionally for their nightlife, more power to them. The city has plenty more to offer than that.

wpcc88
    Participant

The park st bars are now dead on weekends…

I’m still confused are you referring to the ‘Park Street Complex’ Patio, Tavern, Former Sugar Bar? Because those bars aren’t as popular as they were previously but are still somewhat crowded on the weekends. If you’re referring to the area as a whole then you are extremely delusional.

drew
    Participant

At the end of the day Columbus has an issue with being progressive. Everyone wants this to be a real city, a destination city, the best city but then has the “NIMBY” mentality. Most successful cities where people actually want to visit has an area thriving in students, young professionals, artists, and affluent adults amongst every other demographic. Guess what, we have that too.

Awww baloney. This is just parroting a simple-minded groupthink that forgoes all basic lessons regarding urban planning and history. The fact of the matter is that most of the densest and most cosmopolitan cities in the US are the oldest, and they all went through periods of incomprehensible misery to come to their current condition. You can’t just mix things up willy nilly, wave a wand, and voila – end up with a livable cosmopolitanism. It takes time, and it is an evolution (or else it is an unholy mess).

Furthermore, one of the biggest regional inhibitors to being known for any of the things we want to be known for is the OSU meat head culture. But, hey… if you want to spread it to wherever out of towners congregate, well… lets just see how that works out for us.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It sounds like the college kids aren’t exactly taking over the neighborhood so much as maybe one or two establishments three nights a week, in a neighborhood that stretches all the way from Downtown to Fifth. I’m really not seeing the problem here.

+1

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Furthermore, one of the biggest regional inhibitors to being known for any of the things we want to be known for is the OSU meat head culture. But, hey… if you want to spread it to wherever out of towners congregate, well… lets just see how that works out for us.

Man, I didn’t even go to OSU, and I’m starting to find this holier than thou attitude pretty offensive. Spend some time in Boston, and you’ll find a great mix of college kids and young adults at the bars. With everything you’re saying, you seem like the last group I’d want out of towners to meet.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I think many of us are forgetting that we were once in college/just out of college and the same age as these “kids” that we are debating about. And, many of us chose to move here and attend college here not only because OSU is a stellar university – or any other local college for that matter – but also because Columbus was much larger and more “cosmopolitan” than the smaller cities and towns we came from. There was a myriad of things to do in comparison. That’s a huge factor in attracting these kids today. I am not a hipster or an artist but I hang out quite often in Franklinton and on 4th street. I also hang out on campus during football games. Should I be banned because I’m 34 with a job in real estate? Do I have no business being in these neighborhoods? I have options, which is the beauty of living in a city this size. You can’t restrict certain districts to certain types of people. Sure, there are going to be a few idiots in any crowd. Guess what, I’ve seen guys and gals in there 30’s and 40’s being total drunkin idiots in the Short North. There are bars. People drink too much. Things get out of hand. Happens in any neighborhood. I suspect that many of the people complaining about the younger crowd in the Short North were once categorized in the “young and restless” crowd when they were the same age. But, it’s somehow not fair to them to have to put up with the younger crowds now that they are older. Sounds like a few are just a bit grumpy because they chose to live near a lively district with nightlife. But hey, you chose to live next a lively district with nightlife so…….

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Sounds like a few are just a bit grumpy because they chose to live near a lively district with nightlife. But hey, you chose to live next a lively district with nightlife so…….

+1
    Totally agree. It’s like the people who move in next to an airport and then complain incessantly to the local authorities about noise and rattling walls from roaring jets and planes taking off and landing over their homes.

If you didn’t want to live with those things going on, then why the hell did you move there in the first place? You knew what was there, didn’t you? Whose problem is it really?

Deal with it, or move already. Besides, there are still plenty of “less rowdy” neighborhoods and entertainment districts around town.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: