Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus kids in short north

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Campus kids in short north

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045821]Opening a “Pink” would be like chum in the water to the bro-ette contingent.
    Prove to me otherwise.

But, hey, at least it might delay the empty nesters taking over.[/quote]

At least you’re balancing your dislike of large generalized swaths of people across multiple demographic segments.

Coy
    Participant

I just thought the rich white people and their children demographic already had Easton, and Upper Arlington, and Polaris, and Worthington, and Westerville, and New Albany, and German Village, and Victorian Village, and…

drew
    Participant

[quote=1045834]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drew wrote:</div>
    Frankly, to characterize my posts as ‘complaining’ feels like a measure of your bias against what I’m saying…

No, no. I’m perfectly ok with disagreeing with anyone. No one sees eye-to-eye on everything, and that’s ok.

I was seriously questioning the last time I saw you post something about finding a new favorite alt.eats discovery to share with the rest of us, and it seems like it’s been awhile.
    [/quote]

Truthfully, I think it’s structural. When I find or have something that I want to post, I usually know there’s an existing thread for which it’d be relevant and that there’s been a concerted effort to consolidate threads by topic. I have a hard time finding the relevant thread, though, and I usually give up.

I could post it in a new topic, but often when threads are consolidated I cease to know where it went if I’m away from the forum for awhile.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045850]I just thought the rich white people and their children demographic already had Easton, and Upper Arlington, and Polaris, and Worthington, and Westerville, and New Albany, and German Village, and Victorian Village, and…[/quote]

And why would anyone want rich people to spend money in the Short North? Keep the money in the burbs where it belongs!

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045852]Truthfully, I think it’s structural.[/quote]

Well, we’re working on another major update in the future (2015). Our forums have always served a lot of different purposes, so we’re looking at some new ways to streamline and update things for better ease of use. ;)

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045840]remember when there were art galleries in the SN?[/quote]

Is that meant to be a slight to ROYGBIV, Marcia Evans, Duff Lindsay and all of the other galleries that are still in the neighborhood? They don’t count for some reason?

Coy
    Participant

I don’t think its meant as a slight, but notice how the focus is no longer on art in the SN, but luxury retail…

CB_downtowner
    Participant

First of all, compare it to what alternative? Is the trickle of college kids into SN worse than the dead zone that was there before Pint House? College kids / Young professionals make up a nice visiting demographic and a great way to brand the city is for them to visit and have a great time. I would much rather have “bros” walking around at night on the streets than walk on the same strip with nobody else around.

Second, downtown core desperately needs big name retail. If this city wants to brand themselves as an attractive tourist city, we have to start acting like one. I love the indie vibe of the surrounding neighborhoods but it needs to have big brands mixed in there especially stores that stay open later at night. I would never shop at Zara or Anthropologie, but it would add an element to Columbus that has been long missing.

I agree that I would hope this type of retail influx doesn’t come at the expense of pushing out independents. If it does, I hope there’s an easy transition to great emerging neighborhoods where these independents would thrive like Franklinton and Discovery District which I would hope is something that’s naturally happening anyway.

ehill27
    Participant

You can’t (and probably shouldn’t try to) keep the kids out, but I do think it would be good to start a campaign to remind folks to be considerate of those who live here.

As someone who lives just off High, I’ve first hand experience of folks (of all ages) amped up on good times and headed back home or to their cars at 2:30am/closing time.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045895]I don’t think its meant as a slight, but notice how the focus is no longer on art in the SN, but luxury retail…[/quote]

I thought the focus was on college kids infiltrating the bars?

So many groups of people to hate on that I’m losing track! ;)

Coy
    Participant

Oh, I’m all for the college kids going to bars.
    Considering I’m still (marginally) able to claim to be one of them…
    :)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I love how easy it is to deflect any hint of valid critizism nowadays just by calling someone “a hater”.

We live in a strange and wonderful time.

Zooky
    Participant

For all of you who claim Park street is now getting the college crowd – false. It was. Walk there lately? Park Street is dead! Ever since Corso sold, those bars have tanked & now all the 18-24 come to line up at Pint House.

The reason I am bitching is I recently sold my condo downtown, moved into VV & I have college kids all around me.

Evidently Columbus is going to stay a college town, when our best tourist attraction will now become campus south.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I like campus kids. The call me “man” or “dude” instead of the dreaded “sir” I deal with in real life. Growing up sucks!

wpcc88
    Participant

[quote=1046013]For all of you who claim Park street is now getting the college crowd – false. It was. Walk there lately? Park Street is dead! Ever since Corso sold, those bars have tanked & now all the 18-24 come to line up at Pint House.

The reason I am bitching is I recently sold my condo downtown, moved into VV & I have college kids all around me.

Evidently Columbus is going to stay a college town, when our best tourist attraction will now become campus south.
    [/quote]

I suggest that you go to Park Street Thursday after 10pm to Saturday at 230-3am. Park Street is far from dead, if anything the AD Bars are more popular and crowded than ever. This along with Pint House, Bakersfield, Bernards, Short North Tavern and Arch City have become popular with recent grads or the ‘college kids’ that you all keep referring to ‘us’ as in this thread. The demographic is more 24-30 than 21-23(most of which are still undergrads).

You are most likely surrounded by recent graduates and/or graduate students. They pay significantly higher rents than campus and actually make money. They also want to stay in the city rather than break for the burbs so stop complaining! Maybe some of you should have done your homework before moving to the neighborhood. When I lived off of Hubbard after graduation my neighbors were a high school administrator(early 60s) and a couple one was a lawyer for The Limited(mid-30s, early 40s). Two of my roommates were graduate students and I was working in the consulting field all early to mid-20s. To me that is what made the neighborhood great! It all really depends on where you live in the neighborhood. I highly doubt any of you are living among 18-22 year olds in VV unless they are under the same roof. Now if you live north of 5th Ave, then I certainly could see that happening. But as far as in the vicinity of Pint House, I don’t believe it because 95% of them are priced out of that area.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.