Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus kids in short north

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Campus kids in short north

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

What you’re actually seeing is a lot of recent graduates and young professionals. I have been out for 3 years and many of my friends live in the Short North and we frequent Pint, Bakersfield, Arch City, Bernards and Short North Tavern. Those are the places to see and be seen now; I personally can tell Columbus is growing just from the night life scene beginning about this past spring. There are lines to get in everywhere on Park Street, restaurants along High Street and in the Arena District are packed from dinner to close.

The bars where you want these ‘campus kids’ (btw the future of the city) have been insanely packed as well since school has been back in session. It is not the same Columbus as when I moved here 8 years ago, but it is a place that I chose to come back to because it’s alive! Am I a little bitter that people have discovered my little slice of heaven, yes, but I’m also ok with that because it makes our city as a whole better. It is truly a great time to be living here because the quality of life is getting better and better.

Also one last thing to the OP if you have gone to any establishment in the campus area in the past year or intend to do so in the future, please refrain from doing so. Those ‘campus kids’ don’t want to see ‘old folks’ in their neighborhood.

wpcc88
    Participant

[quote=1045718]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    According to what?

Personal observation. You can actually walk the strip, frequent the businesses, and get a sense of who is where.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    Sounds like it’s the only thing you’re choosing to focus on, just so that you can complain about kids being on your lawn.

I don’t care if they’re on my lawn, but I do resent the beer cans, barf, and other trash they leave behind.

You do remember campus in the 90′s, don’t you? The cables they strung along High Street so that the drunk kids didn’t fall into the street after leaving Mustards? People obviously thought it was a problem then, and made significant changes in response to it, but when its exported elsewhere it’s OK?

[/quote]

Where are you seeing all of these things? This seems like a classic case of ‘get off my lawn.’ The crowd after the bars close is not nearly as bad as campus. Most people that frequent those bars are walking home or getting cabs. Really the only place that has trash is around Mikey’s truck just south of Pint and even that is VERY minimal.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

When did the demographics of the Pint House change? I went there once not long after it opened and it was full of bros then. Haven’t been back since… not my scene. I don’t think it’s just campus kids coming to the Short North that give the bars a bro feel. People who hang out in the Arena District are venturing into the Short North as well, and they are hard to distinguish from college bros since they basically dress and act the same despite being a couple years older. Point is, the Short North has come full circle in terms of gentrification. If you want to avoid bros, there are better places to hang out than the Short North. The artists are being priced out and the yuppies are taking over. Not saying it’s good or bad — it just is.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045718]Personal observation. You can actually walk the strip, frequent the businesses, and get a sense of who is where.[/quote]

Of course. But it sounds like you’re being selective in your observations, only to focus on the bad part. If you don’t notice (or overlook) the positive things like a college student shopping at Tigertree or grabbing brunch at Philco, that doesn’t mean that those things are nonexistent.

drew
    Participant

[quote=1045722]
    Of course. But it sounds like you’re being selective in your observations, only to focus on the bad part. If you don’t notice (or overlook) the positive things like a college student shopping at Tigertree or grabbing brunch at Philco, that doesn’t mean that those things are nonexistent.
    [/quote]

I’m observing proportion, not stating anything in absolutes. All I can do is look at the good and the bad, and come up with my best take on whether or not the good outweighs the bad. For every 100 students that come to the SN for newly available cheap beer, how many more do you think come to make purchases in stylish boutiques? I’d guess 1 or 2… could be more, could be less, but almost certainly not by much.

Then, from the perspective of the boutique owner, are those couple of extra purchases a net positive? It’s possible that they aren’t if the reputation shift of the SN due to student behavior (as amply evidenced by the mere existence of this thread) drives away more affluent customers.

FunkBrothers
    Participant

This is an interesting perspective that people are complaining about campus kids in the Short North. Ohio State should look into constructing a dorm tower along High Street in the Short North and marketing them off as premium micro-apartments. I mean I’m glad students are utilizing the Pint House. At least they’re better than folks from Dublin or Hillard coming to the bar as one person from Foursquare alluded to. However, they should at least tip their bartenders. It has the atmosphere of the bars on Park Street which many campus students have been going to on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays for years now.

On the topic of campus kids in the Short North, can we talk about campus student invading Clintonville as of late also? They’re making life miserable for the residents there too.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Is the thread starter just complaining specifically about the Pint House? That’s the only college bar in the shortnorth.

The thread starter would have a fit if they visited Park Street between Goodale and Vine.

Coy
    Participant

Hilariously, at a recent ULI forum, The SNA is pushing that they primarily want to attract empty nesters.
    So, just hang on a bit.
    They’ll push all of us (incl students) out of the Short North and we can go on to complain about Franklinton.

Coy
    Participant

[quote=1045743]Ohio State should look into constructing a dorm tower along High Street in the Short North and marketing them off as premium micro-apartments. [/quote]

They’re working on it.
    Check out the south campus gateway expansion and Campus Partners.
    Growing south, though not quite the SN yet, and building exactly what you describe.

Jason Powell
    Participant

It’s funny, 30 years ago people were complaining about how blighted the Short North was with all of its grit, crime, drugs and prostitution and the need for positive change towards something more vibrant and livable. Now that that has happened, people are complaining about how vibrant and livable the neighborhood has become.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045752]Is the thread starter just complaining specifically about the Pint House? That’s the only college bar in the shortnorth.[/quote]

I’d go even further to say that it probably only has a college crowd vibe on weekend nights.

I haven’t been there too many times myself, but during happy hour I’ve not noticed much of a crowd difference between it and anywhere else in the Short North.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[quote=1045741]I’m observing proportion, not stating anything in absolutes. All I can do is look at the good and the bad, and come up with my best take on whether or not the good outweighs the bad. For every 100 students that come to the SN for newly available cheap beer, how many more do you think come to make purchases in stylish boutiques? I’d guess 1 or 2… could be more, could be less, but almost certainly not by much.

Then, from the perspective of the boutique owner, are those couple of extra purchases a net positive? It’s possible that they aren’t if the reputation shift of the SN due to student behavior (as amply evidenced by the mere existence of this thread) drives away more affluent customers.[/quote]

I guess the problem I have with this stance is that all that’s being done is the identification of a problem without any kind of solution. And it sounds like the problem is that some people think that young people are too immature. Which is also ok as long as they do it in a different area (University District) but not in The Short North (hence, the “get off my lawn” stance).

So what would the solution be? Enforce a 24+ age limit at the entry points to the neighborhood? Require a higher pricing minimum at all bars (there go the $3 Surly Temples I’ve been enjoying for nearly a decade at Surly Girl). Shut down the Pint House?

I don’t like cleaning up other people’s trash either (we pick up plenty of it in our neighborhood and Downtown too) but the sweeping generalizations that all college-aged humans are the worst possible demographic for the neighborhood does not reflect the open-to-all mantra that I typically associate with The Short North and Columbus as a whole.

dubdave00
    Participant

Look all I’m saying is that there are certain types of white kids… ;-)

Sidenote: Are the college kiddos still popping collars? Happened to see Seth Rogen’s awful movie ‘Neighbors’ and it implies they are. I thought that died out like 10 years ago.

drew
    Participant

[quote=1045760]
    I guess the problem I have with this stance is that all that’s being done is the identification of a problem without any kind of solution. And it sounds like the problem is that some people think that young people are too immature. Which is also ok as long as they do it in a different area (University District) but not in The Short North (hence, the “get off my lawn” stance).

So what would the solution be? Enforce a 24+ age limit at the entry points to the neighborhood? Require a higher pricing minimum at all bars (there go the $3 Surly Temples I’ve been enjoying for nearly a decade at Surly Girl). Shut down the Pint House?

I don’t like cleaning up other people’s trash either (we pick up plenty of it in our neighborhood and Downtown too) but the sweeping generalizations that all college-aged humans are the worst possible demographic for the neighborhood does not reflect the open-to-all mantra that I typically associate with The Short North and Columbus as a whole.
    [/quote]

It’d be great if solutions came out of posting on this forum, but I’d settle for a greater realization of the possibility that engineered attempts to connect the university with outlying neighborhoods may not be for the best. At that point, solutions become a collective endeavor (which I think you would agree is generally ideal and usually how things work anyhow).

Regarding the difference between University District and the Short North – there’s a big difference between, for want of a better way to put it, shitting where you live and shitting where someone else lives. The offending behavior isn’t really appropriate anywhere, but if it’s gotta happen then why despoil someone else’s neighborhood? In retrospect, shutting down the bars on south campus amounted to little more than an amateur binge drinker relocation program.

Have you ever noticed how campuses located in just about any city are almost invariably located next to some of the worst parts of town? Might it be because nobody that can afford to live elsewhere would actually want to live next to college kids being college kids? Collectively if not individually, young people learning to live on their own for the first time do obnoxious stuff, make stupid mistakes, and create unpleasantness to the degree that nobody who has a choice will opt to share their environs.

Open-to-all? Absolutely. You can be just about anyone here, and be accepted. But, you can’t just do anything you want to wherever you want to. Drunk & disorderlies, littering, drunk driving, and noise violations are not an accepted part of all communities, and it’s up to each neighborhood to determine how much of it they’re willing to tolerate, no?

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

[quote=1045743] At least they’re better than folks from Dublin or Hillard coming to the bar as one person from Foursquare alluded to. [/quote]

Wait. What?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.