Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Campus kids in short north

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Campus kids in short north

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Zooky
    Participant

How do we get campus kids to stay on campus & out of short north?? Pint House has made it miserable for anyone over age 24 to go out & not feel like they are surrounded by high school kids.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

How do we get campus kids to stay on campus & out of short north?? Pint House has made it miserable for anyone over age 24 to go out & not feel like they are surrounded by high school kids.

Maybe go somewhere that isn’t Pint House. Walk down the street and go to Hubbard, Arch City, or Press.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Yep. I like Mike and Chris, I think their bars have done great things here, but I also realize that their joints tend to get a ton of younger crowds. If you don’t dig the crowd, go to a different spot.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The Short North needs less tolerance and acceptance for sure.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think more college students should explore the Short North and all other neighborhoods. Too many of them don’t venture very far from the OSU bubble and don’t experience all that the city has to offer.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

yep, the short north is a tourist toilet, so it goes…the more kids in the SN, the quieter off campus becomes… glad that density thingy is working out for folks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

yep, the short north is a tourist toilet, so it goes…the more kids in the SN, the quieter off campus becomes… glad that density thingy is working out for folks.

That’s a giant nonsensical leap when the original poster is talking about one specific business on a Saturday night.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

I agree with the sarcasm. Although they may be annoying, they help support the business that keep the area running. Population density has nothing to do with it . As far as I know college students still can’t afford $1200 studio apts

Pro Se
    Participant

The whole point over the years has been to bridge the gap between campus and downtown. That has finally happened and we’re complaining? Big cities don’t get to barricade residents to their respective neighborhoods. It’s the mix we’ve always been after and we finally seem to be achieving it. This also goes far towards the city’s brain gain efforts.

drew
    Participant

The whole point over the years has been to bridge the gap between campus and downtown. That has finally happened and we’re complaining? Big cities don’t get to barricade residents to their respective neighborhoods. It’s the mix we’ve always been after and we finally seem to be achieving it. This also goes far towards the city’s brain gain efforts.

I get what you’re saying, but sometimes it feels like the best of intentions yielding the worst of results. I couldn’t be more behind the idea of campus students seeing and experiencing the rest of the city, but when the effect is that they’re just going to new neighborhoods to spread drunken stupidity (something that could be done anywhere and doesn’t really take advantage of what the city has to offer) then I can’t help but wonder if the efforts to get them outside of campus are worth it.

When you think of all that the SN has to offer, and you realize that so much of the southward migration is all about ‘Pint House, brah’, it makes you wonder if there’s much point in trying to get them off campus. To my mind, there’s a distinction to be made between the ideal of a ‘mix’ and the reality of an undiluted imposition.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pro Se wrote:</div>

I get what you’re saying, but sometimes it feels like the best of intentions yielding the worst of results. I couldn’t be more behind the idea of campus students seeing and experiencing the rest of the city, but when the effect is that they’re just going to new neighborhoods to spread drunken stupidity (something that could be done anywhere and doesn’t really take advantage of what the city has to offer) then I can’t help but wonder if the efforts to get them outside of campus are worth it.

When you think of all that the SN has to offer, and you realize that so much of the southward migration is all about ‘Pint House, brah’, it makes you wonder if there’s much point in trying to get them off campus. To my mind, there’s a distinction to be made between the ideal of a ‘mix’ and the reality of an undiluted imposition.

Where is this migration happening other than one bar, and the line outside of one bar? Because along with the Pint House migration we got Hubbard, Arch City, Brothers Drake, Oddfellows, and more.

If drunk stupidity leads to more vibrancy near downtown, great. Young professionals have a great assortment of bars to choose from in that area. Pint House isn’t my scene. So I don’t go there. I don’t see the big deal unless anyone is actually trying to suggest that the Pint House change their successful business model to start making their bar less friendly to campus folks.

drew
    Participant

If drunk stupidity leads to more vibrancy near downtown, great.

I get where you’re coming from on a lot of this, but that quote seems nonsensical. Drunken stupidity is the kind of vibrancy we want? Bear in mind, we’re not talking about people who live in the neighborhood, so it’s essentially people going to another neighborhood to be disruptive and then leaving the mess behind.

That’s good?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…much of the southward migration is all about ‘Pint House, brah’…

According to what?

Sounds like it’s the only thing you’re choosing to focus on, just so that you can complain about kids being on your lawn.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

This thread reads to me like much ado about nothing. The Short North is more than big enough for everyone, with sub-scenes that suit many different tastes. <—Isn’t this the ideal? I don’t know anyplace else between Chicago and NYC or Philadelphia that can legitimately claim such a distinction for a truly thriving neighborhood district.

Let the kids from OSU come on down. They should be as welcome as anyone else.

Hell, the biggest winner of Pint House being in the SN may be its next-door neighbor, Union Cafe, which at one point looked like it might not survive. You’d never guess that now with the spillover crowds shared between the two.

drew
    Participant

According to what?

Personal observation. You can actually walk the strip, frequent the businesses, and get a sense of who is where.

Sounds like it’s the only thing you’re choosing to focus on, just so that you can complain about kids being on your lawn.

I don’t care if they’re on my lawn, but I do resent the beer cans, barf, and other trash they leave behind.

You do remember campus in the 90’s, don’t you? The cables they strung along High Street so that the drunk kids didn’t fall into the street after leaving Mustards? People obviously thought it was a problem then, and made significant changes in response to it, but when its exported elsewhere it’s OK?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: