Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Camping (w/kids)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Camping (w/kids)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

shy_999
    Participant

I’m looking for information on (tent) camping. It seems like we have a nice variety of people on this board, so I thought I would ask here. My dad took me camping when I was a kid, but I don’t even know where to start with my own family. If you know of any books, websites or anything really that could help me that would be great!

~ME

Schoolboy
    Participant

ummmmmmm

what type of camping?

state park camping

backyard

middle of nowhere

if you are that concerned… i suggest the state park. you can even buy firewood there, and they supply the tp. buy a tent for the appropriate amount of people you are taking, don’t forget to pack the lighter fluid, pack a cooler… hot dogs are great for beginners… take a cast iron skillet for scrambled eggs in the morning. you may want to take the grate off your grill at home with you incase there isn’t one on the fire ring at the park. that way you can put your skillet on there. any other questions, let me know. i consider myself an advanced camper, but i go the state park route a lot too due to kids. they enjoy the backpacking as well… but my back doesn’t.

Ndcent
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

hocking hills is a very nice area. i think they have cabins too if you were wanting that kind of thing.

cahill

my BF and i go hiking down in the Hocking Hills at least 2 times a month. It’s great family fun! So much to do too!

Anonymous
    Inactive

oh god, you are going to be another horrible parent i can see. My father forced myself, brother, and my mother to go up to vermont, or upstate ny at least twice a year growing up, and now all 3 of us HATE the outdoors with a passion. So much so that my brother and I refuse to have gardens, and I am considering pouring conrete all over my grass.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Home

Decent prices, cute cabins that are pretty secluded. There’s more sites too, but I’ve rented those before.

shy_999
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote ummmmmmm

what type of camping?

state park camping

backyard

middle of nowhere

if you are that concerned… i suggest the state park. you can even buy firewood there, and they supply the tp. buy a tent for the appropriate amount of people you are taking, don’t forget to pack the lighter fluid, pack a cooler… hot dogs are great for beginners… take a cast iron skillet for scrambled eggs in the morning. you may want to take the grate off your grill at home with you incase there isn’t one on the fire ring at the park. that way you can put your skillet on there. any other questions, let me know. i consider myself an advanced camper, but i go the state park route a lot too due to kids. they enjoy the backpacking as well… but my back doesn’t.

The state park sounds like the route we would go. I’m going to their site to look for more info. Thank you.

Ndcent, thanks for the site! it’s very informative.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

I’d second whoever mentioned hocking hills above. I’ve done a lot of camping, and would recomend that area for someone looking to get out a bit for the first time without roughing it too much.

You can somewhat have your cake and eat it too there, “car camping” by pitching your tent, but having your car nearby so you can bring coolers and such things that you wouldn’t necessarily carry to more primitive spots. And, this being an especially important amenity for first timers, they have regular bathrooms with running water.

Of course, you’ll be awfully close to other campers, especially during peak season. But it’d be a good way to get started.

It’s also nice because there are a variety of trails to hike there, of varying lengths and difficulty, so you can really tailor a trip to fit your family’s interests and abilities.

As for looking for equiptment, one place I highly recomend is Campmor (www.campmor.com) you can get some really good deals there, and they have a very wide selection of stuff.

shy_999
    Participant

20thousandinmypocket wrote oh god, you are going to be another horrible parent i can see. My father forced myself, brother, and my mother to go up to vermont, or upstate ny at least twice a year growing up, and now all 3 of us HATE the outdoors with a passion. So much so that my brother and I refuse to have gardens, and I am considering pouring conrete all over my grass.

LOL, I doubt I’m going to be quite that bad! I’m just trying to think of ways to keep us all active and together. Since we visit Alum Creek beach up in deleware once or twice a year, I thought maybe camping overnight might be fun. If they begin to express a deep dislike for camping I won’t force them to do it.

shy_999
    Participant

old man’s cave/ hocking hills is one of the places we want to try for. There is also a train that runs down in southern ohio that we want to find a camp ground near.

I agree with what everyone is saying… which by what I’ve gathered is:

For the first few times out take it as easy as possible. Camp grounds that allow you to park near by, places you can rent a tent, and camp grounds that have a few amenities.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback!

ddavis

When I was a kid I enjoyed “camping out” in the backyard. We did live in the country though…..

brothermarcus
    Participant

there are several good options if you work the state parks, i’m going down to zaleski state park south of nelsonville next weekend- but i’m not sure that small kids could handle the steep terrain… maybe save that one for later. in the summer months canoeing at either mohican or mad river canoe livery both offer camping opportunities. I volunteer with scouts so I get to go to some non-public camps, but especially in southern and southeastern ohio- the options for public/private experiences are literally unlimited. longer family trips i find enjoyable include houseboating on lake cumberland, mammoth caves, and the trails south of gatlinburg… there’s an excellent KOA at Niagara falls as well, only 6 hours drive away!

shy_999
    Participant

brothermarcus wrote there are several good options if you work the state parks, i’m going down to zaleski state park south of nelsonville next weekend- but i’m not sure that small kids could handle the steep terrain… maybe save that one for later. in the summer months canoeing at either mohican or mad river canoe livery both offer camping opportunities. I volunteer with scouts so I get to go to some non-public camps, but especially in southern and southeastern ohio- the options for public/private experiences are literally unlimited. longer family trips i find enjoyable include houseboating on lake cumberland, mammoth caves, and the trails south of gatlinburg… there’s an excellent KOA at Niagara falls as well, only 6 hours drive away!

The scouts have some really nice camps. When my family was with the boy scouts we went to Camp Lazarus in Deleware every year. I’m thinking about putting my oldest boy in boy scouts. He’ll be seven in May.

My friend Stephanie and I are going to go canoing this year and we had planned to goto Mohican. I figured I would check it out first before I bring the boys along (including the husband lol). The tubing sounds good, but I don’t think my boys would stay on the tubes.

Ndcent posted a link to the KOA website and I have been browsing that for about a half hour and I’ve gotten a lot of ideas. With that and the state parks site I think I can put together a nice “beginner” outting that shouldn’t bore my children to death.

~ME

Ndcent

For the rest of you campers, check out the “remote camping sites” down at Lake Hope State Park sometime…theres only two of them and they’re only accesible by canoe or row boat. To reserve the spot or both of them (they’re actually nearly next to eachother) you should call first to the park office. I’ve been out to these sites a handful of times and it’s always a blast because like the name implies it’s REMOTE. It’s a good 20 minutes canoe or 30-40 in a row boat to these sites. Last time I was there we were surrounded by a family of beavers at the lake front site that were all swiming aroung and doing their thing. The sound they make when they “clap” their tails? on the water is LOUD as hell it sounds like .22 gun shots, pretty cool camping for ohio.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: