Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cafe Lola @ Broad and High news?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Cafe Lola @ Broad and High news?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

News anyone?

I was hoping this might be Michael Symon Lola/Lolita related.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s very briefly mentioned here and here but no real details have emerged. At least not any I can find.

:?

Brewmaster

ilovethiscity wrote I was hoping this might be Michael Symon Lola/Lolita related.

I hadn’t made that connection, but in the latest edition of Food & Wine Magazine, there’s an article on Michael Symon. Apparently he’s looking to expand to other cities…so it’s at least a possibility.

Brewmaster

Well…no Michael Symon for us…

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2007/12/03/newscolumn1.html?ana=from_rss

Looks like another good lunch option though.

Thanks Brewmaster.

I seldom have something negative to say about growth and development.

These just weren’t the type of restaurant I was hoping for.

Oh well…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Dispatch wrote The Soupman and Lola

Office workers Downtown, get ready: Cafe Lola opened last week on the north side of Broad Street at High Street, and the Original Soupman is within a week of opening its store next door.

Cafe Lola is the latest venture by Kevin Ames, who has started a number of widely known restaurants, including Frezno, Dagwoodz and the Press Grill in the Short North and Cafe Iliana on Gay Street and Riverside Drive.

Ames said he’s targeting the “grab-it-and-go crowd,” with all dishes served within four minutes. The average price for lunch, including drink and a side, is between $5 and $6.50.

“We have gourmet salads tossed to order, quesadillas, wraps, panini, subs, pizza thins and soups,” Ames said. The store can seat 40 indoors and will add 20 seats on a patio when weather and construction clears. It also will serve breakfast. Hours are 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays.

READ MORE

dirtgirl
    Participant

Just ate there today. It was very good and service was quick, as advertised. The choices are almost overwhelming – large selections of salads, wraps, paninis, sandwiches and thin pizzas. Also has a breakfast menu. The place was packed at noon but lots of people were waiting to take-out and tables opened fairly quickly.

Can’t wait for the soup place!

Columbusite

Too bad it’s just targeting the office lunch crowd. We already have plenty of those and you don’t hear about them for good reason.

Roland
    Participant

Columbusite wrote Too bad it’s just targeting the office lunch crowd. We already have plenty of those and you don’t hear about them for good reason.

Yeah this is a bummer. I hope that if we continue making an effort to visit placed open for business on Saturdays. That it will at least help to show that there is demand for places to be open for downtown residential customers.

If we want a vibrant downtown, we need to do our parts right?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Roland wrote If we want a vibrant downtown, we need to do our parts right?

Agreed! Being positive with your feet and your dollars toward your personal preferences goes a much much further than being negative about your personal preferences towards the people who don’t meet your expectations!

Hooray for Roland! A true Columbusian! :D

Roland
    Participant

Here’s an idea. Maybe we should make post-it notes to place on the doors of places we would be spending money at if they were actually open for business.

Something like, “Hey Soupman , Came here for soup at xxx AM/PM. No business for you!” If we kept doing that, maybe it would help show demand.

—-

Title : MISSED YOU

NOTE : “Came here to spend money, you weren’t here.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Roland wrote Here’s an idea. Maybe we should make post-it notes to place on the doors of places we would be spending money at if they were actually open for business.

Something like, “Hey Soupman , Came here for soup at xxx AM/PM. No business for you!” If we kept doing that, maybe it would help show demand.

That sounds like an awesome idea! Does anyone know of any printing companies that will do pre-printed Post-It notes on the cheap? We can get some generic ones made and pass them out to CU’ers to stick on any closed business they encounter. :D

Columbusite

It’ll work, except for places where there’s only one sticker which would only serve as a reminder for why they don’t stay open later Downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbusite wrote It’ll work, except for places where there’s only one sticker which would only serve as a reminder for why they don’t stay open later Downtown.

Rule of thumb… when one person speaks up it means there are at least a dozen others who feel the same way that aren’t speaking up.

dirtgirl
    Participant

That’s an odd response. Office workers have to eat somewhere, and I’m not sure why you would relegate us to only having anonymous choices unworthy of note. We appreciate good food too.

As someone who often works past 5, it bothers me too that many places downtown close at 3 or 4. Try grabbing a quick bite between meetings at 6:30 pm! You’re pretty much stuck with the vending machines in the Statehouse basement.

Seems like unless we support these new places by going for lunch, they won’t have much reason to try opening at other times.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO