Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

C-Bus has 8 police helicopters! (PS- That's more than NYC)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics C-Bus has 8 police helicopters! (PS- That’s more than NYC)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Walker wrote >>
    Is this something for Mayor Coleman to address, or something for the new Police Chief to address?

Coleman’s the one talking about cutting police for budgetary concerns, so I’d assume he could cut helicopters ;)

True M, but the article also runs comparisons to Indianapolis & Dallas (4), Austin & Charlotte (2), Louisville (1), etc. so it seems a pretty fair concern.

Bear
    Participant

Hmm. The fact that rides are in theory available to members of the public, and the fact that the helicopters themselves are rocket-fast nausea machines, pretty much cancel each other out. Drat.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

6 copters may seem excessive (2 for sale.. keep that in mind) but the interview in the article hints at something that is not specifically stated when it is stated that using less than 6 would “wear out” the aircraft. It may be disingenuous to merely hint at what is ment by that then to print it outright.

Aircraft are rated by flight hours in a similar way that cars are valued by miles driven. If the police were to operate with the bare minimum number required for the desired 16 hours/day coverage (actually I had heard that had been dropped to 12, but maybe I heard wrong) then 2-3 choppers would be absorbing 5800 flight hours/year (and all the associated maintenence costs required at certain hourly intervals for each). If one spreads that out to 8 choppers (2 older ones are being sold… remember this… it’s important) then those choppers will be HALF AS OLD when they are resold which equals greater resale value.

The resale on these things is a lot of money, and it MAY be, but I do not know for sure, that they are planning on using aircraft with higher resale value after a few years to allow the city to continue upgrading the fleet less expensively than having to totally replace aircraft that have worn out. A planned turnover of a percentage (1/4) instead of worn-out replacements of 1/2 or 2/3 of a fleet that are nearly worthless.

I.E. saving taxpayer dollars.

The value of the aircraft themselves becomes painfully obvious to anyone who simply listens to the police scanner for a few days… VERY rapid response + the ability to stay on top of something and pin someone to track or limit their movements = more crooks busted. Most chopper runs are burgler alarms and “xxx in progress” type calls, including following reported drunk drivers to avoid high speed chases (one of which that I overheard turned out to be a certain ex OSU footballer with a carload of guns) the rest I have heard have been calls to help search an area for someone. I have heard on more than one occasion the chopper arrive well in advance of officers in cars, light up the area to make sure nobody can leave without being seen and direct officers to where they are hiding (in one case I heard a convenience store near my house) to make an arrest.

No… There are a number of things NOT reported in that article: The number of apprehensions assisted by aircraft, the estimated resale values of the aircraft, the estimated replacement cost of new aircraft… etc…

in conclusion, this is an article with no real facts except the cost of operations of the aircraft unit, and comparisons to other cities that may or may not be “apples to oranges” comparisons attempting to draw a conclusion that is unsupported by the information reported.

More information is required to form an valid and informed opinion on this. I personally would like to see a more detailed reporting of this before forming any conclusions.

Mike, You are absolutely right on the value of the helicopters. I was slightly skeptical of the true value of the choppers before riding along. I went up on a Friday night in July from 10pm-12am, which was incredibly active. We were able to track down 3 stolen cars, which led to the arrest of 5 individuals alone. As well as provide support (and one damn big light) to officers on the ground. I really hope that the unit isn’t changed despite the outcome of the tax levy because it is a great tool that is used. I would think there are other areas to trim the fat before the choppers.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I like knowing the ghetto birds are watching over me though I understand the concern. If my house is getting broken in to, the helicopter flying overhead isn’t really going to protect me like a dood in a cruiser could.

RMM, any idea why they would add to the fleet before turning over the 2 choppers they are currently trying to sell? Is there a magic # of air time they wouldn’t want to go over and risk a significant decrease in value? Do we have any ideas when the last one was purchased? If they are all a few years old I’m not as concerned. If one was purchased in the last 12 months or so, I’m a bit perplexed.

misskitty
    Participant

There is no escaping the ghetto bird they will find you. LOL

Rockmastermike
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I like knowing the ghetto birds are watching over me though I understand the concern. If my house is getting broken in to, the helicopter flying overhead isn’t really going to protect me like a dood in a cruiser could.
    RMM, any idea why they would add to the fleet before turning over the 2 choppers they are currently trying to sell? Is there a magic # of air time they wouldn’t want to go over and risk a significant decrease in value? Do we have any ideas when the last one was purchased? If they are all a few years old I’m not as concerned. If one was purchased in the last 12 months or so, I’m a bit perplexed.

The last I remember hearing them buying any was a couple of years ago. It was about the time the one made an emergency landing on Whittier Penninsula in 2007. ( http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2007/11/01/helilift.ART_ART_11-01-07_B1_JO8BBOG.html?sid=101 )

yes… As I suspected… I just did a google search and found this article about CPD buying 3 copters in 2007 (to bring the total up to 9) as part of a “planned fleet replacement program”.
    http://www.alea.org/public/newsletters/07_04/index.aspx#Columbus

apparently the cost for these was 1.1 million each. That’s more than 3 times the operating costs so it looks to me like it makes a heck of a lot of sense and saves money in the end.

Operating costs with one flying at a time are similar no matter how many aircraft they have. A copter on the ground gathers no flight-hours.

Roland
    Participant

There’s probably a maintenance schedule game that goes with the shuffle. They have their normal minor and major inspections. I’ll guess every 25 flight hours and 150 for a major. They also have Time Before Overhaul concerns to worry about. When these times come up your incurring some serious maintenance costs.

groundrules
    Participant

all I know is that them birds be screwin’ up my fancy DTV signal.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Thanks, RMM.

OK, so this makes sense. I don’t see any problems with the current situation. CPD probably didn’t expect to be sitting on those 2 for sale this long, just as people didn’t expect to lose their jobs, not be able to sell a house, etc. Sounds like our fleet is operating at a most efficient and fiscally responsible level when you remove them from the equation.

Are there enough of us on this board to pool money and buy one of those choppers? How fun would that be!?! I could get to work and back in like 4 minutes, woohoo :)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Are there enough of us on this board to pool money and buy one of those choppers? How fun would that be!?! I could get to work and back in like 4 minutes, woohoo :)

YES!!! I’ll put in $20! Lets buy us a whirlywhoosis!

Bear
    Participant

Damn, with a top speed of 160mph? I could be at work almost instantly.

Except I’d throw up once I got there.

Roland wrote >>
    There’s probably a maintenance schedule game that goes with the shuffle. They have their normal minor and major inspections. I’ll guess every 25 flight hours and 150 for a major. They also have Time Before Overhaul concerns to worry about. When these times come up your incurring some serious maintenance costs.

At the bare minimum all aircraft need an annual inspection. Aircraft operated for hire need an inspection every 100 hrs. These helicopters are “public use” flights, so I don’t think that would require a 100hr. A quick check of the regs says that turbine rotorcraft operators can develop one of several maintenance programs, as long as it complies with the manufacturer. Normal time between overhaul on turbine rotorcraft engines is usually about 3000-5000hrs. And those are incredibly costly

Rockmastermike
    Participant

buckeyeaviator wrote >> A quick check of the regs says that turbine rotorcraft operators can develop one of several maintenance programs, as long as it complies with the manufacturer. Normal time between overhaul on turbine rotorcraft engines is usually about 3000-5000hrs. And those are incredibly costly

hmm. that makes a lot of sense then. 5800 flight hours divided over 6 craft means they’ll never have to pay for more than one overhaul a year if they plan it correctly. OR they may actually be able to resell before the first overhauls. That’s a real budget helper.

SueBabe

Somertimeoh, Bear, RockMasterMike – Don’t get too excited about riding your helicopter to work. The head of the company I work for does that, and we all think he’s a pretentious tool. Don’t be THAT GUY. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: