Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

C-Bus has 8 police helicopters! (PS- That's more than NYC)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics C-Bus has 8 police helicopters! (PS- That’s more than NYC)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

Dear Mayor C.,

I’ve always been supportive of your efforts (at least the ones I’ve known about). I also believe that you are speaking the truth when you say that additional revenue is needed for the City, but this, this is appalling! You need to fix this.

How in the world did C-Bus end up with eight police helicopters?! Yes, two are for sale, but why in the world do we need more than two or three?!

3 more must go, or I vote no!

Sincerely,

A dismayed supporter

anillo
    Participant

Oh man. I’m totally picking up a sweet new ride thanks to Columbus’s financial woes. Do they take the spot light off or not?

JonMyers
    Participant

75% of our city budget goes to police and fire. Evidently that’s a lot higher percentage than other cities and evidently that’s a good thing. I’m not schooled enough on the percentages to have an educated opinion, but it seems really high to me.

ehill27
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    75% of our city budget goes to police and fire. Evidently that’s a lot higher percentage than other cities and evidently that’s a good thing…

I’m not debating the value of law enforcement, or even the value of police helicopters for that matter. My gripe is limited solely to the number of helicopters, which even in the best financial times, seems excessive for a city of this size.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

ehill27 wrote >>

How in the world did C-Bus end up with eight police helicopters?! Yes, two are for sale, but why in the world do we need more than two or three?!

Just a guess, but I’d say Chief Jackson was involved.

JonMyers
    Participant

@ehill27 – totally agreed, the amount of copters seems very excessive.

well that explains why every time i am around a situation where someone calls the cops, air support is on the scene before the phone call is complete. seriously, anybody else experienced that? those boys are fast. and numerous, apparently.

honavery

I know they fly over my apt. a lot. I heard this on the radio the other day, it does seem excessive. 4 at the most seems like enough.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Why not just keep them and proclaim ourselves as having the greatest City Air Force in the country? We could be the de facto host of an annual Police Helicopter Pilot Association convention.

I rode last year on one of the choppers for a nightime patrol. I was told that one helicopter is always in the air from noon-4am everyday, flying two hour shifts, or patrols. They are scary fast, as sometimes we were doing almost 160mph over the ground en route to calls for support, which puts virtually anywhere in the city only a few minutes away for the chopper. Obviously this is a huge benefit for the police on the ground, but 8 does seem excessive. From what I know the helicopters are quite maintenance intensive (especially when the 16 hours of patrols can be split between just 2 choppers), so that is a reason to have quite a few, but I think 5-6 would probably be sufficient.

Tigertree

Is there some reason you got to to that ride along or is it open? You can do a ride along in a patrol car right? I would be all about that.

3.6M on the Columbus Air Cavalry definitely seems a bit much when we’re talking about police and fire layoffs…

It is, in theory, open to the public, or at least Columbus taxpayers. However, they only like to provide rides to folks who are in aviation or law enforcement. In the words of the guys I flew with they didn’t want to police chopper to turn into “a carnival ride”. It is also quite intense, especially when orbiting crime scenes, and if you are even slightly sensitive to motion sickness this will bring it out, which is also another reason why they may limit rides. I work as a flight instructor and happen to know the former commander of the unit so it worked out that I got to go.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is this something for Mayor Coleman to address, or something for the new Police Chief to address?

Motorist
    Participant

NYC doesn’t have as many police helicopters because they have a lot more tall buildings to have to go around and in between, making them a lot less effective there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: