Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Buying Groceries Downtown - Quick Review of CVS

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Buying Groceries Downtown – Quick Review of CVS

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yep, CVS.

Located at 105 South High Street, near the corner of State & High, the CVS is one of the most centralized locations Downtown for convenience-style grocery items.

The store is clean, and actually quite large, going pretty far back into the building. Grocery offerings are similar to what you’d find in any other CVS store in Columbus: milk, bread, dry & boxed goods, canned goods, frozen food, snacks, beer & wine, baking goods, condiments and more. Their prices vary between convenience-store pricing and standard grocery-store pricing, especially with items that are on sale. As with other Downtown convenience stores, the only big things lacking are meat/butcher and fresh produce.

It almost looks like a real grocery store in here, no?

Additionally, CVS excels over the other Downtown convenience stores in their offerings with toiletries, medicines, vitamins, cosmetics and other similar pharmacy staples. They also have a variety of other household necessities like umbrellas, batteries, flashlights, etc.

Their store hours are:

Mon-Fri – 7am to 8pm

Saturday – 10am to 8pm

Sunday – 10am to 6pm

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’m here almost every day! Plus they have a pharmacy for all you Rx needs. they have some really good sales and great clearances after the holidays. they are the cheapest place for most items downtown. Always lowest prices on cigarettes and they have lots of 10 for $10 deals on stuff like Gaterade and whatever. And I can buy stuff like snacks at grocery store prices instead of vending machine prices(here in the building). And don’t forget those last minute Birthday cards for the boss!

I use it a lot because I can stop there during lunch or on the way home if I need something and that way I don’t have to stop somewhere else before I get home. (catfood, cigs, soda)

And CVS sells stamps at the front counter for face value. I haven’t seen the mobile USPS truck for a while and the bank ATM charges you more than face value(if you haven’t noticed, add it up).

For stores in Dtwn area it’s either CVS or Huntington basement.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    For stores in Dtwn area it’s either CVS or Huntington basement.

What’s Huntington basement?

lifeliberty
    Participant

there is a market in the basement of the Huntington Building. In the basement of the Huntington there is a florist, barbershop, shoe shine, doctors office, and a convienience store.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I forgot to mention in the initial post…

While this CVS is great for office workers, and LL has stated, I imagine it’s going to be an even bigger asset for the approximately 300 new residents who will be moving into the Annex at River South soon:

http://www.lifestylecommunities.com/the-annex-at-river-south/overview

Located right around the corner, just a block away.

gramarye
    Participant

I think the downtown CVS is underappreciated because it’s (a) a chain and (b) not a full-fledged grocery store. It’s still useful to have around. I’ve been in there a number of times and generally thought the prices were pretty reasonable for what that space has to cost.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I love when they run buy one get one deals on the makeup I like!

Also, the guys who run Huntington basement are really nice too.

BCNation
    Participant

I spent a lot of $$$$ between Wal-Mart and CVS. I’ve never been to the Huntington basement, but I don’t work in that building….
    I occasionally have grabbed lunch @ C-Town Market & Deli, though.

gramarye
    Participant

Hah! This thread is the first I’ve ever heard about the shops in the Huntington basement. They should publicize more; I’ve been in that building probably ten times and never found them.

ETA: I just realized something … maybe I haven’t. Are we talking about the Huntington Building or the Huntington Center? I’ve been in the tower many times. The actual Huntington Building on the corner of Broad & High, not so much. Only twice.

patient_zero
    Participant

And don’t forget photo needs: flash cards, batteries, digital imaging, film and film developing (when you are going old school), usb cables.

When Cord vacated their downtown location, and Rocket Photo closed in the mall, it left a huge void for photographers (not to mention the pro labs that closed as well).

Full service camera stores are a dying breed nationally, sad to say.

Columbusite

I’ve been there for my camera needs.

gramarye
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>

I have to imagine the Internet has a lot to do with that. The ability to sell over a wider area is all the more important for goods that don’t have a large base of customers concentrated in one area. Everyone needs toilet paper; not everyone needs the more high-end, specialized camera equipment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I forgot to add that they also have some DVDs for sale by the register. Mostly movies I wouldn’t watch (Grumpy Old Men Part 4) but worth noting for anyone desperate for a flick.

Speaking of which… I wonder if a RedBox downtown would do well. They seem to be really popular.

pedex
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

patient_zero wrote >>

I have to imagine the Internet has a lot to do with that. The ability to sell over a wider area is all the more important for goods that don’t have a large base of customers concentrated in one area. Everyone needs toilet paper; not everyone needs the more high-end, specialized camera equipment.

isn’t the net its digital that did em in

capital photo on gay street closed for that reason, lack of demand cause digital removed the need to have film developed

pedex
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    Hah! This thread is the first I’ve ever heard about the shops in the Huntington basement. They should publicize more; I’ve been in that building probably ten times and never found them.
    ETA: I just realized something … maybe I haven’t. Are we talking about the Huntington Building or the Huntington Center? I’ve been in the tower many times. The actual Huntington Building on the corner of Broad & High, not so much. Only twice.

they are talking about 41 south high(huntington center) not 17 south high st, not that it means all that much cause you can go directly from one to the other via the basement tunnels

the basement of 41 south high has a florist, shoe shine guy, doctor’s office, convenience shop, post office kiosk and tunnel to take you to 77 south high or 17 south high

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.