Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 212 total)
  • Author

InnerCore
    Participant

bman said:
    First, yes I have valet parked at Easton. Two, most of my trips are to one or two stores so I go to those stores and park.

I am beginning to think there are about 50 people gung ho for new mass transit in this metro area and 40 of them post on here.

That’s funny, I’m beginning to think most people are simply uninformed about what mass transit is and there are 50 people who simply hate the fact that the world is changing and 40 of them post on here.

Mass transit allows us to be more fiscally responsible but you’re one of the ideological people who says they care about being fiscally responsible while supporting subsidized highway expansion.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bman said:

I am beginning to think there are about 50 people gung ho for new mass transit in this metro area and 40 of them post on here.

Really, this is about the only place I hear about public transit at all outside of a few friends and I who’ve lived in other areas.

InnerCore
    Participant

So for arguments sake, for the people who are against public transit, what solution would the propose for the lack of parking.

GCrites80s
    Participant

rus said:
    Really, this is about the only place I hear about public transit at all outside of a few friends and I who’ve lived in other areas.

Right, not much thinking or talking about it by most people is all that is necessary. People use it when it exists, they don’t when it doesn’t. They learn how to use it and where it goes. That’s all the effort required of them.

I mean, do people outside the industry need to spend a lot of time talking about the sewers? Or the power lines?

rus
    rus
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    So for arguments sake, for the people who are against public transit, what solution would the propose for the lack of parking.

I wouldn’t say I’m against public transit per se, but if the choice is COTA or driving and the destination is appealing enough to overcome the hassle then parking garages seem a good solution.

InnerCore
    Participant

rus said:

Here is a survey of young professionals:

http://www.columbus.org/services/workforce-development/young-professionals/2011-state-of-the-young-professional/

Turn to page 18 where they asked if they could have one wish to make Columbus a magnet for young people. The top response had to do with alternative transporation.

InnerCore
    Participant

rus said:
    I wouldn’t say I’m against public transit per se, but if the choice is COTA or driving and the destination is appealing enough to overcome the hassle then parking garages seem a good solution.

Private developers aren’t going to build parking garages because they aren’t profitable. So basically your solution is for us to build city owned subsidized parking? That doesn’t seem to fiscally responsible.

rus
    rus
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    Here is a survey of young professionals:

http://www.columbus.org/services/workforce-development/young-professionals/2011-state-of-the-young-professional/

Turn to page 18 where they asked if they could have one wish to make Columbus a magnet for young people. The top response had to do with alternative transporation.

From that:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2aBjIN4.jpg[/IMG]

So about 9% of respondents mentioned “better public transportation”. 37% mentioned some keyword, not all of which are public transportation ( biking / walking ).

No wonder I haven’t heard much anywhere else.

rus
    rus
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    Private developers aren’t going to build parking garages because they aren’t profitable.

Citation?

cmhcow
    Participant

rus said:
    Citation?

I have studied this issue, interviewed people in the local parking industry and parking garages aren’t revenue generators. Think about it. Name one garage that was build strictly for profit? Try naming one garage that isn’t either building by the public sector or that is part of some other trip generator (arena, office building, hotel, etc.).

rus
    rus
    Participant

cmhcow said:
    I have studied this issue, interviewed people in the local parking industry and parking garages aren’t revenue generators. Think about it. Name one garage that was build strictly for profit? Try naming one garage that isn’t either building by the public sector or that is part of some other trip generator (arena, office building, hotel, etc.).

Part of some other trip generator… you mean like a desirable neighborhood destination?

If parking garages aren’t currently a revenue generator, does that mean they can’t be? Or is it more that a neighborhood by itself isn’t a desirable enough destination to support a parking garage like a built destination is?

mrpoppinzs

cmhcow said:

[b]Ohio State Gets $483 Million Bid for Parking Lease[/b]

They ended up getting half a billion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a 50 year lease with a private for profit parking company. That company is looking to make money on top of their investment.

GCrites80s
    Participant

But the company didn’t have to build the structures themselves or acquire the land.

mrpoppinzs

GCrites80s said:
    But the company didn’t have to build the structures themselves or acquire the land.

I think it shows that parking structures can be revenue generators. I would be greatly surprised to hear they didn’t generate $$$ for OSU.

rus
    rus
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I think it shows that parking structures can be revenue generators. I would be greatly surprised to hear they didn’t generate $$$ for OSU.

Well done.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 212 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.