Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 212 total)
  • Author

Polis
    Participant

Walker said:
    Well, the problem with business foot traffic today is a wind chill of 5 degrees. ;)

That should help with lowering parking demand, one step closer! New plan: Giant A/C units, snow machines and ice-cubes, everywhere, all over the ‘hood.

Graybeak
    Participant

No. you have that wrong. It increases parking demand, because no one wants walkability when it is 5 degrees. I want to drive my car right up to the front door of the business and rush in.

silly.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Short North Parking Survey

On behalf of the City of Columbus, we are seeking your input on parking issues affecting the Short North District. By completing the following short survey, you will help us develop a deeper understanding of how well our existing parking supplies, policies, and management approach are serving the needs and expectations of our Short North business owners, employees, residents, and visitors. The survey is designed to be brief but detailed.

If you “wear multiple hats” as a Short North stakeholder or your Short North experience is more complex than the survey questions allow you to indicate (e.g. you own a business with unique parking challenges at different points in the year) you may repeat the survey, varying your responses as necessary to provide the level of detail required to capture your experiences.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ColumbusShortNorthParking

More info on the study, http://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=66697

News
    Participant

Studies Look For Solutions to Parking Woes in German Village, Short North
    March 7, 2014 – Brent Warren

https://www.columbusunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/parking-meter-large-2014.jpg

Studies are underway in both German Village and the Short North, as city and neighborhood leaders look to tackle one of the most common symptoms of successful urban neighborhoods; conflict over parking.

The city’s Department of Public Service has hired a team of consultants to study the issue in the Short North, where the first of three public open houses is scheduled for March 13th at the Goodale Park Shelter House.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/studies-look-for-solutions-to-parking-woes-in-german-village-short-north-bw1

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

So, IOW, we are starting to be just like the ‘big boys’ in citydom (Chicago, Seattle, Boston, etc.).

Mandevilla King
    Participant

I live in German Village since 1976 and although there have been parking problems in the past in the area of the village where I live, I don’t hear neighbors and other residents complaining about parking in my sector of the village, the Northwest sector, Third Street and Wwest to City Park and Pearl Alley and North to Livingston Avenue. I undersdtand there is a problem in the more residential areas in alleys east of Third Street. The big issue in my sector is crumbling curbs that now pose a safety problem when parking and walking. The powers that be in German Village don’t seem to be able to address that issue and the city is hopeless. For an historic neighborhood and central tourist attraction in Central Ohio it is unbelieveable that sidewalks, curbs and streets are in disrepair. That would not happen in other historic districts say in Georegtown or Old Town in DC and Virginia. I’ve had officials from German Village Society and the City look at the curbs for years and nothing happens. The city actually came out and spray painted orange lines around a dangerous curb section on Beck Street three years ago. The orange warning lines are gone and the curbs and adjacent sidewalks continue to crumble.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

For an historic neighborhood and central tourist attraction in Central Ohio it is unbelieveable that sidewalks, curbs and streets are in disrepair. That would not happen in other historic districts say in Georegtown or Old Town in DC and Virginia. I’ve had officials from German Village Society and the City look at the curbs for years and nothing happens. The city actually came out and spray painted orange lines around a dangerous curb section on Beck Street three years ago. The orange warning lines are gone and the curbs and adjacent sidewalks continue to crumble.

The city hasn’t devoted money to normal curb replacement anywhere for decades now. It’s not sexy, so it gets passed over for other initiatives. Add to that, I believe the curbs in GV and other older areas are stone, which is very expensive to replace. Using concrete instead would look weird.

News
    Participant

Plan Calls for Wide Range of Fixes for Short North Parking Woes
    January 29, 2015 7:30 am – Brent Warren

The City of Columbus is hopeful that a multi-faceted approach will satisfy the many residents, employees, business owners and visitors to the Short North who have issues with the current state of parking in the bustling urban neighborhood.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/plan-calls-for-wide-range-of-fixes-for-short-north-parking-woes-bw1

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

I still don’t get why it has to be everywhere. My block of V.V. has no restrictions and is perfectly fine. Maybe they could just come down this direction.

Seems you shouldn’t be forced into this, either the neighbors want it and invest the time or they don’t.

Now making the area one big section instead of smaller ones makes more sense.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I agree, my street in HW has no restrictions and I don’t think they’re needed. It shouldn’t be forced. Like you said if they took all the permit areas in each of each of the districts and gave them one of three letters that would simplify things and only impact those who’ve already agreed to restrictions.

ehill27
    Participant

My understanding of the last draft plan had HW and “East” IV as free parking, though there might be some limits on the length of stay, particularly in the circles area.

Comments and info at: http://www.columbus.gov/shortnorthparkingstudy/

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

According to the city I am in V.V. (2nd East of Harrison) so I would fall under restrictions

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Is there a map that shows where restrictions are being proposed?

ehill27
    Participant

The most recent DRAFT map that I know of is from the Final Open House on 12/17/2014 (pg 42). Everything west of Neil Ave is listed as free parking, and north of 2nd that free parking boundary moves east to Hunter.

http://www.columbus.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=75445 (pg 42)

Mike88
    Participant

I actually went down to fight a parking permit request my street at asked for. I have lived here two years now and never had to park more than a half block away on the absolute worst days. 99% of the time I park within 50 feet of my front door.

I do not want these unnecessary restrictions that just make it harder for friends to come visit or park.

The tales of Short North Parking Problems are widely exaggerated.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 212 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE