Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)
  • Author

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

This will make bman’s head asplode… and turn the conventional view that conservatives are against mass-transit on its ear.

Salt Lake City: A Conservative State Builds Progressive Transit

GCrites80s
    Participant

Yeah, the Mormons are actually pretty good with that kind of stuff. Sometimes those tight-kint groups are able to understand fresh ideas more quickly than the general population.

jbcmh81
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    The problem is that position isn’t in a position of power right now. So lets follow your logic and say “screw it, if they won’t lets us do light rail, then were not going to do a shuttle in the meantime we’ll show them.”

Then the only thing that happens is that we build more garages, diluting the neighborhood and creating more public funded demand for parking and therefore less demand for rail in the future.

I think you of all people know I’m pretty much as pro rail as you can get. I slam Columbus constantly and pretty much find a way to revert ever topic back to rail because I feel its a huge negative for the area.

But at the end of the day it is what it is. We aren’t getting rail anytime soon. Maybe we do get it a decade from now, maybe we don’t. But what are we going to do about parking in the SN TODAY.

I didn’t say screw it, I just don’t think a shuttle service is going to be the long-term solution people seem to believe here. If Columbus wants to try it, it’s better than nothing.

rus
    rus
    Participant

At least you made the thread asplode… :P

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fixed. :P

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Fixed. :P

Like a schnauzer looking for his nuts.

jbcmh81 said:
    I didn’t say screw it, I just don’t think a shuttle service is going to be the long-term solution people seem to believe here. If Columbus wants to try it, it’s better than nothing.

It’s also lower cost ( no tracks to lay / construction costs ), meets an immediate need ( alternative to parking in the short north / traffic reduction ) and exposes more people to public transit.

I know we disagree on that last point, but again: if more people like and use public transportation then it’s easier to sell other ideas to more people.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

rus said:

It’s also lower cost ( no tracks to lay / construction costs ), meets an immediate need ( alternative to parking in the short north / traffic reduction ) and exposes more people to public transit.

I know we disagree on that last point, but again: if more people like and use public transportation then it’s easier to sell other ideas to more people.

Still doesn’t help to convince people transit is worth it when they’re stuck on a bus, stuck in traffic.

jbcmh81
    Participant

rus said:

That’s the thing, you seem to think that the people of Columbus have to be gradually acclimated to the idea of rail. Public polling for every serious rail proposal for the last 25-30 years has found positive public support, which to me suggests they already are.

rus
    rus
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    That’s the thing, you seem to think that the people of Columbus have to be gradually acclimated to the idea of rail. Public polling for every serious rail proposal for the last 25-30 years has found positive public support, which to me suggests they already are.

*shrug*

Then we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t see much of a culture here for public transit.

kafktastic
    Participant

From the Dispatch: ”A one-year moratorium was placed on any new petitions to establish or expand parking-permit districts in the Short North, Italian Village and Victorian Village neighborhoods so that the city can develop a better system to regulate parking in those clogged neighborhoods.

“The city also has set a community meeting for 5 p.m. on Wednesday in City Hall for residents and business owners in those neighborhoods to discuss better parking solutions.”

The Wednesday meeting at 5 seemed important for those of you who like to rouse rabble.

News
    Participant

Published on August 6, 2013 7:45 am
    Parking Changes Coming to Italian Village
    By: Brent Warren

The city’s Division of Mobility Options, responding to the concerns of neighborhood leaders worried about the current parking-crunch in Italian Village, has come up with a plan to free up 125 spaces during the morning and afternoon rush-hours in the neighborhood.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/parking-changes-coming-to-italian-village-bw1

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

City Officials Look To Solve Short North Parking Problems
    Wednesday December 11, 2013 11:27 PM
    WBNS 10TV

COLUMBUS, OhioThe city of Columbus is working to help ease parking problems in the Short North.

City council updated neighbors on parking proposals at a meeting Wednesday night.
    The lack of curb space is frustrating for customers and businesses in the Short North.

“I do think that people are less willing to come down because they can’t find good parking,” said Trinity Williams.

Read more here.

Polis
    Participant

I may be chided for saying this, but lack of parking is a symptom of a problem. The problem being a lack of ample pedestrian density to support businesses with enough revenue. By pedestrians I am including everyone on the sidewalk, whether you park in front of the store and walk in or walk as your main mode of transport.

To increase the density of pedestrians, additional parking helps but it will never solve the issue if supply of parking never meets demand of parking.

The “problem” of lack of parking needs to be redefined; what the business want is more people crossing their store-front. This should be a multi-faceted approach, not just building parking garages in the heart of the neighborhood, which will ultimately create more congestion up until a certain point.

My end point being, talk about the problem not the symptom.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

No major parking issues in the Garden District. Park in the lot next to Magnolia Thunderpussy and shop for records. Then stop in Fringe and Royal Factory for local fashion and on to Dames Bond and PM Gallery for hand made one of a kind gifts. What the Rock?! and Rivet are right next door with great stocking stuffers for kid and adults. That’s just naming a few options within the same block.

And then when all of that shopping makes you hungry and in need of a libation, you have several bars and restaurants from which to choose. There’s Brother’s Drake, The Table, Surly Girl, Goody Boy, Skully’s, Circus, North High Brewing and many more.

I guess my point here is that it would be nice if I could complain about too many visitors taking up all the available parking in my neck of the Short North. And yes, the Short North begins in the north at E. 7th Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Polis said:
    My end point being, talk about the problem not the symptom.

Well, the problem with business foot traffic today is a wind chill of 5 degrees. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE